Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a new charcoal grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your new WSM. One thing that’ll help with temp controls is replacing the fuel door that comes on it. I’ve got a WSM and they’re a little flimsy and don’t seal well. Check out this article from Meathead. Cajun Bandit makes a replacement door for the WSM and it’s a much tighter fit. Also, after using it a few times, the sections and the lid will gunk up a little and seal much better.

Upgrade your flimsy Weber Smokey Mountain door with this quality version. Arguably the biggest weakness with the otherwise solid build of the Weber Smokey Mountain is the removable front door which is flimsy and leaks. A great solution is to replace it with the heavy duty stainless steel door from Cajun Bandit.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 26, 2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Cachecropp
      Cachecropp commented
      Editing a comment
      Done. Used the link from Meathead’s article and purchased a new door from Cajun Bandit. Also, I’m smoking some chicken on it right now as a first meal and so far it’s been holding between 225-245. I adjusted the vents to 95% closed once the coals were ready.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! I think you made a good decision on the WSM. You’re gonna love it.

A Hasty-Bake Legacy and a WSM 22 will give you an immense of smoking and grilling capacity for under $2K. A Hasty-Bake Legacy by itself will amaze you for about $1200. Just some thoughts on a great combo scenario.

You can search in the Hasty-Bake channel and see write ups from those of us that love ours :-)

The one thing I will say about longevity of the Hasty-Bake is this. I cook on it at least once a week, even in the winter. In the summer it could be as much as 4-5 times a week. I do long cooks (brisket, pork butt, etc) fairly often, although I’ve moved a lot of that to the WSM the last few years. I’ve had my Hasty-Bake for 11 years now. We are talking about something on the order of at least 1000 cooks, maybe more like 1500. I have not replaced anything. Not the firebox, lifting arm, grates. They are all still in good shape. I notice a bit of the powder coating was chipping just a little near the firebox door the other day, so I guess I’ll have to sand it and hit with some high heat paint.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I did have to replace the rivets on the hood hinges last summer. Pop rivets, so they lasted 10 years, which seems pretty darn good.

Heh, just noticed you bought the WSM 22 .... great cooker, I love mine. I replaced the door and added a lid hinge. After about 10 cooks and getting it nicely gunked up inside, I had much better temp control. Also, learning to build smaller fires and open my vents more helped immensely.

Also, there are some great threads on WSM fire management

just got a 22 wsm haven't used it yet, wondering about charcoal setup, I will do the minion method for long cooks, but if I'm cooking something quicker like

Look through the WSM channel for more. :-)

Comment

A few pics of different cooks on a WSM 22 to give you some idea of how much it can handle quite nicely. Also note that when you don’t have that much meat in there, the temps are harder to control. Just not enough thermal mass absorbing heat. Make sure the water pan is full, the fire is small, but hot, and the inside of the barrel is nice and gunky. You don’t want reflective metal inside.

6 racks of ribs, 3 on top and 3 on bottom
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1BF17DFA-B3CB-486A-A1BF-4F8A46837752.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1009102Click image for larger version

Name:	21D92AD5-B59A-46B9-BF64-886B48420A7E.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	1009108

18 lb brisket after trimming :-)

Name:	867253A1-825F-46F7-A887-AE75A5BCA231.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1009103

2 racks of Dino beef ribs and some regular beef back ribs

Name:	684CC482-3EA2-49E1-BA96-C3673D69A632.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	1009106

Kinda small, only 3 racks of ribs

Name:	40450DBB-BCC9-461F-9BB1-49A2F7B78290.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	1009104

10 lbs of pork belly for bacon

Name:	504A1221-BD8F-4D14-A296-10A1EF76FF1E.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1009105

22 lb turkey

Name:	4F67C0D2-86D7-44F3-AB42-E7D0ED87E16E.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	1009107

Comment

The WSM is an excellent choice. I just got one late last year and it is quickly becoming my favorite. My poor pellet pooper is seriously getting lonely.

Comment

Have had some fun with the WSM the last 2 days. I’ve not done any long cooks yet, but I’ve done a pound of bacon, a whole chicken broken into pieces with some extra thighs added and last night I did four 2” thick ribeyes at about 290 with two pecan chunks until they hit 120 deg, rested them for 15 minutes. During that time I removed the barrel and put the grate right on top of the firebox. It got so hot my Thermoworks Smoke hit "HHH" which is north of 700 deg. I seared the steaks on both sides and they were great.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't use those Thermoworks probes when doing direct grilling like that - they get damaged from heat about 700F. I've lost a probe or two over the years and had to replace them...

• Cachecropp
            Cachecropp commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris, that’s exactly what happened. Ruined the probe. Black foam looking stuff oozed out of it. Just ordered a replacement. 😄

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. I haven't seen the foam oozing out, but killed one to where it just never read right again. When doing high heat cooking, I just rely on the dome thermometer. It's "close enough", and I have an IR thermometer I can use to check the temp of things like the flat top or grillgrates.

I've had my Primo XL Oval for about 5 years and have no issues other than a cracked firebox (my son decided to see how hot he could get it...) - Primo replace the firebox which sits in my garage cause the crack makes little difference in performance. I do tighten all bolts a couple times a year - I move it around my paver patio regularly which vibrates the nuts loose. It is without question the best grill/smoker combo I have ever used. Flawless execution.

Comment

That 22” WSM is a fine choice. I gave mine away when I picked up my WSCG. I only occasionally miss it. LOL

I think the WSM smokers are genius...and pretty much recommend them to anyone that will listen.

And as much as I love my Summit grill center...it’s not nearly as portable as the WSM. But that wasn’t a major point for me.

Comment

Did you look at the new hinge for the primo and top cap?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here