Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Cook Times: Including PBC temps and Meat/Veggie Weights (if possible)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you both - that makes more sense. I'm going to try that next time!

Comment

I love this guide!!! I am cooking a stuffed pork loin this weekend - do I hang from two hooks horizontally or place it on the grate? Which would be better?

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        den1303 : On the grate for sure. That stuffing probably wouldn't stay in unless you netted the pork loin, and taking off the net might remove some of that light bark. Have fun!

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 18, 2017, 07:14 PM.

fzxdoc thank you so much and I will be following your lighting instructions!!!

Comment

3.35 lbs. Baby Back ribs. Walkerwoods Spicey Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Pulled at 3 hours, meat at 195 degrees. It was a hot day here in Oakland, CA (104 degrees) at 5:00 PM when I started. 90 Degrees at 8:00. My PBC internal ambient cooking temp was 320 degrees average for the cook. No air leaks, lid was tight.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Hot day indeed.

Originally posted by Thomassen View Post
        3.35 lbs. Baby Back ribs. Walkerwoods Spicey Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Pulled at 3 hours, meat at 195 degrees. It was a hot day here in Oakland, CA (104 degrees) at 5:00 PM when I started. 90 Degrees at 8:00. My PBC internal ambient cooking temp was 320 degrees average for the cook. No air leaks, lid was tight.
        You got any pics? Walkerswood is my favorite. I never thought of using it on the PBC wasn't sure if Jerk is better more on a BBQ type so it gets crisp and burnt then smoke.

I am for sure thinking of doing that maybe with chicken.

Here are my ribs from today.. I think the bark is good but maybe just a tad over done. I didn't care of the seasoning i used either but for sure very nice bark.

The bricky is currently resting.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Thomassen
          Thomassen commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, no pics. Your ribs look great.

fzxdoc , I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious as to what you think the typical finished temp would be for a smoked chuck, in order to get some tender moist slices and some shredded....trying to get the best of both. I was looking to wrap around 180 or when I feel I have the right external appearance. I'm about 4 hours in now, I'm using my KJ kamado its holding right around 225. Just checked my IT and I'm at about 165-170 across 4 chucks.

Comment

• SoCalTim
          SoCalTim commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Kevin, let me ask you a question. I'm doing this cook tomorrow, when you get done - can you post how long it cook. I'd like to get some sort of time frame.

And actually,this thread is actually very active, fzxdoc is really good at getting back and answering questions. Tim

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll let you know.

Well, KevinG , when I take the chuckie to 208-210°F, it pulls very easily. At 201-203°F it slices pretty nicely. So, never having done this myself, I'm guessing around 205°F or so might strike the balance. I'd go closer to slicing temps and settle for having to pull a little harder to get some shredded pieces, if I were going to give it a go.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. Most importantly, have fun with the cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• KevinG
          KevinG commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect, that really helps. Thanks much!

Just did a 20lb turkey for thanksgiving. Spatchcocked and cross bared with temps in the 300 to 325 range. Took 4.5 hours to reach 160 in the breast.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          How did it turn out, GrillSergeantTim? Do you mind if I add your cook time information to the first post here?

Kathryn

I don't mind at all. Turned out perfect

Comment

Fully loaded PBC cook for the first time... 5 large racks of SLCs and 2 racks of BBRs. With lid on, temp held steady at about 220-230, would not go any higher. Ambient temp about 52 deg, slight breeze. Would you say this is normal for a loaded barrel? My temp probe was dead center of the barrel, hung it from a foil 'bridge' between the rebars I made by twisting a sheet of foil into a 'rope' and wrapping each end of it around the center of each rebar (sorry, no pics... next time).

Also, I used one large, softball size chunk of apple wood in the middle of the basket, sort of built a 'donut' of unlit coals around it and used the 15-10-10 lighting method. The wood chunk turned to ash very quickly and left a hole in the center of coals, wondering if that had anything to do with low temp (less radiant surface area?).

Since I'm used to my PBC running about 270-290, I was worried about the timing of my cook with guests coming over, so I cracked the lid very slightly and held a steady 260ish for the duration. At 3 hour mark, they looked great but bend test and toothpick test still not quite ready so sauced and wrapped for about an hour, then into a cambro to hold until serving. Excellent results, nice 'bite', not mushy, just a little longer than my normal PBC rib cooks.

Welcome any feedback...

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I had a similar experience with a loaded PBC. That is a lot of cold meat hanging and then it starts dripping. Definitely will add time to cooks.

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the feedback HawkerXP fzxdoc
          Will have to try those thinner bars and KP.

I agree with HawkerXP , BourBonQ . The PBC can cook massive amounts of food compared to other smokers but you've got to keep the lid cracked much of the time if you want the fire to stay above 250°F, in my experience. It requires more PBC temp babysitting than for normal sized loads, or you have to adjust your expected cook times for the lower temperatures.

I often load the PBC down with 3 chickens and sausages (hanging from modified sausage baskets) and it almost always takes 30-45 minutes or more longer for the chicken than when I'm doing only 1 chicken and a dozen sausages, for example. Ditto for my large rib cooks, much like yours.

For both ribs and chicken I use Kingsford Professional charcoal, basket piled to overflowing before the 40-42 coals are taken out for the chimney. Kingsford Professional runs hotter but for not as long. It helps keep the PBC temps up closer to where I like them for the shorter cooks.

For large cooks and for most poultry cooks, I replace the rebars with thinner steel rods--strong enough to hold the food but the thinner diameter allows for more air flow around the rebar holes. That also helps to keep the temps up pretty high for chicken and in the 270-290 range that I like for ribs.

Kathryn

Last edited by fzxdoc; December 18, 2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Great information, but I'm wondering how much will ambient air temp affect cooking time? Planning on a19 lb. turkey, spatchcocked, on the grill. Last time I did this, it was 65-70 degrees outside & it took about 4-5 hours. Tomorrow, it might top out at 35 degrees. Do I need add some extra time for the cold weather?

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I shouldn't think it will affect it to much unless it windy. Humidity also will slow things down in the PBC.

• Randy_Coyote
            Randy_Coyote commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Hawker. I think it's going to be dry, but cold. Given the buildings around me, wind won't be an issue, unless they're fierce.

This post alone makes my membership fee worth it. Wow. Great job.

Comment

Thanks so much, tlfillingim ! I'm glad it could provide some helpful information for you. Enjoy cooking on that PBC!

Kathryn

Comment

Its been stated many many times, but let me add my thanks. It was your post that convinced me i could do a pork butt. So, here are my stats from this past Monday: 9.7lb pork butt - UNWRAPPED. Outside temp during the cook (for the majority of the time) was around 50'ish. Cook time on the PBC was 10hrs, 22min. Max internal temp reached was 186 deg. PBC coals went out, and cooker temp dropped to meat temp - at that point, the pork butt was put in the oven @ 350 deg for 20 mins where it quickly reached 195 deg internal temp. PBC temps ranged between 250 - 270 degs for the majority of the cook (wild swings during openings and when i switched from hanging to sitting on the grill grate when the internal temp reached 170deg (didn't want it to fall into the coals)). Pork butt was unwrapped during the entire cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here