Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Cook Times: Including PBC temps and Meat/Veggie Weights (if possible)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do it like Kathryn suggests... it works great!

Comment

When cooking a meatloaf on the PBC do you use a pan or just set it on the grate ?

Comment

I set it right on the grate, pottsie. I mold it in a 2.2 liter oval Rubbermaid storage pan and put it in the freezer for half an hour or in the fridge for up to a day so that it is firm, cold, and sticks together nicely when it hits the grill. I put it on the grate in the kitchen and then place the grate in the PBC. You can read more about the method and recipe that I use and see lots of photos by clicking here.

HTH,
        Kathryn

Comment

anyone have experience hanging full racks of beef back ribs? I just picked up two full racks and plan to cook them tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be 3-4 hours in the PBC, plus 2 hours rest.

I'm a little nervous hanging them, so I plan to use two hooks each.

Cheers!

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I have done that... and used 2 hoooks... they take about as long as pork spare ribs, maybe a touch longer. Use the bend method to check when they are done.

Yesterday I cut a 9.1 lb pork shoulder in half and the two halves were done in 5 1/4 hours. Wrapped for the last hour or so. If anyone was wondering about low outside temp and the PBC it was 18 degrees F at the start of the cook and 26 when I finished. Didn't seem to be much of a factor for the halves. Every bit as tasty as leaving it whole and waiting another 3+ hours. Problem was it was done 3 hours before game time.
          -Jim

Comment

Trying my first pork shoulder this weekend on the PBC . I want to try going unwrapped for the whole cook but curious if the PBC will last long enough.
            Following the guidelines of the PBC 18-step start up procedure sticky/thread and getting the initial temp up to the upper 300's-400, how long do you think the PBC will keep temp?
            Others that have done long cooks for shoulder or briskets, do you mound the charcoal basket to get as much fuel in as possible? I saw on this PBC cook-times sticky/thread that there were cook times in the 9 hr range when doing a shoulder unwrapped.
            Thanks in advance

Comment

I did the shoulders below unwrapped all night. I went to the grate late in the cook so I could sleep and not have to worry about them falling. I had to reload for the last hour or so. It doesn't take much on the reload, definitely not a whole chimney if you had a really full basket to start with. That was Kingsford, with B & B I can go much longer. Wanna say the total cook time was about 10 hours. Think I got just over 8 out of the full basket. Meat load will have an affect, obviously.

Click image for larger version

Name:	butts1.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	79252

Comment

• Tim E
                Tim E commented
                Editing a comment
                Good info. Thanks Jerod!

• JPP
                JPP commented
                Editing a comment
                What's with the string? Added protection in case the hooks pull thru the meat? Or were they boneless shoulders?

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                JPP sorry just saw this, bone in, but being that big, they tend to fall apart pretty easy since we take them to 200+/-

This is a spectacular resource and makes for a great starting / reference point for that first cook on the PBC for that meat type. Thank you for the hard work in compiling and updating that list

Comment

You're welcome, krankster ! I hope it helps to lead to some great PBC cooks!

Kathryn

Comment

If it ever stops raining in North Georgia, I want to cook 2 Butts in my new PBC. Will this much meat (8 pounds each) alter the cooking time. I plan to place them on the grill rather than hanging. Should I put them fat side up or fat side down? Thanks. Jim Burgin

Comment

You're going to really love the pulled pork that comes from cooking PBs on the PBC, Jim Burgin !

You may want to consider these thoughts

1. Cut those PBs in half so you get a lot more bark to mix in with the pulled pork. That bark brings a ton of flavor.

2. Hang the PBs until they get to about 160 or so, then put on the grate. I'm of the school that thinks that the self-basting feature that comes from hanging meat in the PBC adds flavor. If you're nervous, double hook the PBs or tie some string around them for additional insurance against dropping off the hook. I have never (to date anyway) had meat drop into the fire, but then I'm a double-hook/ string wrap type of smoker. That said, there's nothing wrong with going with the grate all the way.

3. About the fat, I trim as much as necessary (leaving a very thin layer) off the surface so that the smoke can penetrate the meat instead of the the fat.

4. Smoke those PBs at an average PBC temp of 260 or so, and you're going to have some great eating in store for you!

Have lots of fun with your PBC cook this weekend, Jim. Hope the rain stops.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Kathryn,
                      Thanks, I always appreciate your posts. How about my questions in the post to which you responded. 1.) Will doing two buts at the same time increase cooking time? How much? 2) Fat side up or down. Best, Jim

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Editing a comment
                        I've cooked 1-3 butts in my barrel without any increase in time, just an increase in charcoal consumption due to the extra heat needed with more than one cold chunk of meat, and all those extra juices dripping on the coals.

If you leave the fat cap definitely fat cap down. I hang all my butts the whole cook. 4 strands of butcher's twine holding things together.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jim Burgin , I do almost the same as Jerod. Fat cap (if there is one) down when I move it to the grate at 160 deg F internal or so. No increase in cooking time for more butts (cooking time depends more on thickness of the pieces than the number, in my experience).

Kathryn
                        Last edited by fzxdoc; November 8, 2015, 03:27 PM.

thanks much tg Jerod and fzxdoc. Jim Burgin

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Editing a comment
                        No prob.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A pleasure.
                        K.

One more data point for Kathryn's magnificent PBC cook temp log: 5 racks SLC ribs, average size. Room temperature at start. Barrel temps at mid rib level 270-290 degrees throughout cook. Cook time 2.5 hrs, 10 minutes to sauce, 30 to bark. Total 3 hrs in barrel.

Here's the teaser. Sauced during and after cook with Sugar Rum Cherry rib sauce. Yum. I'll post recipe as soon as I tweak it a little more.

Tim

Comment

20.5 pound turkey, stable pit temp of 325, pretty stable 20 mph winds and 34 degrees. Took a few minutes over 4 hours to hit 163 in the breast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here