Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Cook Times: Including PBC temps and Meat/Veggie Weights (if possible)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, tongatim and _John_ , I'll add those stats to my list in the first post of this sticky.

Kathryn

Comment

I will be cooking 2 turkeys in the 12 lb range on the PBC. I am using the new hangers. I read it took one person about 5 hours to get his to 155. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much time I should budget for the 2 turkeys? I hate for them to get done at 10am for a 1 pm meal.

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        2 12lb turkey should take just a little bit longer than 1. Cooking time is more about temp, if you cook at whatever your PBC defaults to then it could easily take 5 or more. I run mine at 325 for turkey and would guess 3-3.5 hours for 2. This is also for a spatchcoked turkey, probably an extra half hour if you keep it whole.

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I will have them on the hangers but I am going to amp up the temp to 325.

Turkey Data: 14.5 lb whole brined bird at fridge temp (37F). Hung whole on new PBC turkey hanger (boy is that thing slick). Barrel temp initially 360F, gradually sloped downward to 270 by end of cook. Pulled at only 2.25 hrs when breast hit 160F. Foiled and rested 30 minutes. Perfectly done white and dark meat. Super juicy.

Comment

Where/how do you measure the temp in the PBC? With a probe at the re-bar, or maybe hanging the probe a little lower towards the center of the barrel? A decent bi-metal temp gauge mounted in the lid might work?
      Thanks,
      Al

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        some hang it over the rebar, i drilled a small hold about halfway down and put it in there. I drilled right between the 2 rebar so it is never too close to the meat.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I mostly hang it over the rebar not too close to any meat. With turkey I put it directly above the turkey to make sure that barrel puts out some heat on that bird. I had a Tel-Tru in the lid, took it out. Prefer the remote stuff.

I wrap the probe wire (fed in through the rebar hole) one time around the rebar and let the probe hang at the mid-level of the meat in the center of the barrel and at least a couple of inches away from the meat.

Sometimes for longer cooks and because I can, I put in two temp probes hanging at the mid-level of the meat, one on the side of the vent and the other on the opposite side--positioned away from the barrel sides, though. Temperatures differ by about 20-40 degrees at the beginning of a cook (higher temp at the vent). For that reason, I place the thicker piece(s) closer to the vent when loading up the barrel.

After a few hours, the temperature pattern reverses and the higher heat is away from the vent.

Near the end of a long cook, both thermometers read the same.

What all this means is that the coals near the vent, on my PBC at least, burn first and fastest; when they begin to be spent or all become glowing equally, the coals on the opposite side begin to repeat the same process.

Just an extra bit of trivia for you, Al S.

Kathryn

Comment

One more data point for Baby Backs:

- 2 racks previously frozen, approx. 2.5 lbs. each, both cut in half for freezer packaging purposes
        - Dry brined 2 hours with kosher salt then rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust
        - PBC lit using simple Noah chimney method ... except that I counted exactly 40 briquettes for the chimney
        - Exactly 20 minutes in the chimney followed by exactly 20 minutes in the PBC before hanging ribs
        - ThermoWorks Chef Alarm air temp probe hung about 2" below an extra PBC hook mid-rebar on the vent side
        - Cooked for 3 hours without peeking
        - At 3 hours, rib temps were 190+ everywhere according to ThermoPen
        - Sauced with Bullseye Original and rehung in the PBC for 20 minutes
        - Pulled and held in 225F oven for approximately 1 hr (wife wanted to finish a particularly interesting Dr. Phil episode)
        - Served to much applause and licking of fingers

One big objective for this cook was to understand the PBC temperature profile ... with no fiddling from yours truly ... very difficult to do

0 min. Temp spiked to 466F but was down to 410 within a couple of minutes ... and dropping rapidly
        15 min. 355F
        30 min. 334F
        45 min. 312F
        1 hr. 297F
        1 hr. 15 min. 293F
        1 hr. 30 min. 291F
        1 hr. 45 min. 291F
        2 hr. 291F
        2 hr. 15 min. 290F
        2 hr. 30 min. 285F
        2 hr. 45 min. 283F
        3 hr. 287F (1st peek followed by sauce and 20 min. glaze)

Cooking conditions: elevation 6300 ft.; temp 46F; wind light and variable
        Last edited by MBMorgan; January 14, 2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks, MBMorgan , for the detailed information. Your rib cook almost exactly mirrors the ones I do and have done, with the PBC finding its own sweet spot around 290 degF and getting those ribs done in 3 hours 20 min.

I'll add your info to the first post.

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            You might want to leave out the Dr. Phil reference, though 😀

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do, MBMorgan!

John, Jerod & fzxdoc, thanks for the response. I got my PBC for Christmas & am dieing to find time for my first cook. In the mean time I'll just have to hang out here and learn all I can from you guys.
          Thanks,
          Al

Comment

Al S. , just toss a couple of chickens on that brand spankin' new PBC and make your family happy! The first cook I did on my PBC was chicken, following Noah's instructions on his PBC website chicken video exactly. It took over 2 hours to get the bird to 165 in the breast (took off at 160 and let carryover cooking finish taking the temp up) but tasted amazing! The skin was rubbery but we didn't care. The flavor was off the hook.

Then I began perfecting the technique for my PBC, following some of the great recommendations here, and now smoke them in 1 hour or so at higher PBC temps (325-360), dry brining (24 hours in advance) the breast, leg and thigh areas under the skin with AP rub, adding a bit of baking powder to the rub for the skin, etc. The flavor is still off the hook, the meat even more juicy (if possible) and the skin is crispy.

My point is that you can do chicken simple like Noah or with more attention to detail with some of the great techniques that people here use, and either way you'll have a delicious meal and a grateful family.

Smoke on, brother!

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; January 15, 2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Good idea, fzxdoc! Better than experimenting with a $100 rib roast...
              Al

Comment

I want to do that bacon wrapped meat loaf I saw. I cannot find it. I think it was fzxdoc who posted it. Can someone point me to the recipe. Please.

Comment

Perfect. The loafs are in the freezer now. I will post pictures.

Thanks for helping me attain hero status yesterday.
                FYI Facebook blew up with photo posting!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jecucolo; January 24, 2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

One of the things that have been bothering me is how to quantify the charcoal lighter fluid I spray on the PBC to start a good fire. I was at Wally world getting oil changed and checked out the house ware department. I found a 2 ounce bottle that is used for lunch salad dressing. Not what I was looking for but for $3 dollars it was a start.
                  Anyway, I have used it twice, squirting 4 ounces on the charcoal.
                  The temps have been right at 260. I going to keep experimenting. Why is this so fun?

Comment

• ptehan
                    ptehan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for this. I'm totally inexperienced with lighter fluid but I'm not adamant against its use. I avoid trying it because I have no idea how much I should use.

Pat

OMGoodness, jecucolo , those bacon-covered meatloaves are off the hook! Not literally of course, since you grated them on the PBC. Good to hear that the cook went so well. Enjoy your hero status. You deserve it!

Kathryn

And P.S. FWIW I never use lighter fluid in my PBC, although many folks do. For me, the coals light fine without it. I use Kingsford Blue, Kingsford Competition or Ozark Oak lump.
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 25, 2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Wow Kathryn, This is great. Thanks for all the data.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're very welcome.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here