Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Cook Times: Including PBC temps and Meat/Veggie Weights (if possible)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol....apologies. the butt worked out, good smoke ring and taste. after calming down, got it rehooked, but the fire got too hot and burned way too fast. pulled it at 145 and wrapped with ginger ale. put a half chimney of B&B lump on to get the fire going again, and got the temp to 206. into a cooler for a couple of hours, finally pulled it apart. pretty good, but need to work on a different rub for more flavor. not a complete disaster, but what a day. I still have a couple of boneless butts that i'll work on next weekend (wings this weekend). thanks for keeping me focused.

Comment

fzxdoc question. Thinking of doing a Pork Tenderloin in the PBJ. Any suggestions? Hang it, on the grate, temp and cook time. TIA.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I do mine on the grate, at 325ish for about 35 minutes or so until the internal temp is 135 or so, with carryover taking it to 140°. Works well.

Kathryn

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

I've been using my PBC for about a year now and am happy with the usual relatively long hanging stuff. And for shorter times I have successfully plugged up all the holes to put the charcoal out for later use.

However, I seem to recall a post by some member who had worked up a table or list of lesser amounts of charcoal for shorter cooks. Does anyone know where that post might be or where I could find that information? I've been searching and paging through these topics and haven't found it. I know I could experiment, but I would rather cut to the chase and take advantage of a fellow member who may have done this already.

Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

Here's what I have in my PBC file, from a post somewhere on the Pit:
        Charcoal Amount

More than 6 hours--120 in basket, 40 in chimney
        Between 4 & 6--80 in basket, 40 in chimney
        Between 1 & 4--40 in basket , 40 in chimney
        Less than 1 hour--10 in basket, 40 in chimney

OR:
        A half basket, with a half full lit chimney (Weber small) will get you to about 4+hrs of cooktime and keeps temps around 275-290.
        A half basket, with a full lit chimney usually runs hot for about 3+hrs.

HTH MarkN ,

Kathryn

Comment

• MarkN
          MarkN commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Kathryn. And now I wrote it down (like I should have in the first place and since my hunt for it turned up nothing).

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          As a reminder, a Kingsford briquette is 25 grams, or 18/pound, so your guidelines above are *roughly* 1 pound/hr + 1 pound. I scratched a mark on the side of my chimney at 2 lbs so I can use it as a measuring cup so I don't have to count briquettes.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea, RobertC .

Kathryn

Just have to show some gratitude for this incredible resource, which I use pretty much once per week. Getting to the point of memorizing some of the listed times. Used it today for a 6lb brisket flat, about 4.5 hours to the stall, and another 4 to 200 degrees. PBC junior sat between 230-250 the entire time. Thanks!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the posting side of The Pit.

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          I spatchcocked n hung a 20lb turkey, first time ever on the PBC. Followed fzxdoc guidance n my mind was blown! I was cooking this for the inlaws. (No pressure there) It was phenomenal! Tender, juicy n cooked to perfection. Needless to say, I am a disciple.
          Last edited by Alan Brice; April 22, 2023, 12:31 AM. Reason: idiocy

I'm glad you like this resource, bstrong2305 , and that it's helpful when planning your cooks. The original post is so chock-full that the software won't allow me to add any more cook information. There's plenty there to work with, I guess, but I'd like to be able to add more.

raywjohnson suggested a while back that I continue on in another post within this topic but I think it might just get buried. Plus I'm not sure I'd be able to add a link to the OP, since I don't seem to be able to add to it without being blocked with weird error messages. Now I'm afraid to mess with it because it might just vanish. Oh well. It works fine as is.

Kathryn

Comment

Such a great resource!!!

Comment

THX for this. Wife bought a beautiful prime pork loin roast at a "manager's special" price. She wanted it done in the kettle (WSCG) instead of the oven. I needed likely cook time and recommended kettle temp (which the WSCG reaches and holds very well) to go with the internal temp which I already know from cooking other pork roasts to keep them moist. NOW, I can plan a start time.

Also, great list which has other things I don't do that often so it will save me pre-cook research in the future.

EDIT -- I spent about 15 minutes on the generic internet searching for info on cooking pork loin roast on the grill and found nothing. THEN said to self, "DUH! Amazing ribs, you dummy." Took 38 seconds to get your post. .
            Last edited by Harry; July 2, 2023, 09:50 AM. Reason: Another thought

Comment

Wow, thank you, Harry . I hope your wife enjoyed the pork loin, enabling you to be the BBQ Hero of the Evening.

K.

Comment

I am new to the Pit Barrel.
                I have 2 years of pellet smoking under my belt, but was looking for something different.
                I have grilled with charcoal for close to 30 years, so when I saw a used PBC for sale July 3rd I drove out and bought it.
                That night we had ribeye steaks grilled on it.
                July 4th I did a bone in pork loin, and by trial and error, it came out delicious.
                July 5th I did poor man burnt ends. Coals ran out at mid carmalizing of the ends. Tried a 2/3 basket and not enough starter coals.
                July 6th did 4 chickens, 2 halves and 2 wholes(doing halves from now on). Skin wasn't crispy, but not rubbery either. I usually remove the skin when eating it, but not this time and real juicy.
                July 7th ordered the PBX from Pit Barrel.
                July 8th it arrived, but was slightly dented on the side.
                Called customer service and left a message, then sent pics of damage. Mainly asking if it was still able to cook.
                They called 20 minutes after opening Monday.
                They apologized for the damage, then said good news and more good news.
                I can cook on the dented one and because I purchased the insurance they are sending me another PBX, and I can keep the dented one.
                Now I own 3 Pit Barrels....
                What great customer service. They were polite and helpful. I would recommend them.
                Sorry so long winded.

Comment

Now using this sites cooking times and Kathyrn's lighting method I will be smoking a 10lb brisket, a 9.5lb bone in pork butt and 2 tri tips, one done as a brisket, on the PBX.
                  The PBC is only doing 2 beef ribs.
                  I will try to keep records on the cooks, and report back.

Comment

That sure was great PBC customer service, Duanessmokedmeats . That's always been my experience with them as well. Sounds like your PBC cooking is taking off nicely, and that you're getting some good cooks under your belt.

The PBC will be good for doing chicken and sausages together, which is my fave cook of all on it. I pierce the lowest sausage a couple of times to sacrifice its fats and juices to the bbq gods as the drippings send up delicious smoke when they hit the fire. My usual chicken cook is 2 chickens, split, and 12 large Fresh Market sausages, usually andouille and hot Italian, divided between two modified sausage hangers (Note that the PBC sausage hangers hold only 5 sausages).

Another fav cook on the PBC is meatloaf. Smokey and so delicious.​ Actually everything I cook on the PBC turns out delicious with just the right amount of smoke flavor to please family and guests. I'm sure that will be your experience as well, since you've enjoyed what you've cooked so far.

A couple of years back I added a Pit Viper fan with a Fireboard controller to my PBC which I use for big cooks, especially when entertaining and I can't keep as close an eye on it.

Keep us posted on how you like your PBX. Several members here have one.

Kathryn

Comment

• DennyWoo
                      DennyWoo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to hear that on your health. I hope you continue to get better.

i've never done sausages on the PBC. What is this modified hanger you use, and how long do you cook the sausages?

• Finster
                      Finster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great to hear that you are doing so much better Kathryn.
                      Best wishes for continued progress.
                      fzxdoc

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DennyWoo , I answered your question in the next post.

K.

Originally posted by DennyWoo View Post
                    i've never done sausages on the PBC. What is this modified hanger you use, and how long do you cook the sausages?
                    Denny, DennyWoo , I purchased a sausage hanger and cut down the handle so it would fit in the PBC, hanging from the rebars. Usually I hook through the sausage hanger with a PBC hook because it's easier than sliding it on/off the rebar.

You can also buy a sausage hanger from the Pit Barrel Cooker folks, but it only holds 5 sausages instead of six. I modified a generic hanger over 10 years ago, before PBC offered their own sausage hanger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sausage Basket 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	1453323
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sausage Basket 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	1453326

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sausage Basket modified 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	1453324

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sausage Basket modified 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.8 KB ID:	1453325

Here's a shot of the sausage hanger in action, hanging out with three soon-to-be delicious chickens in my PBC

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=628457&d=1548610175&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	1453327

Kathryn

Edited to add: in a 350°smoker set up for cooking poultry, the sausages take about 30-40 min to reach 180°, which is the temp I prefer. Some people cook them to 165° with great success too.

I started a new topic in the PBC channel to describe this sausage hanger, since the original one that I wrote for it back in 2014 has a broken link. The content and photos are similar to those shown in this post. Here's the link to the updated Sausage Hanger for the PBC topic.
                    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 15, 2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• DennyWoo
                      DennyWoo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!

• Duanessmokedmeats
                      Duanessmokedmeats commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks good.
                      Thanks for the tip.

Sorry for delay, on my results, Here it goes: I did the 15-10-10 method. 2 probes front(f) and back(b)
                    PBX- Full basket, full Pit Barrel chimney. 3 small chunks pecan.
                    1050am start time: f-272, b-307
                    11am f-266, b-286
                    12pm f-276, b-295
                    1pm f-278, b-275
                    2pm f-325,b-291; Had lid off changing to grate
                    3pm f-320, b-291
                    4pm f-308, b-239; possible back misread, found probe in my burnt end pan...
                    5pm f-266, b-270
                    6pm f-290, b-297; both rods removed.
                    7pm f-256, b-254; both rods removed
                    730pm f-224, b-221; ended
                    I had in the PBX a 6.5lbs brisket, 2- 3lbs tri-tips(when I checked they were at 150, so brisket them)- took one off at 315pm at 195IT, and a 9.3lbs bone-in pork butt.

The PBC-same as PBX lighting. 1 large chunk of hickory.
                    1125am start time: f-380, b-277
                    12pm f-334, b-316
                    1pm f-283, b-279
                    2pm f-259, b-284
                    3pm f-260, b-288
                    4pm f-267, b-297
                    5pm f-264, b-278
                    6pm f-318, b-320
                    7pm f-264, b-271
                    745 f-184, b-251; ended
                    I had in it 2 chuck short ribs about 3.75lbs each. First one hit 205IT at 345pm, later the other one unknown time.
                    I kept using it for tri-tip burnt ends.
                    Sorry for not getting exact temps and times on my meat, just learning.

If these readings are any help, please feel free to add them.
                    Last edited by Duanessmokedmeats; July 17, 2023, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Harry
                      Harry commented
                      Editing a comment
                      THX. Details like these are really helpful to those of us who don't cook EVERYTHING on the grill or in the smoker.

My first cook was on July 4th.
                    PBC- 3/4 basket with 3 pcs lump charcoal, half a PB chimney, and 3 chunks cherry.
                    I poured in starter coals at ashen, and started cooking immediately (didn't know about this site at time) on the grate a 4.5 Bone-in pork loin.
                    I plugged 2 rod holes with aluminum foil, kitty corner to each other. Only probe on grate.
                    Started at 2pm: 298, after 1 hour maintained +/- 5 degrees. IT temp: 32
                    4pm put glaze on, IT 120, pulled out plugs and temp went up to 325 and stabilized.
                    5pm; IT 145.
                    630pm: 301
                    7pm: 268
                    730pm: 245
                    8pm: 214
                    830pm: 176; end

Sorry about lack of data, just learning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here