Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the micro breweries around the country, one only needs to walk 100 yards to find a local brew. That said back in the day when Milwaukee and St. Louis were king, I still coveted the old country German beers. Another favorite and damn good one on my list....this is one kick ass brew.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Another one that’s now owned by InBev these days. :-/
      While harder to find, at least it doesn’t seem that they’ve screwed up the recipes like Miller did to Lowenbrau when they held the rights.

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      A good German doppelbock can be transcendent.

Lately I've been in love with this one from Stroh's, their Bohemian Style. It is very flavorful- hoppy but not quite like an IPA, and malty but not quite like a Sam Adam's. Yum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stroh's.png
Views:	284
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	969948

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      Stroh's was my go to many years ago!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that is a blast from the past, used to be a popular brew in the Midwest.

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      HA Detroit river beer.... That was my top shelf in the 80's!

Well no mention of rot gut beers so far. Here's one that dominated my youth....

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF SKY BLUE WATERS...HAMM'S THE BEER REFRESHING.....HAAAAM'S

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      My college roommates and I lived at what people called the "Hamm’s House." Just had them together at my wedding in October and we killed a case of Hamm’s. It will always hold a special spot for me

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Does anyone remember the generic brand called.....BEER. It was in a white can with the only word BEER in block letters across it....
      But when you were a college kid without money you drank what you could afford...HA

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my favorite of the cheap beers, always got some Hamm's in the beer fridge. It really is good stuff, wife & I did a blind test of several of the "trailer park" beers and we both picked Hamm's as the most flavorful.

As a strong runner up, I wanna nominate another favorite. Micro-brewed in the Houston Heights, really cool brewery/restaurant/beer garden here in town..

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of it as a beer, but isn't that a Nugent song? Beautiful scene there. I wouldn't mind sipping on a couple there.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuppers.... Nugent Song, from Double Live Gonzo...

Seen him twicet, includin when he got shot with a ball bearing, from a crowd member

Head East opened fer him, one time I seen...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 15, 2021, 09:57 PM.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a cool place. Gotta put that one in the back pocket.

And Mr. Bones Head East?! Whaaat?! LOL I only have their self titled album...from back in eh...yeah...a while back. LOL I think only two other people in SoCal have heard of them.

Love how the album cover is embossed. That’s probably part of the resurgence of "vinyl." Albums were often works of art...much better than CDs...and certainly better than a simple download. Great covers/cover art, liner notes, yada yada yada...

I like Budweiser for a table beer. Most people won't object to it. I am not a hop head, and I think most crafts go overboard on that. I like malty beers like Pilsner Urquell. When I want a really good beer I go for something like a Belgian red, Rodenbach.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Budweiser is my daily beer. Love it. So easy drinking and tastes good too. Also love Pilsner Urquell. I worked for a Czech company for about five years and went over there once a quarter. Toured the PU brewery twice. Drank gallons and gallons of the beer. Yum.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done lots of taste tests of beers of a similar feather and when doing the AALs Bud always has a gentle, soft fruity taste to me. I won't refuse one.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I sometimes wish I could drink Bud. I think I’m allergic to beechwood. Because that’s about the only thing different in their beer from others...and everything else in there is not a problem.

One of those though...if I make it that far...and I’m seriously violently ill for at least two days. It’s horrible. Damn near hallucinating delirium just prior to thinking I’m going to die. Not something I would wish on anyone.
      Ok, not on most people. LOL
      Last edited by surfdog; January 30, 2021, 04:48 PM. Reason: Shpelling ;-)

Y’all are stirring up some great beer memories. This was our go-to in culinary school. It had a special shaped glass that you put on top of the open bottle. Invert it and slowly pull the bottle up. Perfect pours do not spill a drop and there is about a two finger head on it. Served with lemon.

Name:	5EDABD96-9BD7-4467-8318-8073FE5F9CA5.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	970329

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I drank a lot of HefeWeizen when I lived in Germany ..... have the glasses in the cupboard and all.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      Hacker-Pschorr was the first weiss that I had, I told my room-mate "I aint drinkin no beer with a stinken lemon in it!" After two I was hooked...
      Last edited by bardsleyque; January 9, 2021, 02:27 AM.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember doing that!

I love the fall and winter months because I can get some left hand milk stout.

i wish we could get some "Black Rhino" up here. It’s a Belgian dark ale brewed by Adelbert’s out of Austin Tx. Reminds me of a cross between a heavy stout snd a sweeter port.

Comment

My daily drinker is Bell's Two Hearted

My favorite seasonal beer is Great Lakes Christmas Ale, i look forward to its release every year.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Your everyday beer rings my Bell's!

Just reappeared in VA and now I see it in Costco!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to beat a Two Hearted. Two Hearted is great for those that love IPAs and also for those that don't
        care for IPAs, it's different enough, it's special. I drive by the Two Hearted River up in the "U.P." of Michigan a time or two each year, after which it was named.

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        One of my favorites. Yes! M!CH!GAN forever...

And who can ever forget that top shelf, ultra-Premium brew known by it's simple namesake......

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        well, you could just get some Lonestar or Black Label, if you're gonna go there.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey watch it on the Lone Star, the national beer of Texas. Now Pearl, on the other hand, I might have to agree with

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Never heard of this but I would definitely pick up a 6 simply for the name! ecowper Black Label, that used to be all my uncle would drink, he used to have a store order it in for him special because it wouldn't sell enough for them to stock regularly.

"Favorite Beer??"

That's like asking "Who is your favorite child?" You love them all, but differently!

I rarely drink beer any more, (bourbon is my libation), but it depends on my mood. Sometimes, I want an enamel-stripping IPA, and other times, a nice stout, or smoky porter, or a crisp pilsner.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point, kinda like asking favorite food. Depends on mood for sure.

I don’t drink beer much these days, an occasional beer during the summer and Oktoberfest. But, my favorite would be one of these two Belgian beers. Oh, how they are so good....and oh so potent!

Name:	C5EEED3F-B5E5-4B9D-A7C2-7DB063E0859C.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	973289

Name:	5C32F5FA-5562-4E4B-AD14-B7FBCAFDC82A.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	973288

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Good ones, to be sure...

An th ^^^Dark Chocolate^^^ ain't gonna hurt my feelins, none, neither...

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones chocolate coconut balls from costco.....they pair nicely with bourbon as well.....

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly Unfortunately, nearest Costco is in KC, so no net savings, when 1984 SuBourbon is my Main Ride.

Makin myself a note to try some chocolate, all kinda upside with some bourbon, perhaps work up to coconut lol

(Loves me some Doppelbock~ Bier, und Dunkel Schokolade!)
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 4, 2021, 08:49 PM. Reason: dunkel vs dunkle oops...stoopid memory...:o

Porter, stout, imperial stout, brown ale, milk stout, eh...yeah, I’m seeing a theme here.
      Very rarely do I drink yellow beer, and I’m even less inclined to purchase it myself. The big exception would be Boddington’s or another cream ale...but then I don’t really put those into the "yellow" category.

Comment

A bit late to the dance here. Tough to say. So I'll say whatever is in the glass now. I lean to IPA"S. Right now I poured a Harpoon IPA a New England favorite. Sitting next to those in the fridge you'll find Sierra Nevada Celebration, seasonal IPA. I'm a fan of Dogfish Head beers. Went to the brewery back in summer of 16' Did the tasting and tour. As part of the tasting you get 4 choices. I selected one which I guess I can say is my favorite and is a special order from my supplier, Burton Baton. And at $80 a case i do not order often. Also at 10% abv walk gently. Another I had, Chocolate Lobster. Yes, it is a porter brewed with lobster. It's a draft only and good luck finding a pub who has it. They had a warning that if allergic to shell fish do not taste this. Was there with my brother and he is allergic and he didn't sample.

Chocolate Lobster (formally known as Choc Lobster) is a brew first brewed in 2012 that evolved from our Super Small Batch program that we began at the pub to make weird one-off batches for our beer

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/burton-baton

Comment

On a hot summer day I prefer a lawnmower beer like Miller Lite. Sitting around at night watching a movie with the wife I like Newcastle Brown Ale.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lawnmower beer, I like it. That's more politically correct than what I grew up calling them: trailer park beers (no offense to anyone who lives in a mobile home).

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Newcastle Brown Ale is some really good stuff, an ranked in th top 5 of my subs fer Guinness Extry Stout...

Mowin th lawn, (if'n I still had to), it would be my ol friend, PBR...

My favorites are Molson Export, Labatt 50 or Carling O'keefe but I can't get any of them down here. My favorite is now Pacifico. I only drink Craft and/or imported beer on draft with a preference for Irish reds and Amber ales.
          The only beer I have in the fridge is Coors Light because the litlle woman likes it but I have lots of cheap whiskey so I'm happy.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny you mention Labatt 50, Labatt's has just relisted it in cans again.
            I can't remember the last time I saw 50 in any beer store.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here