Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back Strap venison? What to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Strap venison? What to do.

I’m here in White Bear Lake, MN. Visiting a step-son. He takes off to work & says "hey there’s this & that & back strap venison. I’ll cook it when I get back or you all can have it ready when I get back". Hint, hint, I gat it. Just I am not familiar with the beast. It’s a few pieces about an 1” thick. Thinking about a front sear & bring them to temp. Good move or not. Open for suggestions.

Back strap venison is a real treat. I've cooked plenty. Due to thickness a classic front sear then rest is the way to go. But then again, no pics? Aim for 130° F. Not much higher. Add nothing but salt. A classic dry brine a few hours before is always good. Black pepper is great, but add it afterwards.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Muchos gracias! (That’s a little Spanish lingo there.) Muchos

Treat it like a thin steak ... dry brine .... front sear .... make a board sauce

Board sauce .... before you put the meat on the grill

Roughly chop sage, thyme, coarse ground black pepper, mince a couple cloves of garlic, dice a red jalapeño, put in a coffee cup or small bowl and add 5-6 tbsp EVOO .... let it sit while you cook the meat.

Right before the meat comes in, pour the sauce out on a cutting board
    Put the meat on the sauce, turn and coat both sides with herbs/oil
    Now slice the meat immediately, letting the juices run into the sauce
    Roll the meat in the board sauce and serve

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea of board sauce. Many thanks. I’ve already started dry brine. This is cool. It tells me I’m learnin from yuse guys. L I B.

Step 1: you should unstrap it from the back....

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s something I’d say! 😎

thin sliced, olive oil, garlic, and salt cook in a cast iron skillet.

Comment

Pan with butter, Morton’s season salt and pepper is how I roll

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've gotten in the habit of mixing the oil I'm using 50/50 with Irish butter. Greatness.

Agree with all the above. Medium rare max. Plenty o' salt, pepper & sear. Love the idea of the board sauce, that stuff 5-stars up a 3-star meal every time.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        If you overcook it, which is really easy to do with back strap, that board sauce will save you

Send it to me!

Comment

Once again, no one is wrong! Too bad you're not further south - you could mix that in Armadillo Chili.

Comment

We always dredged them in APF, S&P, then pan fry in CI to MR. Mashed taters and deer meat gwavy with canned corn. Sweet memories right there.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            My grandfather owned property in Hyampom valley ..... mostly hunted 40 mile ridge and fished between Hayfork and Hyampom

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I never hunted there, but a lot of backpacking and flyfishing. Coffee Creek, Stuart Fork, a bunch of those little stocked lakes. Longest I did was 10 days, which is when I no longer prefer the pleasure of my own company.

• Heybrau
            Heybrau commented
            Editing a comment
            That's Deer Camp cookin' Captain. Love it!

The South Texas way would be to pound out those 1-inch thick slices to about a quarter of an inch, dredge in seasoned flour and deep fry. Serve with white gravy made from some of the cooking oil. Chicken fried backstrap, Mmmmm..MMH!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooooooohhhhh!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Been in Texas 40+ years and never heard it done that way, but chicken fried anything is the bomb !!!

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman It may be more of a hill country/San Antonio thing, which is where I was living when I learned it.

Hot hot hot grill. It's plenty tender already. Board sauce is a great idea.

Comment

BTW next time you are in the neighborhood we should set up a meat up with some of the Minnesota crew.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here