Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled fallow deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled fallow deer

Hi all,

just found a great online resource (in Sweden) for ordering a box of game meat. It is delivered to your door, and contains an assortment of cuts, from roe deer, fallow deer, red deer, wild boar. Not all of them at the same time, but still a good mix.

The box, delivered to my door

Click image for larger version

Name:	box.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	384863

I cooked some today. Real nice simple cook, just put them on my BGE on indirect heat, then seared them. I bought a cast iron pan off a flea market that I tried for the first time. I bought it specifically to use on the grill. Works wonders of course. It is pitch black outside, so no outdoor pics this time.

Anywho, I cooked what I believe is called boneless beef outside from a fallow deer. It is the outside thigh, anyway. So incredibly tender and full of flavor. I've cooked plenty of game meat before, so this was easy. I'm astounded by the rich flavors every time though. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

The raw meat (I cut it in two, as there was a natural separation of the muscles)

Name:	raw.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	384866

It took less than an hour to cook. Indirect heat at around 230° F. When the meat hit 122° F (50° C) I seared them. I took them at 131° F (55° C). They rested for 10 minutes before slicing. I served the meat with a red wine reduction, sweet potato mash and some veggies (mushrooms and diced zucchini).

The meat, done, rested and sliced

Name:	grilled.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	384865

Here's the food, plated

Name:	plate.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	384864

Man, that red wine sauce is killer! I try to come up with something different every now and then, but there's no point really, as this sauce is so hard to beat. If it ain't broken, don't fix it

Looks great Henrik!

Comment

Spinaker - thanks for inspiring me to get not only a great headlight (love it, especially its ability to soften the light accordingly), but also a cast iron pan for my grill. Both cheap (relatively speaking) tools, but great to have.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very welcome my friend! Would you be able to post a picture of the pan, when you get a chance? I would love to see what you have over there! Great write up.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I will, on Friday. Am out visiting customer sites this week.

Looking good

Comment

That looks super.

Comment

Oh, just YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Americans: https://www.thespruce.com/best-place...-meats-1666078

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Very cool. Thanks!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for posting a link for Americans!

Oh man Henrik that is why I’m gonna use my money from the Bank of Meathead to come eat BBQ with you ..... see what I mean BBQCentralShow?

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Apparently, when you do a pitcast with BBQCentralShow, you get to withdraw some money from the Bank of Meathead to go where ever you want for BBQ. That's what I heard.

• BBQCentralShow
            BBQCentralShow commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper, don't forget about being able to buy any cooker you want as well...COOL PERK!! LOL!!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I'm going to Sweden for some BBQ with Henrik and I'm getting an Engelbrecht Braten 1000. So, when do I get to do my next pitcast? I've got a couple other things I want in the backyard LOL

I had a big Fallow buck run in front of my car years ago near the location I hunt on public land. That dude is fair game and would yield LOTS of meat. Never saw him in the woods.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't eat one that 'met' with my car, but except for that they yield a lot more than roe deer, and the flavor is awesome.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik, if it hits the front of the vehicle it is automatically "grilled" venison

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha ha! Good one, Jerod!

Henrik That is a beautiful plate there! I had to look up fallow deer, btw.

Comment

Thanks! I did a google translate, as we have three types of deer (listed in order of size, from smallest to largest):
            Roe deer
            Fallow deer
            Red deer

The first two are kind of similar, but the red deer has a flavor of its own.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, DW!

That looks like it was done very well (NOT well done ) ! Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here