Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But...WHY for a home cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has been said several times already, it's a convienence thing for a lot of items, and it makes great chicken and pork chops. This weekend I did a brisket point 36 hours sous vide at 145. This was going to be a dinner for friends who just had twins. So I wanted something nicer for them than casseroles, but didn't have time to tend a fire this weekend with the wife out of town and me with the kiddos. After the sous vide was done, it was much easier to smoke it in the KBQ for 4 hours at a low temp (180-200) and know it would be ready when I wanted to deliver it. Unfortunately, it was all for them, so no tasters for me. But reports from my friend were that it was moist, smoky with a great bark, and super flavorful. He did send me a pic...

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice... Sous Vide is a busy man's best buddy!!!👌 That brisket looks fantastic! If you didn't tell them it was SV'ed and finished in your smoker... They would never know.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I would eat that! 😃

Wow, I'm late to this party.

Custards. Custards. Creme Patisserie, creme brulee, flan, and more. So much easier with precision control.

Hollandaise. Consider, just this Sunday, my best friend from high school stayed over with us. Hadn't seen her in maybe five years, which got cut short because of a death in the family, and then three years before that at her wedding, and then a couple years earlier at my wedding. So, with a limited amount of time, i put together a really great eggs benedict by heating up the tub, assembling the hollandaise ingredients in one bag, putting the eggs, in shells, in another, and dropping both bags in the same tub for two hours. I then sat and talked with my best friend for most of two hours while the Nomiku WiFi chugged away, then toasted some muffins, put them in a 200* oven with some butter and nests of ham on top, talked a bit more, dumped my mess of a hollandaise into a pitcher and blended it together. This is a game changer that makes a pain in the ass, easy to break, hard to hold mother sauce nearly set it and forget it. The eggs were just drained in a slotted spoon, dumped in the ham nests, and then spooned some hollandaise over the top. Impressed my guest and the wife, and instead of fussing over a couple burners, I socialized.

That's gold.

Oh, and the short ribs. And lean porks. And much else.

I'll say this of steaks. I like a grilled steak. I like a steakhouse steak. I like a SV-sear steak. I don't need "smoke" flavor on every steak. I like a pan sauce on some steaks. I like a worchester on some steaks. I like a steak sauce on other steaks. What I like about the SV is the ease of use and consistent results. The purity of flavor of naked SV... that's hard to match. If you're a Rosanjin, that's also gold.

But, it's a tool in the arsenal. I'm not getting rid of my grill, my stove, my oven, or really anything I cook with. Purely additive.

Comment

I am kinda torn on this one. I feel like if people want use it because its more convenient, do it up man. Who the hell am I to tell you what you can do in your own kitchen. Now from a purest stand point. I get it, heating the meat in a hot bath for a while then kissing it to the grate to get a grill taste is not traditional. But I don't really think that matters to most people.

For me, I just like to start and finish things on the grill or smoker. To me, if it takes an hour, it takes an hour. When you come over to my house for a steak dinner, you get a steak. but you also get to see how I cook it. If you don't like that, maybe we should go out to eat. But that is what is important to me when cooking. The process. I love the process. Its like crack for me. I actually feel physically better after cooking. I almost like it more than actually eating the meat.

If I had 200 steaks to do, you better believe I would buy a SV but for now, I will stay with the old fashioned way. Although, I would love to make some poached eggs with it, sauces or some other "in-door" dishes.

Comment

I have found that my guests when we have big parties really enjoy being out in the backyard with the smoker going nearby. Something to be said for hanging out in the yard, with a beer, smelling pork butt and apple wood.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree on being outside having adult beverages and visiting with your guests.👍👍👍
          However it's fun to take 3 or 4 Tri-Tips out the SV bags and put on a show of how to sear them at high temps. Flames everywhere.😆 They think you're burning their steaks, until it's done, about 5 minutes later.😎
          Last edited by Breadhead; August 2, 2016, 11:42 AM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead that's a cruel thing to do. I may like you even more than I already did ;-)

One of my biggest reasons to love BBQ is that it becomes very social in the backyard without me having to stand on top of a grill for 45 minutes cooking burgers or what have you.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed my friend... My BBQ's are a social magnet! My friends and family are quite entertained by my calm and graceful BBQ/grilling skills and like to watch me work. I explain to each that I gained the knowledge on AR and it's there for them too. Most say I'd rather have you do the work.😎

Potkettleblack OMG what a story. Holding hollandaise... Commencing nightmare now. I so hungry after reading your post. I'm at swim lessons with the princess and my stomach is growling.

This whole thread shows how diverse and delicious this small portion of the food world really is. Good stuff.

Comment

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          And the diversity is what makes it so tasty! BF got another "modernist" gadget for his birthday. Haven't tried it yet, we'll see how it is.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey: This is the whole process.
          ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          "Diversely Delicious" that about sums up the great food and people of this site. I've been on the bench nursing surgeries and have intentionally stayed out of the Pit and AR as it's just torture. There are some great folk here always willing to help with anything. So long for now.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; August 2, 2016, 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

LOL I was just having a flash back. Way back when there was (and still is) a product called a Seal-A-Meal. My mom had one. Their gimmick was "boil in bag" cooking. I don't know if my mom's died or it just got sent to the island of unused gadgets (her basement is full of them) and it sort of faded away. What I know now is that it was ahead of its time - it needed something more precise than just tossing into boiling water.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Even that isn't bad for sous vide .... The water in the pot will be a steady 212

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          You'd go faster at 212. But vegs will cook okay, pretty quickly. I wouldn't do beef thusly without a specific application in mind, like pot-au-feu.

I too was in the traditionalist camp until I got my new Anova last week. Had some carnivores over for dinner Saturday and served prime grade NY Strips. I sv'd them at 129 degrees for 2 and 1/2 hours while I went over to a friend's house to help him make a batch of home made beer. Came home just in time to finish them with a warp 10 sear on my PBC converted charcoal grill. Perfectly cooked medium rare from edge to edge. Total grill time 12 minutes: 10 minutes to bring coals to jet rocket status with my BBQ Dragon, then seared each side for one minute. Got overwhelming compliments from the crowd. Made a believer out of me. Yes, I guess I do like my toys!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Had your guest not seen it happen with their own eyes they would have never known their steaks were cooked in a bath tub.😆😆😆

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here