Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide pastrami coming soon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    It all laid out on the main site....second sandwich, kiddies are eating it up. I cut with the grain to separate it, showed the two pieces, youngest noticed the "lines" of the muscle fibers on one piece.
    Attached Files

    Comment


      #32
      Looks amazing! Pastrami is the best.

      Comment


        #33
        Wowzers, that looks fantastic. I have to try this!

        Comment


          #34
          JEEZ!!! This should be my next project!!

          Comment


            #35
            Ernest It goes fast. I'm tempted to start another one.

            Comment


              #36
              Jerod Broussard I'm thing it should have been plenty tender after the SV, curious to know why you took it to 203.

              Comment


              • Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Experimentation. And it wasn't really overly tender. I didn't have problems with slices staying together when sliced across the grain and things totally falling apart that is indicative of an overcooked brisket. But they did break on command.

                I'm thinking a thick point might definitely need 201 or so, or 48 instead 40 hours on the sous vide. I know my first one the point wasn't near as tender with an all the way smoke and steam.

              • Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I hate the flat so I'll go get a point. I need to try this.

              #37
              Ok, need some help here. I have a brisket from Snake River Farms and am looking for a sous vide recipe. I will separate the point and the flat, then cut the flat in half (don't wanna mess up a whole Wagyu brisket) as you've recommended. Now I will dust liberally with a rub and hold for 24 hours prior to the sous vide bath or brine it. Brining is the ChefSteps recipe. I will sous vide for 48 hours as recommended by ChefSteps, 155 degrees. Please give this some thought and help walk me through this.

              Comment


              • Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                If going that route I would try the Chefsteps recipe. This is the one I am referring to. We may be talking about the same one.

                Brisket is a pitmaster’s mainstay, but let’s face it: It’s often poorly executed, and ends up being dry, bland, blah. Tired of the ho-hum stuff (and never willing to shy away from a challenge), we set out to make a better brisket, with juicy, smoky meat and a sticky, satisfying bark. Just to up the ante, we decided to develop it without the aid of a smoker, taking a modernist approach using liquid smoke and nitrites to evoke a smoky flavor and signature pink ring at the edge of the meat—both hallmarks of first-rate ’cue—and cooking the beef sous vide. We also developed Bark Builder, which can be applied to the meat just before finishing it in an oven to produce a crust on the exterior that is very close to the dark and delicious crust that forms on the outside of long-smoked meats. Combined with our Texas Black Pepper Barbecue Rub and our Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce, even the most discerning 'cue enthusiast will find it hard to pick nits about the quality of our sous vide brisket. The upshot for you, hungry meat fiends, is the best dang barbecue brisket you’ll ever make, and you can make it in the climate-controlled comfort of your own kitchen. You don’t need a smoker and you don’t need a lot of space—although we also give you the option of finishing this tender-as-heck brisket in a smoker, if you've got one. Grab some carnivorous buddies—you’re gonna want to show this one off. EDITORS’ NOTE: We’ve updated this recipe after further testing and considering reader feedback. We’ve increased the sous vide cook temperature to [f 162], and reduced the time for the oven finishing step to 30 minutes (down from 3 to 4 hours). This produces a better brisket texture that is more in line with great Texas barbecue: jiggly, juicy, and tender. We've streamlined the seasoning process by replacing the wet brine with a dry cure and brushed glaze approach. We've retested the recipe using our Texas black pepper rub and sweet and sticky sauce, and provided the option of using our Bark Builder for improved bark results. Finally, we’ve also added the option of finishing the brisket in the smoker. If you prefer to use the original recipe, we’ve included it as a tip at the end of the recipe before the make-ahead and storage instructions.
                Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 18, 2016, 11:49 PM.

              #38
              We are. However I will chill after cooking, then use the SNS to add smoke, then sear. Thanks, and I'll post pictures.

              Comment


              • Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Good deal. Good luck!!!

            Announcement

            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            0
            Guest
            Guest
            500
            ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
            7