Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide pastrami coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide pastrami coming soon

Only took three trips to the store to do corned beef. Bought the brisket and forgot the distilled water. Bought the distilled water, forgot to check if I had enough kosher salt, which I did not. Back to the store. Put the garlic and the 5 tablespoons of pickling spices since I had plenty.

I'll give this not so thick four pound hunk of choice flat 6 days. Then...

1. Approx. 8 hours of desalinating.
    2. Sous vide at 145 for 36 hours.
    3. Rubbed and chilled for 24 hours.
    4. Cherry wood smoked on the kettle with the slow and sear while I sleep and the Auber takes her home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 12, 2016, 11:55 AM.

You gotta rub that thing for 24 hours??? That's a lotta pastrami love ... (Seriously, that's going to be awesome)!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      It will be in the fridge chilling for the smoker, so I am drilling out arm holes so the rubbing does not cease.

Can't wait to hear about the end result!!

Comment

Tomorrow night I start desalinating.

I want to cook some other steaks while this dude is rolling in the river, so I'm going with 130 for 40 hours.

Comment

Man that cure with those pickling spices smells AWESOME.

Taking off loose particles. In 8 hours and 20 minutes time to prep for an approx. 40 hour sous vide at 130 degrees.

This was a 6.5 day cure.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 18, 2016, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          That's got to be a big ole crawfish pot...

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          The Burn nah, it's really not that deep. Just a big stove top pot.

Jerod Broussard, what IT will you take it to on the smoker? Is the 36 hour SV cook for tenderizing?

Comment

No idea on the final IT, I'm definitely going to get a good bark. I'm going to lay it on frog mats on the grate, that way if it's super tender I can just pick up the frog mats and transport like that.

I'm seeing if I can get a good tenderization with this that way I won't have to steam after I come off the smoker.

A 1 gallon FoodSaver saver bag was just right for this four pound flat.
          Attached Files

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Last one I did came out perfectly and I cooked it like a regular brisket, smoked to 160 then crutched till 203. No need to steam.

Is that the wifi verson Jerod Broussard

Comment

No. I prefer just my own manual settings. I'm pretty sure if you use the Wifi function you have to stick to the recipes they have set with the app. I think this one has bluetooth, but I don't plan on ever trying out.

**Ok Ernest corrected me below, you can you do whatever want with Wifi and Bluetooth.
            Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 19, 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

You don't have to use their recipes on Bluetooth or WIFI version.
              All recipes in the app are optional.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Still ain't bluetoothin'

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I have used the bluetooth function before, it's ok. I can see where the WIFI might come in handy since you can operate it from anywhere.

I had a blue tooth once when I was eating blue berries

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Should have used cherry wood for those Blue berries

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Eat a box of Oreos, then smile for the camera.

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
              Jerod Broussard, what IT will you take it to on the smoker? Is the 36 hour SV cook for tenderizing?
              I took mine to the stall (~160*) on the smoker and steamed the rest of the way to 203* per Meat Head's instructions on the "close to Katz's" page.

Steaming took almost as long as smoking but I can't argue with the end results!

Comment

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                Really? After refrigerating my most recent smoked-to-160 pastrami overnight, the steaming was about 2 hours in a big roaster sitting over 2 gas stovetop burners.

• jholmgren
                jholmgren commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't have a lid for my roaster so I had to make a tent out of a few pieces of foil. I couldn't get a good tight seal so I suspect I had a lot of thermal loss. If there's a next time, I'll pick up a cheap roasting pan with a domed lid.

I've steamed also, after taking it up to 203 on the smoke. I likin' this to a brisket cook. All I want to do after I smoke it is rest it and eat it.

Comment

When I steamed mine after smoking, it made the bark kind of wet and a little mushy

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Mine was OK. Just something about off the pit bark that rocks.

OK guys enlighten me--- why does one need WiFi with a sous vide stick? I can see with a pellet cooker or controller for a charcoal kettle- it gets rainy or windy I can log in at work and make sure my temps are where they need to be and adjust as needed remotely. But isn't the point of sous vide to keep water at a set temp? Why would I need to access it via WiFi?

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No reason I can think of.

• jholmgren
                  jholmgren commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Because Huskee , just because.

Everything is better with WiFi and/or BlueTooth!

Jim

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For the days when you feel really really lazy. Steak is ready and you are away, drop the water temp.

Everything's better with WIFI.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here