Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frito Chili Pie: Essential Comfort Food or Crime Against Nature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESSENTIAL!!!!

Andrew Bordain made a trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico for one of his shows and had frito pie in the bag. He didn’t care for it and made a few comments that got the locals going.

but, in NM, it’s one of those meals that you grow up on. I love it!

Comment

Essential!

Comment

"Walking tacos"are pretty popular at fairs and other events here in Iowa. Basically it's what you're calling Frito chile pie, except the container is a small bag of Doritos or Fritos that's been carefully cut open. The chips are slightly crushed to make room for the chili, cheese, etc. that's added on top of the chips.

It's pretty good or pretty awful depending on how it's made. It tends to be too salty, to mention a common fault, due to starting with salty chips. Backing off on the salt for the chili is good.

There's another casserole I make that's similar to Frito chili pie except it uses tater tots in place of the Fritos/Doritos. This version is often called "Totchos" (tater tot nachos). I make it with shredded smoked pork rather than chili, but chili works too. Spread a layer of frozen tots in a pie plate. Bake at 375F to thaw and crisp the tots -- about 10-15 minutes -- then add layers of shredded cheese, meat (or chili), diced green onion (or regular onion, diced), dollops of sour cream, maybe some green or red salsa, whatever other add-ons you like, and finish with more cheese. Bake to heat through and melt the cheese.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; September 21, 2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like frito chili pie you'll most likely enjoy tatchos, although you might have to tweak the recipe to suit your taste. I don't heap on the tater tots, for example -- just a scant single layer is plenty good for me. But other people might prefer to use more.

• Jakerpancaker
          Jakerpancaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Bad idea to start reading this entire thread this late after a few beers. Totchos is up there with Italian beef as one of my favorite foods from the Midwest since moving here. Now I’m drooling.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          I made some totchos last night with pulled pork and homemade refried beans. Major forgetfulness in that I didn't add chiles, but otherwise pretty tasty.

I just bought two bags of mini Tots last week, IowaGirl , inspired by @Troutman's recipe for Tater Tot Casserole that I happened upon. I had the idea to used pulled beef, since I have several 1lb bags of it in the freezer and to riff of this recipe (link below), which puts the Tots on top and emphasizes the method used to make those tots crispy.

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/one...tot-casserole/

I may do a combo of your recipe, Troutman's and this one, pulling from each what ever sounds good and is on hand at the time, but keeping the Tots on top. So thanks for your post. Pulled pork sounds good too.

Back to the original topic, I never eat chili without Fritos Scoops, which function perfectly as a spoon.

For dessert, I put a single M&M peanut candy into a Frito Scoop and enjoy that salty, chocolaty, peanuty, Frito-y goodness. I eat as many of that combo as my conscience allows. Then one more.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 21, 2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          "...single M&M peanut candy into a Frito Scoop..."

That's naughty, Kathryn. I so didn't need to know about this temptation. I am very fond of chocolate, salty, and sweet too.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Just what I needed another excuse for Frito Scoops and M&M's.
          Last edited by ofelles; September 21, 2020, 11:26 AM.

• Foehn Watts
          Foehn Watts commented
          Editing a comment
          Have heard of Frito Chile pie, but have never had it.
          Husband love chile & beans on bread topped with some cheese then goes the chile, then goes more cheese. I am simple about it: with crackers works for me; cheese? I can take it or leave it.

But, Kathryn, d***, for some reason chile eaten with Fritos Scoops sounds fantastic. I guess I know what I will be making soon as it cools off a bit

Thanks for the suggestion! (it is good that I don't like M&Ms, even peanut ones. . . ) :-)

While everyone else was hording toilet paper, I was buying up Fritos to make Frito Pies... If I was gonna die from Covid, I was gonna die happy. and, Yes, it is a Texas thing as well..

Comment

Jakes, a Tex-Mex restaurant in Bakersfield, Calif, serves a Taco Salad that's similar - bed of Fritos with beans, salsa, pit beef, cheese, sour cream and guacamole piled high on top. Yummy. It's one of the restaurants I miss now that I live in the San Diego area.

Comment

I’m not sure if it’s Texas or OK thing, but I sure am glad someone shared the love. Funny enough, my first experience with it as a kid (I grew up in the 80’s, the greatest generation humankind has ever known) was at the skating rink. I must’ve been real young cause no girl was gonna skate with me after eating that thing. They served it in a similar vessel the OP posted, paper type boat with crushed Fritos, canned chili, nacho cheese and pickled jalapeños. I was hooked after that and anytime we make chili, I’m essentially eating Fritos chili pie. Thanks for posting, was fun reminiscing from the good OL’ days.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
              Foehn Watts commented
              Editing a comment
              There are many variation on the Fritos pie thing and dang if they don't all sound good.

I didn't know this was a thing until I saw it on the Food Network or something. All I knew was that any chili was better with Frito's, cheese, onions and jalapenos thrown in. My mom used to make it, I think she used Fritos because they would fill me up and stop me from eating the whole pot of chili at one meal.

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              Smart mom!

Fritos and chili is like peas and carrots or PB and Jelly or fall and football.

Comment

Its a rare treat especially if made with slow smoked beef brisket for the meat in the chili

Comment

When our grade school cafeteria had Frito Chili Pie scheduled, we didn't take our baloney sandwiches that day. We got Mom to give us each a quarter so we could buy that delicious lunch! Those were the good old days....but we didn't know it.

Comment

Haven’t had Frito Chili Pie in a while but I love it. It is an essential comfort food. Like most others have said, Fritos topped with your favorite chili, then cheese, diced onion, sour cream and jalapeños. I’m pretty sure it’s a Texas thang, but in this case.......... Even, GASP! Chili With Beans Is Acceptable!...... There.... I said it.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; September 22, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can expect to be expelled from the Great State of Texas for saying that!

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m pretty sure The Texas Constitution only expels for corn or carrots. Beans is first offense probationary.
                    Last edited by Panhead John; September 22, 2020, 08:54 AM.

I love eating Frito Pie / Walking Tacos / Tornado Nachos at Friday night high school football games. (I miss them this year).

At the football games they give you all sorts of options.

First you can choose Fritos in a bag, Doritos in a bag or nacho chips in a "boat"

Then they ladle over the "Meat Mixture". I don't know exactly how they season it but they use it for Sloppy Joes, Coney Dogs, and everything else. Its a little sweet, little savory and a bunch delicious.

Then you can chose your cheese. Liquid "Nacho" cheese or shredded cheddar cheese.

Then just top with what ever toppings you want. They have raw onions, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and pickled jalapenos you can get.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Plus you get to eat it outside! Ah, the decadence of comfort food.

This is absolutely a comfort food!

I wish my wife and I could agree on what goes into chili. To me, beans don't belong in chili. To her, they are a must...

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe.....make your chili and do beans on the side? Kinda like brisket or ribs, with sauce on the side. Just a thought.

Cheef IowaGirl ssandy_561
                  I have never heard of a walking taco until a few months back when we started selling them with Pork belly, Scratch Naco Cheese and all the fixings with crunchy lettuce.

Served in a Chinese take out container all for one low price. $20 bucks I think.

They were SUPER good! Alas... too many carbs for me though.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am not sure if you can call it a walking taco if it is not in a bag and it costs over $3.

LOL

• Cheef
                    Cheef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It seems kind of funny to me how things catch on like crazy and then kind of disappear for a while. The Plaza in KC MO went through a phase a few years ago of BBQ Sundaes. Served in a see through ice cream sundae container. Beans on the bottom, potato salad in the middle, and pulled pork on top. It was a favorite with the business people down there and they literally sold thousands of them. A quick easy lunch in a walk around container.

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cheef That sounds amazing! I would buy that BBQ cup. Even better if it was really good.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here