Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frito Chili Pie: Essential Comfort Food or Crime Against Nature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly enough (to me at least), I had never heard of Frito pie or casserole until I was an adult. However what we called Pepper Bellies was a standard camping food. Layer of Fritos (scoops is better), canned chili, then cheese, onions, sour cream, salsa, whatever we wanted on top. Grab the Fritos and whatever was on top to eat - sort of like nachos. No idea where my parents got the name for it.

Comment

Interesting read and back story on Frito Pie - https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...rito-pie-eyed/
      Last edited by cgrover60; September 22, 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought you might appreciate that Jim White.
        Last edited by cgrover60; September 22, 2020, 04:38 PM.

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        @JimWhite : I love the classless. You might be considered without class it you are eating it, but every class eats it (openly or secretly!)/

I also watched the Bourdain video of him partaking. he dumps on it first off then he says he is opposed to everything this dish stands for and yet. . . it is also delicious."

Stuff like this is *always* delicious, no? :-)
        Last edited by Foehn Watts; September 22, 2020, 03:28 PM.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice article. I like the idea of using NM Red Chile Sauce as the hot sauce.

I'm in!
      Chili with fritos and various fixin's isn't any different than chili with cornbread and all the fixin's. Good eats, brother!

I don't think I'm on board with taco in a bag though....

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, walking tacos (aka taco in a bag) are usually "fair food" -- something you'd eat when walking around the county fairgrounds admiring the pigs, cattle, and crafts or at some other large outdoor event like a Rendezvous.

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        IowaGirl -I wonder what you could call frito pie at a Renaissance Fair? I'll have to think about that.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm sure they'd have to re-imagine a walking taco at a Ren Fest.

While I have never heard of this on the East Coast we do have what seems to be similar: the walking taco. Open a single serve bag of Fritos and dump in taco meat. So basically minus the beans....
      it was big at my daughter’s sports events 🙂
      Last edited by DreamOn; September 23, 2020, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Crazy that this seems to have really only been a stable of grade-school cafeterias in TX and OK. Next thing yall will tell me is that chicken fried steak wasn't served at least once a week as well.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah, we had chicken fried steak ( frozen hockey pucks ) Frito chili pie, fried fish on Friday's, sometimes meatloaf. Absolutely terrible tasting crap. But back then we didn’t know better.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          It is crazy to look back on it. I was in grade school in the 80s....clearly the notion of healthy food was not quite there yet.

Ok, since this post started, I’ve heard much about the walking tacos. Sounds good and I want to know more. Please tell me how to make this at home, no bags, wanna eat this off a plate.

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not quite a walking taco but we eat this at home out of a bowl.
          Shredded lettuce in the bottom of the bowl. Shredded cheese on top of that. Then layer on taco meat. Next put on as much crushed up Doritos as you want. Next pour on some Catalina dressing. Then top with any other toppings you want. Black olives, Chopped onions, Diced tomatoes, pickled jalapeños.

• DreamOn
          DreamOn commented
          Editing a comment
          Walking tacos Only must have items are Fritos with taco seasoned meat dumped on top. Optional additions are shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, diced tomato and sour cream.
          At sports events here you would get your bag with chips n beef in line then hit the "condiment table" to add other stuff as desired. Personally "all" is my choice 😁.
          You need thicker Fritos as opposed to corn chips as they don’t get soggy and disintegrate when you scoop .
          So just plop your Fritos on a plate and add toppings
          Last edited by DreamOn; September 23, 2020, 06:47 AM.

It's an abomination... Nacho Cheese Doritos is what goes in mild chili, and Flamas Doritos is what goes in spicy chili. I suppose, tho, if you only have Fritos on hand...

Comment

Jim...you scored a touchdown with this post. I have had great fun reading everyone’s posts and comments. Great job!

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. The response has been very different than I expected. I really thought some chili purists would find Frito Chili Pie offensive, but so far not the case. The shared remembrances from so many people have been heartwarming and very entertaining.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Chili purists? There ain’t no chili purists here, not when it comes to Frito Chili Pie. Luckily, no one was calling fer corn or carrots. Now, Texas Chili, another story. Still, this was a great post Jimbo!
            Last edited by Panhead John; September 22, 2020, 10:29 PM.

• Foehn Watts
            Foehn Watts commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel that any chili concoctio, no matter how exotic/improved/prizewinning would be improved by Fritos. Texas or not @PanheadJohn ! :-)

Back in the 50s and 60s The Spot was across the street from Jefferson Jr High. It was run by 2 nice ladies and it sold candy bars and such and Frito Pies. They cost 30 cents. They would split a single serve bag of Fritos along the side and fill the bag with chili. I don't remember anything about the chili other than it was good, just the right temp and had no beans.
          We still have a Frito Pie when the weather is cool or occasionally in the summer when we just want something different.
          That was in Abilene Texas.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Love that story! I had a burrito guy and he even gave me up to $2.50 credit. That’s a lot to a little kid when you get a big bean n cheese burrito (Enough to split with someone) for .59 cents.

Chili Purists - that's funny. Where else but here can you find 100 different types of 'chili purists' that actually all get along with each other?

(but I did read once that Huskee thinks chili is anything with cumin in it)

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Huskee. Clams, the most underused ingredient in Authentic Chile, who'da thunk!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Remember, if clams are not available.....Imitation Lobster Meat is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

• Foehn Watts
            Foehn Watts commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, come'on. If yer gonna stuff from the water in chili, well just come over here and I'll ralph in yer Frito Pie!

Got all inspired and stuff. So.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE74831A-37CD-4769-A8CF-887427F4EF06.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	915087

I thought I had a can of Dennison's no bean chili in the pantry, but I think Drunk Me used it to make chili dogs. So, adapt and overcome.

Name:	32C10F67-C0D2-427B-817B-426B21F2777A_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	915086

Yeah, pretty much nailed Concession Stand Chili.

Also Panhead John, you can eat this off a plate. You can even use metal utensils.

Name:	54649D70-DB3D-4995-AD49-7FAC98B7F4A3_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	915084

Sadly I am out of pickled Jalapeños, or any Jalapeños for that matter. I made up for it with more Tapatio.

Name:	4040756C-F0D8-4DB0-B631-969D172FE890_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	915085

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Would be great if you could share your recipe. Thanks Jim White

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m pretty sure we might be seeing a few more pics like this! Hopefully! Thanks Jim White and mnavarre

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            That right there! Cheese, Onions, jalapeños....that’s all I need on my frito pie!!!!

Actually - check that - chopped green chile! That, just takes it over the top

Great cook!

Good gawd man. That’s heartburn in a
          bag for me.

That tostitos sauce is pretty tasty. I love that chili frito.

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure Bad Things are in store for me, but it was worth it.

• Foehn Watts
            Foehn Watts commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are smart, and know in advance you *might( be havin' Frito Pie (or variation thereof), you will stash your favorite heartburn remedy somewhere on your person. BE PREPARED!

Thank you Sir. Thank you. This is really a cool helpful and inspiring topic.
          This will be on my wagons menu for next week Wednesday. I'd like to have it for this Friday but not sure if I can get it together by then.
          I'm looking forward to the reaction from my customer's. I'm thinking of going with Meatheads chili sauce from the free side but will take a look at some of the recipes posted here.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Whohoo!!

Let us know what kind of response you get with your Food Truck Frito Pie, holehogg . Good luck with it!

Kathryn

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do. Thanks Kathryn

Foehn Watts

Im a staunch believer in a better life through chemistry. I gotta whole backpack full but i still dont eat that stuff.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
            Foehn Watts commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey I don't like to use zantac and the like either. I am more into the low tech version: oral administration of a chemical neutralizer of excess alimentary acidic elements with, oh, what is it called, calcium carbonate (read: "I suck on a Tums/generic version of Tums.).

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here