Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHO Soup Recipe help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PHO Soup Recipe help

Does anyone have a tried and true PHO soup recipe? I love this soup and when I can find somewhere that serves it that's where I'm eating!! I would love to make it myself and it doesn't look too hard. I've found a couple recipes on-line that look good but wanted to ask everyone here and get their thoughts before I go give this a shot.

I’ve made Alton a Browns recipe a few times in my instapot and it was really good. Recipe came from his most recent book I believe. I liked the fact it was a 1-2 hour process from start to beginning and provided the same great flavor I was used to getting at the restaurants.

Comment

I bet the Food Dictator has a recipe, if he were still posting here.

Comment

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Jhirshon does indeed. Go to thefooddictator.com and search for pho soup.

I think the key to a really good pho is the beef stock, probably "Asianized" a bit with ginger and whatnot and absolutely homemade.

Comment

Here's the recipe I used to make this pho with pork loin, bok choy and shitake mushroom

2 Tbl coriander seeds
        4 whole cloves
        4 whole star anise
        1 cinnamon stick

Toast the above spices in a hot skillet for 3-4 minutes, until they become fragrant. Pour into a bowl and let cool.

2 quarts homemade chicken stock
        1 bunch green onions, top green parts chopped
        1 3-inch chunk ginger, sliced and smashed with the flat side of a knife
        1 tsp brown sugar
        1 Tbl fish sauce
        1 lb baby bok choy
        1 lb shitake mushrooms, sliced
        6 oz udon noodles
        1 lb cooked pork loin, sliced
        cilantro, chopped for garnish
        green onion white parts, chopped for garnish
        lime wedges
        Sriracha sauce

- Add the toasted spices, green onion tops, ginger, brown sugar and fish sauce to the broth and bring to a boil.
        - Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim the surface.
        - While the stock simmers, saute the shitake in sunflower oil until tender
        - Remove all the spices, green onions and ginger
        - Add the bok chow and cook for 1-2 minute until tender
        - Add the shitake to the broth
        - Cook the udon noodles in water as directed on the package
        - Dvivide the cooked noodles into bowls, then ladle broth, bok choy and mushrooms into each bowl
        - Top with slices of pork loin
        - Let everyone add garnishes and Sriracha to taste

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the recipe.

Part of what I don't like about Pho is that I don't like rice noodles as much as I like ramen or udon. I bought some frozen udon noodles at the Korean supermarket this weekend but had no specific plans for them. I may do this.

Comment

Can't find done? Our noble leader posted his recipe that appears in his new cookbook. From Meathead....

brisket-pho-X3.jpg Pho is a rich complex Vietnamese broth usually loaded with meat and veggies. This one contains leftover brisket and bone broth from smoked

Comment

My son brought me 8 lbs of beef soup bones Saturday. I’m wondering if I can use beef broth to boil these bones in and get a deeper beef flavor??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here