Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Beef Barley Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Beef Barley Soup

Wish I’d realized this was going to be my dinner inspiration when I decided to dry those peppers .... So, digging around looking for some inspiration for dinner, I discovered a small top round roast in the outside fridge. Decided that beef barley soup sounded good. Set up the Hasty-Bake, chunked up the top round into reasonable size pieces, dry brined them for an hour.

While I was getting the smoke going, I sautéed a diced onion until it was translucent, added some crushed garlic, pepper, celery seed, and cooked for a minute or so. Deglazed the pot with some red wine, then added some beef stock, big chunks of celery and carrot. I cooked that until it tasted right, then pulled out the celery and carrot.

Meanwhile, I smoked the top round until it hit about 155F, then diced it up, browned it. Added that to the soup pot, and some more stock. Let that cook a couple hours. Just added some barley and chopped carrots and celery, plus more wine and beef stock. It’s almost ready to serve and the house smells like smoky beef soup goodness!

Sorry, totally spaced on taking pictures. And I don’t have exact amounts cause I don’t make soup that way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C1E07A5-5641-4594-AD16-100C28C270D1.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	570044

I can taste it!

Comment

This sounds amazing.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It was outstanding ... I wish I’d written it down

That sounds fantastic Eric! I really enjoy cooking like that as well.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike it was sooo good. You should do this ... it’s easy as pie and tastes amazing

Sound and looks fantastic!

Comment

Very creative!

Comment

Love beef barley soup and that looks really good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here