Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili is cooking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili is cooking!

Got some chili going today. I had a couple of chuck roasts and a whole bunch of peppers from the garden that I needed to use up. Jalapeños and Anaheims, to give a good balance of flavor and heat. I mixed it up on my normal method and used the peppers instead of chili powder .....

For the heat/spice base:
    8 (1/2 size, quite small) Red jalapeños
    8 anaheims
    4 green jalapeños
    2 red bell peppers
    8 cloves garlic
    1 onion
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp olive oil

I charred the peppers, garlic, onion. Then skinned and deseeded the peppers. Tossed it all in a bowl and used the immersion blender to create a purée that I allowed to sit in the fridge overnight.

The meat

6 lbs of choice chuck roast

I dry brined that yesterday and let it sit in the beer/meat fridge overnight. Today, before going on the Hasty-Bake, I hit it with some BBBR. Put it on the Hasty-Bake at about 250F with a nice chunk of red oak and cooked it until the IT was about 155-160 and it had a good bark going. Then pulled, cut out the big hunks of fat, cubed it, browned it. I smoked 1/2 onion while I was at it.

The chili - all the quantities are "about" cause I eye balled it all

the smoked meat
    6 slices of my maple-whiskey bacon
    2 tbsp paprika
    2 tbsp cumin
    1/2 onion, smoked, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    25 tortilla chips, crumbled
    2 oz bakers chocolate
    2/3 bottle red wine
    24 oz beef stock
    2 cans diced tomatoes

I use the biggest enameled Dutch oven Costco sells in the Kirkland brand

fry the bacon until fat is rendered, but not too crunchy
    chop and reserve bacon
    cook onion in bacon fat until wilted and translucent
    add garlic and cook about 2 minutes, don’t let it burn
    add paprika and cumin, stir into bacon fat, cook about 1 minute until aromatic
    add some wine, deglaze the pot
    added 1/2 my pepper purée
    added the meat
    Covered with wine and beef stock
    stirred in the bacon, chocolate, chips and tomatoes

Bring it to a boil so the chili knows who the boss is, then down to a simmer and let it cook until meat is tender and all the flavors incorporate .... 3 hours, give or take. As it is cooking, I’m going to add more of the pepper purée as needed to get the spice profile I want.

Serve with crusty bread, red wine and a salad ..... if people insist, put out some chopped onions, jalapeños, grated cheese, sour cream .... but why would you do that? I don’t get it.

My wife says it already has great flavor, and it’s only been cooking about an hour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B39C754-88E0-489A-AFEA-72D25B151881.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	566953Click image for larger version  Name:	8B65BB4C-A199-46E2-89A3-4D20C4B4A0A9.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	566954Click image for larger version  Name:	4494F2B9-5ECA-4279-B8C3-3720ADCD7F27.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	566949Click image for larger version  Name:	25222AA5-224A-462D-8885-4102E812A846.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	566950Click image for larger version  Name:	FB958D99-A396-45ED-A996-CAA9229607B5.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	566951Click image for larger version  Name:	22B94F27-6004-4C55-A63D-0D2795BDFECC.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	566952Click image for larger version  Name:	44D03070-D124-4EC3-AB90-D0D0D71A5C79.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	566956Click image for larger version  Name:	A2376199-9C42-414E-97D8-0074521098F0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	566955Click image for larger version  Name:	0E8259DB-6E60-49D1-BF2C-11350FD8605B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	566957Click image for larger version  Name:	CECA230C-3DCB-47B4-8A8D-BD0D9A85BCA2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.09 MB ID:	566958Click image for larger version  Name:	730F4C81-F2C2-4C5E-80BC-DB755E6A095C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	566959Click image for larger version  Name:	98AD87A4-C5DF-447E-8A68-B3CCEC712120.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	566960
    Last edited by ecowper; September 16, 2018, 04:42 PM.

Bookmarked, thanks!

What kind of red wine, Cabernet, or something sweeter?

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and... nice photography!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      treesmacker the "creamy stuff" is the peppers after they are puréed.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Villa Antinori is an Italian wine - it's a Toscana aka a super Tuscan.

Wow!

Comment

N227GB I use an inexpensive Chianti ..... I like the rustic flavor it gives you

Comment

Very nice! And thank you for the detailed recipe. Looking forward to hearing how it tastes.

I'm also making up a batch of chile verde today to use a batch of peppers from our garden.
        Surprisingly similar recipe flow except I'm using pork rather than chuck roast, beer instead of wine,
        and I don't add tomatoes. Bon appetit!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          theroc make sure you grow at least two tomatillo plants. We found out the hard way that you need two plants within 25 feet of each other to pollinate and get fruit. The great thing is that tomatillos will grow and produce fruit from last frost to first frost .... in CA you should get fruit from April to October.

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re welcome! I love having tomatillos growing in the backyard .... they are cool plants and people are always wondering what they are.

Lovely...Thanks!

Comment

That sounds and looks great.

The only time I add "stuff" to chili is if it's not good to begin with.

Comment

Nice brother. Sounds like you’re gonna have 1 awesome batch of chili.

Comment

Only thing I see missing is the beans. 😀

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                You wanna get blocked or something? ;-)

Why no tomatillos in the chilli? I love tomatillos in chilli. I like the crumbled tortilla chip idea as a thickener. I usually use a masa paste. I’ll have to try tortilla chips.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Saving the tomatillos for the next round of chile verde

Finished product!

Click image for larger version

Name:	48907CFD-4361-44DF-B615-93EC7BB07F1D.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	567119

Comment

Thank you ecowper for sharing! I have been wanting to make a smoked chuck chili and I believe I will try this recipe before adapting my old and tired recipe. Thanks again!

Comment

Can't help but look at this again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here