Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked beef stew techniques question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked beef stew techniques question

I've been wanting to perfect a smoked beef stew. Normally I will smoke for about 3 hours at 220, then sear, then put into the slow cooker. Today I'm trying searing first, then putting the whole pan of meat in the smoker 1/2 filled with stock (so I'm essentially braising the meat in the smoker), I'll see how that comes out soon.

Using well marbled chuck and/or short ribs (today doing all short ribs). Anyone have suggestions on other methods they've used for a smoke stew that works well?

never done this. I will now though. sounds fun. good luck

Comment

I think that it depends upon how much smoke flavor you want as smoke is attracted to cool surfaces, plus as if you sear the meat, I would imagine less smoke will penetrate the meat. but please let us know how it goes.

Comment

I smoke the meat for my chili. I use the technique you described .... I smoke until internal temp is about 160 and I've hit the stall. Then I brown it in hot cast iron. Then into the stew pot with all my chili ingredients. I also smoke the onions ... only about 30 minutes for those.

Comment

I've been running into a few sites lately that say not to bother searing for stews and such. I'm not sure I've absorbed their reasoning, but for sheer unadulterated smokey flavor you might consider it (me too).

Comment

My experience with mac and cheese in the smoker is during cooking I stir well "THREE" times when smoking. This adds plenty of smoke flavor, any more stirring and for us it's too much. The mac and cheese is in the smoker a couple of hours.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              STIRING!! oh my gosh I have not tried Mac and cheese but but tired beans and other items and never got any smoke flavor but I just put them in like I would an oven Stir to mix in the smoke Dang I'm so Lazy I never stired lol ok gonna try again

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I love this advice. I'm going to try as well and see how it comes out. Totally makes sense. Thanks again SMOG MAN!

Alright, done, and had it for dinner last night.

Here's a 7 second video I uploaded showing the moisture retention I got:

Results overall were good:
            1. Really juicy, retained more moisture than smoking them over a water pan, and more moisture than my usual method of smoke, sear, braise.
            2. You're right lschweig Lower smoke flavor in the meat, mainly because I seared first, and partially submerged the meat during smoke process.
            3. More smoke flavor in the gravy, since I smoked the gravy with the meat. SMOG MAN good suggestion on the stirring, I think I'll try that next time to see if I can get even more smoke in the gravy.

EdF Interesting, maybe I'll try that with a couple pieces of meat, but I can't see the rationale there. I love that carmelized taste on the outside, and being partially submerged, I'm almost sure I won't get that.

Overall: Success! Family devoured them.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              BBQbot - I was just plain wrong. The method I saw was to sear the whole piece of meat, then cut into large cubes when you put it into the stew. Sounds really similar to what you've done here. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...beef-stew.html

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF wow, thanks, you're right, that's how I normally sear, but that article was filled with a lot of other great tips (Booze makes it better, and use gelatin)! I really enjoy reading stuff from J Kenji Lopez-Alt because of the science perspective he brings like Meathead does. Thanks again!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, these two are my current favorites, largely because of the "food science" slant to how you do things.

Originally posted by BBQbot View Post
            I've been wanting to perfect a smoked beef stew. Normally I will smoke for about 3 hours at 220, then sear, then put into the slow cooker. Today I'm trying searing first, then putting the whole pan of meat in the smoker 1/2 filled with stock (so I'm essentially braising the meat in the smoker), I'll see how that comes out soon.

Using well marbled chuck and/or short ribs (today doing all short ribs). Anyone have suggestions on other methods they've used for a smoke stew that works well?
            When I smoke meat for stew, I use choice-grade brisket flats from Costco (I like 6-8 lb flats).

I dry brine with 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb for 4-6 hours, inject "no salt added" beef broth, apply Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR), and smoke on my WSM at 225 until the IT hits 160 (regular Kingsford briquettes, oak & apple wood chunks). Then I double-wrap tightly in foil with a quarter cup of said beef broth, and finish in our convection oven until IT is 203 AND passes the toothpick tenderness test. Then I wrap in blankets for 1-2 hours.

Then my wife works her magic with onions, peppers, celery, carrots, spices, etc., and chopped brisket. It's all slow-cooked in a crock pot. I took some to work last week for our monthly luncheon, and it was gone faster than anything else in a crock pot that day.
            Last edited by TBoneJack; January 29, 2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks TBoneJack, interesting. So you do the whole cook in the smoker, essentially crutching to get the 'stewing' effect, then combine after. I may have to try. Seems if you cook the brisket again after it's cooked though (is that what you're saying as last step?) it may overcook the brisket.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              TBoneJack what's your convection unit?

EdF , it's a new Samsung gas and convection oven we bought back in November when our old unit stopped working. I've used my ThermaQ to test the grate temp vs. set temp, and it's remarkably close.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds great!

BBQbot , I asked my wife and she doesn't add the meat at a point where it cooks much more. Rather, she adds the meat after cooking the other stew ingredients for a while, then simmers that with the meat for bit to mix the flavors before serving. Seems to turn out well. I smoke the meat, she makes the dishes...

Comment

• BBQbot
              BBQbot commented
              Editing a comment
              TBoneJack Gotcha. I like that idea! I'll have to give it a try and compare. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here