Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite Potato Chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Your Favorite Potato Chip?

So I'm sitting here eating lunch at my desk and stuffing my face once again with potato chips. I mean I LOVE potato chips, next to fries it's easily my favorite snack food. When I was a kid growing up in Chicago the only chip I can ever remember eating was Jays....

....in fact for many years I thought that was the only chip there was. Although still around the original company has since filed bankruptcy and was bought out by another producer who has seemingly kept true to the original brand. A man by the name of Leonard Japp started the company in 1927 and first called his product "Mrs. Japp's Potato Chips" after his wife Eugenia. In 1941 when America entered the war against Japan, eating Japp potato chips just wasn't going to cut it so they changed the name to Jay's. A great chip with a great history.

Fast forward to today, and being a long time southerner and Texan, Lay's in Dallas was what I switched to. Quite frankly I really don't think that much of them, they're a bit too on the light and greasy side for me. What I have discovered a decade or so ago was a company out of New Orleans that made a kettle style chip called Zapps....

I just love there variety of flavors and their deep thick crunchiness. I could eat that whole bag and then be looking for more. A sandwich is just not complete without my Zapp's !!!!!

So tell me all you chip lovers, what do ya'll eat ????

I like the kettle cooked. I used to get Tim's (PNW company) 'Lightly Salted' if I could, but now Walmart has come up with their own lightly salted line for a fraction of the price. What is nice about the lightly salted is you don't need all that salt and they have a more potato flavour.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Zapp's has a NO SALT flavor that I just love. You really taste the potato.

i'll second the kettle cooked. almost any brand works for me. almost always original.

besides that: pringles original

i don't care for many chip companies flavored varieties. i mostly stick with original

Comment

I'm not a chip freak. However, bag quantities are the norm when I do eat them. Can't say that I have a favorite, although Zapps as a brand is at the top of my list. The fellow that owned Zapps passed a few years back. I heard of commercially available chips cooked in lard but I've never seen them for sale. I suspect I might only find those in heaven.

Comment

I bounce around. But the fact that Zapp's leave's behind an oily residue on boxes in which they lay on tells you they ain't nothin' but AWESOME!

Comment

If I am looking for something beyond Lays my go to chips are the Tim's Cascade Jalapeno chips. I am generally not a fan of kettle cooked chips but the Tim's Jalapeno are excellent. They have a good amount of heat to them but not overpowering. With something like Lays I can power through a ton of them very quickly but I can't do more than a handful of the Tim's Jalapeno chips at a time. So I consider them "healthy".

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	gan-grippos-chip-012913-4-3_4.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	639182
            Grippo's are out of Cincy. I grew up with my grandma feeding me these chips. They have a little kick and are severely coated in sugar and spice. She bought them at the IGA in Morgantown, IN. Still my favorite chip.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh boy !!!

Back when I was a kid in the 50's, I remember potato chips in a large tin delivered directly to the house. I'm pretty sure they were Charles Chips. Apparently the company has changed hands several times since then and the current owners are now offering original recipe Charles Chips in what looks a lot like the original tin. I doubt they still deliver (certainly not in the greater Denver metro area) ... but they can be ordered online and shipped: Charles Chips Website

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              True story: there was a kid in my high school named Charles Chips. I remember wondering why any parent would name their kid after a brand of potato chips.

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah, Charles Chip's in those big round tins! I think they also had Cheese Popcorn. Had them as a kid in Niagara Falls NY

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              My cousins on the east coast used to send us a tin of those chips every Christmas (for some odd reason). Anyway those chips are the bomb !!!!

Not a huge fan of chips. Not that I don't like them but I don't tend to buy them. My girlfriend loves chips and snack stuff though. I guess Salt and Vinegar would be my favorite. I liked some of those weird Lays flavors too. Chicken and Biscuit were good ones. They should have made my Whiskey and Pickles idea.
            Last edited by Attjack; February 21, 2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, but you can't choose your family, Troutman. You're stuck with me.

• Fire Art
              Fire Art commented
              Editing a comment
              Wife makes kale chips and yes I hate them

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, that's because kale chip are gross, Fire Art.

UTZ out of Manassas Va is a good local chip.

Comment

Grandma Utz. Brown bag. Kettle chips fried in lard.

Next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b2a69236-a1a2-403e-ad92-0fea841882ba_cab26fe1-8800-459f-a871-199091e6b710_600x.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	639199

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool !!!!

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to see if I can get those online. Fried in laaaarrrd!! OMG
                Last edited by NapMaster; February 21, 2019, 09:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                They don’t taste like you expect chips to taste, other than potato-y. It’s like you would think chips tasted like years and years ago.

If I'm cooking something for a get together at our house, and my wife sets out a big bowl of Ruffles or Wavy Lays, I will dig in. Otherwise, I almost never eat potato chips. I like to have a salty snack to wash down with some beer when I'm cooking outside, and Santitas tortilla chips are my go-to.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Kinda the same thing. Chips and salsa, I usually get sick eating way too many of those at Mexican restaurants

Pringles are my absolute bane. I can never get enough of them.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Those aren't chips, they are chemicals made to look like chips. SPIT THOSE OUT IMMEDIATELY !!!!

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                Pringles are my spirit animal, except they messed up the Cheddar Cheese ones, they are no longer the tube of cheese crack that they used to be. Can we talk about the amazing goodness that exists in the form of Chili Cheese Fritos now? Potato chips are boring.

• Buck Flicks
                Buck Flicks commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I don't care that they're not sliced from a potato. They're darned delicious. The Dill Pickle, Salt and Vinegar, and regular flavors are my favorite varieties.

Chili Cheese Fritos are the best.

Herr’s Old Bay Potato Chips

Comment

Definitely, not a potato chip but my favorite chip is Cool Ranch Doritos.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's my daughter's as well. She devours bags of those.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here