Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What peppers am I eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What peppers am I eating?

Hey all,

I need some help. I apparently slept through that class in gardening school in which they tell you actually keep track of what you have planted in your garden.

So we have this plant -- actually, I think two of them -- that produce these peppers. Any idea what they are? The long ones are decently hot, perhaps serrano-level hot. The smaller ones have very little heat....they might be those jalapeno-shaped bell peppers, but I am not sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4194.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	925111

(Wow, I didn't realize how much of a just-grabbed-some-wild-mushrooms-off-the-side-of-the-road-and-ate-them vibe this would have. We got these plants at a legitimate store lol.)

Looks to me like 2 cayennes (I just picked a bunch this morning), 1 cherry and 1 partially ripe jalapeno.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; October 17, 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The long red peppers on the top left look like classic "red chili peppers". Could be Aji Rojo, red serrano or cayenne. The yellow one looks like a yellow cherry pepper or possibly a tobasco.
      No idea on the orange one. Too smooth to be a habanero.
      Are they all hot?

Comment

My memory of the Tabasco peppers I grew years ago was that they were red and shorter and straighter than the pic of the red ones. I vote Cayenne or Thai on the red ones, cherry on the yellow and possibly jalapeño on the other.

Comment

I didn't go through the whole list but this might be helpful:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types/

Comment

I showed them to my sister, who is a chef, and she agrees with yall. The thin, red ones are some form of cayenne and the smaller ones possibly a tabasco.

Comment

The two red are what I would call Chile pequin, as they look just like the dried pequin I use along with dried red chile I buy in New Mexico. I was going to also suggest chile de arbol, but I don’t think those are the same use to the stem.

more importantly what are you going to do with them!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                So far, they are going in pretty much everything. They are excellent chopped up in brown rice.

The top two look like ripe Serrano's.

Comment

I say cayenne . Regardless, I am sure they will be good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis