Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What peppers am I eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What peppers am I eating?

Hey all,

I need some help. I apparently slept through that class in gardening school in which they tell you actually keep track of what you have planted in your garden.

So we have this plant -- actually, I think two of them -- that produce these peppers. Any idea what they are? The long ones are decently hot, perhaps serrano-level hot. The smaller ones have very little heat....they might be those jalapeno-shaped bell peppers, but I am not sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4194.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	925111

(Wow, I didn't realize how much of a just-grabbed-some-wild-mushrooms-off-the-side-of-the-road-and-ate-them vibe this would have. We got these plants at a legitimate store lol.)

Looks to me like 2 cayennes (I just picked a bunch this morning), 1 cherry and 1 partially ripe jalapeno.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; October 17, 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

The long red peppers on the top left look like classic "red chili peppers". Could be Aji Rojo, red serrano or cayenne. The yellow one looks like a yellow cherry pepper or possibly a tobasco.
      No idea on the orange one. Too smooth to be a habanero.
      Are they all hot?

Comment

My memory of the Tabasco peppers I grew years ago was that they were red and shorter and straighter than the pic of the red ones. I vote Cayenne or Thai on the red ones, cherry on the yellow and possibly jalapeño on the other.

Comment

I didn't go through the whole list but this might be helpful:

There are numerous types of chili peppers in the world. Here is a list of chili pepper types along with heat levels, descriptions and more. Please browse our large selection of the world's types of chili peppers categorized by heat level or listed alphabetically.

Comment

I showed them to my sister, who is a chef, and she agrees with yall. The thin, red ones are some form of cayenne and the smaller ones possibly a tabasco.

Comment

The two red are what I would call Chile pequin, as they look just like the dried pequin I use along with dried red chile I buy in New Mexico. I was going to also suggest chile de arbol, but I don’t think those are the same use to the stem.

more importantly what are you going to do with them!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                So far, they are going in pretty much everything. They are excellent chopped up in brown rice.

The top two look like ripe Serrano's.

Comment

I say cayenne . Regardless, I am sure they will be good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here