Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Great Cowboy Caviar Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Great Cowboy Caviar Recipe

Who doesn't love Cowboy Caviar? There are a lot different ways to make it. There's one on The Pit offered by our much-missed Steve Markley.

But I'm sure there are other really great recipes out there. The ones I like have both black beans and black eyed peas in the mix. But I'm open to any mix of ingredients for this delectable concoction.

Recipes or recipe links (that you know are delicious) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Mine's about the same as your example.
    I call it Cowboy Hunter Caviar, mostly cause I hunt around the pantry to see what's in stock and go from there so its usually never the same twice.
    Like you I try more than one type of bean or pea, my wife especially likes chick peas in it
    I take away: cumin and no oil and frozen corn. If I've grilled fresh corn that's a different story.
    I add: 1 envelope garlic and herb salad dressing mix, chopped cilantro, diced roma tomato.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the "hunting and gathering" vibe of your recipe, smokin fool . Thanks!

Kathryn

I'll be watchin'.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I meant to steal some ideas from Steve, and totally forgot until now.

Here is what I usually throw together

3 cans of beans (a mix - I usually use cannelloni, dark red kidney, and black)
      1 green pepper
      1 red pepper (orange, yellow, or etc)
      can of green giant niblets or mexicorn
      1/2 large red onion
      2 to 4 cloves of garlic
      2 jalapeños (finely chopped)
      cilantro chopped
      Vinaigrette or store bought Italian dressing

Drain and rinse the beans. Drain the corn. Dice the peppers and onion. Deseed and finely dice the jalapeño peppers. Crush the garlic. Add everything together and mix with a homemade vinaigrette or Italian dressing. I usually add (freshly) ground black pepper, but don't add salt. I serve with tortilla chips, but have been known to eat the left overs like a salad. Might be this version, and also a hot version with lime and cumin for my more adventurous guests.
      Last edited by djl; June 13, 2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds delicious. Thanks, djl .

Kathryn

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta be black eyed peas in it or it doesn’t qualify down here!🤣

• djl
        djl commented
        Editing a comment
        What'd ya expect from a yank!

Right I actually substituted out the back eyed peas once (didn't have them) and the wife. (She is yankee too) liked it better that way. It has now become the standard here. Usually I am smart enough not call it Texas Caviar. Momentary lapse of reason. Use 2 cans of black-eyed peas and 1 can of black. Also put the tomatoes back in too!
        Last edited by djl; June 23, 2019, 09:04 AM.

Lady you got me wondering what cowboy caviar was so I did a Bing search and came up with dozens and dozens of recipes.

Here is an interesting one that has avocado in it https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...caviar-recipe/

Here is a pretty straight forward one they say is from Oklahoma https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...caviar-3757671

You can go here and find a whole bunch more. https://www.bing.com/search?q=cowboy...02c861427a5c43

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the links!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the links, mountainsmoker . I'll work my way through them. I'm hoping, in addition, for members here to give their recipes. Nothing like a good TNT (tried 'n true) recipe from a home cook for comfort food such as this.

BTW following one link I found a Chile and Lime Texas Caviar recipe that looks pretty tasty: https://cafedelites.com/chili-lime-texas-caviar/

Kathryn

Three things that elevate this dish:
      1. Diced avocado
      2. Diced poblanos instead of green peppers
      3. Fry you own tortilla chips if using as a dip.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; June 14, 2019, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the idea of the poblanos tossed in there. Avocado added at the end is a great idea too. Yum. I may fry up some tortilla chips just in anticipation of making a version with your suggestions. Thanks, Bkhuna .

Kathryn

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't believe I've never thought of adding Avocado!!!!
        To clarify my take on making this I don't put any of the hot peppers other have mentioned, the sissies here don't like them.

smokin fool Poblanos aren't hot. YMMV.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not know that, I have no experience with some of the peppers talked about on this site because they're just not available up here.
        Thank you

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool Poblanos weigh in at ~ bout half as hot as a jalapeño, fyi...very nice flavour added to many dishes, vs green bell peppers...

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I would love to find these and give em a try, again like cuts of meat you guys take for granted local grocery stores don't carry them.
        I'm going to have widen my search area.
        ….sigh....

Not a recipe, but a while back Costco was selling tubs of this a while back. Took a flier on it, and it was really good. I know homemade is always better, but if you ever get jammed up on time for a side (or lazy like me lol), you could do worse.

The Costco angle just reminded me of a funny story... I’ll not hijack your thread, but it’s worth the chuckle if you happen to see it in Recent Posts.

Comment

I’ve never heard of Cowboy Caviar.

i made a lobster salad that has the same concept.

So its basically a salsa with beans right? Scoopable so not too wet?

Comment

You got it, HouseHomey , a scoopable, not too wet salsa. That's why I put my query in the Salsa channel, although it could have fit in other Channels as well. Try it. You'll like it!

Kathryn

Comment

Here is the recipe I always make and everyone loves it. Sorry I didn’t see this sooner.
            Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks really delicious. Thanks, tamidw !

Kathryn

HouseHomey don’t feel bad I had to look it up to!!!!! Never heard of it but you can bet your bottom dollar I’m gonna try it it sounds awesome

Comment

I got turned off of Cowboy Caviar years ago, because a friend used to make it so it was way too dry and mealy for my taste. Unfortunately, she brought it to pretty much every party and potluck we both attended and urged it on all the guests, including me. I had to learn how to politely avoid eating it all the while agreeing with her that "yes, I just had a bite and it is wonderful, but, thanks, I've had enough for now."

She cornered me again recently in such a way that I had to eat a bite of her latest batch or risk offending her. She's my besty and would walk through fire for me, so the least I could do is eat a bite of her Caviar. Thankfully it was a lot better this time -- more crunchy veggies and seasonings to balance out the beans.

But until this latest bite, I had zero interest making this concoction, so I don't have a recipe to offer. I'm reading this thread with the hope that I can learn the secrets of making this dish well from y'all.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a pretty tasty side when you nail the recipe, IMO. Give it a try!

Kathryn

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's to hoping I'll find the holy grail of Cowboy Caviar if I keep reading this thread!

fzxdoc did you settle upon a recipe and make it? My daughter is requesting cowboy caviar with dinner tonight.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you use the full 1/4 cup sugar and it wasn't too sweet? I chickened out of using it, but maybe I should give it a try. Mango would be a great addition. I add a ton of poblanos to give it heat but not too much.

Kathryn

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                I did use the full 1/4 cup and it wasn't that sweet. I also added about a tablespoon of lime juice and threw in about a teaspoon of cumin.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Lime juice and cumin were a good call. I'll do that. And try the sugar. I bet the lime juice balanced out the sugar. I'm such a savory hound that adding sugar to stuff always gives me pause. Thanks for the tips.

K.

Here is another..
              • Salad:
              • 1 (15.25 oz.) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
              • 1 (15.25 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
              • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
              • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
              • 1 avocado, diced, sprinkled with lime juice
              • 1 red bell pepper, diced
              • 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
              • 1/2 red onion, diced
              • 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
              • Dressing:
              • 1 cup mayonnaise
              • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
              • 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
              • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
              • 2 tablespoons lime juice
              PREPARATION
              1. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and lime juice together until smooth, then set aside.
              2. In a large bowl mix corn, beans, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion and cilantro.
              3. Pour on dressing and toss together to combine.
              4. Let rest 15-20 minutes before serving, giving flavors a chance to build. Enjoy!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                that's definitely a different twist than those I've seen around. The bbq sauce, worcestershire, mayo, and brown mustard combo is very intriguing

• tstalafuse
                tstalafuse commented
                Editing a comment
                hoovarmin Cowboys are different round these parts..

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here