Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are my Tomatoes growing Sprouts Internally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are my Tomatoes growing Sprouts Internally?

I have never seen this before, and I'm just not using them.... These are Campari, and are getting external bumps where the sprouts are taking hold and growing internally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom Sprouts.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	599389

By Carol Quish for UConn Extension   Seeds germinating inside tomato, J. Copes photo. Have you ever cut into a tomato and found white squiggly looking things inside? These are not worms or aliens that made their way to the center, but rather seeds of the fruit that have begun germinating. I ...

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of such a thing! As someone who loves learning new things I'm gonna have to intentionally look for old maters now

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I've got a case of Vivipary. No doubt...

Aliens...despite what th article sez...

Look at th bright side:

They're 100% edible, an ya git some free mater sets fer springtime.

Comment

Well, ribeyeguy & Mr. Bones you guys are right. I just moved these to a window sill to rest for awhile. I'll pick the largest sprouts out in ~ a week and move to moist germinating soil for the winter. I'll have plenty of healthy plants for spring.

I'd just never seen this before. Looking closely, I can see that the individual sprouts originate from individual seeds that I'll be able to remove easily when larger.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Never seen it here, either...

Thanks fer th knowledge, brother!

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones the two halves are gonna yield a couple dozen plants. That's worth hanging on to... this was the last Campari of ~ 10 toms - they were very good.

I have 3" 'plant-able pots' for these on hand in the shed, with 5 lbs. of soil.

Mmmm. Fresh tomatoes are so good, keep on growing.

Comment

Campari tomatoes are hybrids. This means that seeds from them will not produce the same tomatoes as the parent. That does not mean that they will not be good, just different from the parent. They might be similar - no way to tell except to grow them.

The best tomato I ever grew was a volunteer of unknown parentage. There was no way I could identify the parents because I was gowning a number of varieties at the time.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know RonB . I read a snippet somewhere last night that said to expect the unexpected. I guess Campari would be a cross with a larger type, and cherry toms?

I plan on getting a bunch of 5 gallon pails and hanging them to grow tomatoes and peppers upside down. I'm gonna try herbs in the tops.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard growing them upside down works well.

I had a girl friend a number of years ago who had a teenage daughter. They both ate a lot of salads. They lived in a house of pier and beam construction. As a result of a sewage leak they had an unplanned vegetable garden, mostly tomatoes, under and next to their house.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          gcdmd And the health department approved? All I can say is when I was a kid, I know my dad had to grow his garden 150' away from the septic tank's leach field.

But I did used to fish the Duwamish for cats (till I found out about the Green River Killer). (same time I found out why I was the only one fishing there)
          Last edited by JGo37; November 30, 2018, 06:54 PM.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife lived in Hull MA when she was growing up, and the fishermen would come from NY and NJ to fish for flounder. Not sure why since you can fish for them here in NJ. Anyway, her brothers worked at "the bait shop" servicing these fishermen. They called the fish from the bay "s**t flounder" because they were caught near the sewer outflows.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          JGo37 The unplanned garden was the result of the sewage leak. To the best of my knowledge they never ate the tomatoes.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here