Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting hatch chiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roasting hatch chiles

I plan to throw some on the weber tonight because it seems like the right thing to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HatchGLumbreXHotWeb_9bf813dd-583a-4b09-9257-e9130013efbf_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	557109

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Comment

I don't know much about hatch chiles but I like peppers. I figured if I'm roasting and removing the skin smoke might be all that important?

Comment

Interested in this! Let us know how they turn out.

Comment

After roasting, put them in a garbage bag or plastic sack of some sort and let them steam for at least an hour, two is better. You can then peel them easier, or just bag them in zip lock bags for later use. We buy 40lbs every fall, you are going to love them!

Comment

• Deaf Arty
            Deaf Arty commented
            Editing a comment
            try putting the roasted chilis on a sheet pan 1 layer deep and freezing. Then after they're frozen, you can put them in a plastic bag and be able to take just one (or more) out whenever you like without having a frozen lump of chilis.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Freeze for single servings. Got it.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the sandwich size zip bags for freezing. I think we put about 5 chiles in a bag before freezing so they fit in the bag easier. We always use that amount at least or grab a few bags. So you can adjust for how you see fit.

Dang all this talk about chiles has me craving! I made some green chile sour dough this weekend. So dang good when you use it for a grilled cheese!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_174253.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	557296Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_174516.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	557297

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. Got them wrapped if foil in a plastic bag steaming. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_181127.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	557331

Comment

That looks great, let us know how much smoke flavor they picked up from the grill. I've always roasted mine by first halving them and placing them under the broiler. If the grill improves the flavor for you I'll try them this way too.

The hatch peppers just showed up in my local grocery store a few weeks ago and this weekend I did my first batch of chili verde for the season.

Comment

Everything barelfly and Deaf Arty said, plus I have found that it is A LOT easier to de-vein and de-seed them before you roast them. So I split them in half, clean them, lay them on foil and blister them with my weed torch. Then I just wrap them in the foil and let them sit for a while.

One word of advice... wear nylon or nitrile gloves! I always have except for last year. I'll never do that again.
                Last edited by BBQ_Steve-O; August 29, 2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I use giant Poblano all the time, cut in half and deseeded, then blistered to peel. Seems that they can stand an amazing amount of direct heat. I pile cajun dirty rice and beans on top, and that's the main side.

I can't wait to do a hatch roast, bag, and try that. Also on the list for this fall - paprika.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

We use Press & Seal to wrap 4 chilies to a packet. Then we put those packets in a zip lock freezer bag. When I take the roasted chilies off the gasser, they go into a zip lock bag for about 10 minutes before my wife removes the skin and the stem. We leave the seeds and veins in for the added heat. We only buy Extra Hot. We package them by 4 because my pico de gallo recipe calls for 4 chilies per batch.

Comment

Went to Gelsen's a couple weeks back and there was a crew there from a Hatch farm selling roasted peppers. They put them in a big rotating drum - kinda like a clothes dryer or coffee roaster. They said they'll be coming back on certain Saturday mornings during the season so I'm going to go back and load up.

I like doing poblanos in my toaster oven. Broil/turn for 15-20 min then put in a bowl, cover and steam for 20 min then remove skin. Goes great with skirt steak, cheese & beans or rice.

Comment

• barelfly
                          barelfly commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The aroma from the drum roasters with fresh chile........it’s something every New Mexican loves! Permeates the air and is the signal fall and balloon fiesta is coming.

I love going to Whole Foods or Central Market when they're roasting Hatches outside. Smells so good. I need to get some this weekend. I like the idea of freezing them individually. Whenever I put a few in a sandwich ziploc to freeze, they become one mass of chile. I just chisel off what I need, but it'd be easier to be able to pick out one chile at a time.

Comment

LOVE LOVE LOVE my hatch chilies. I lived for ten years in ABQ, and got hooked on everything New Mexico. Now the roast them outside my local HEB. I roast my own, and too freeze them in portions that I need for things. Cant live without them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here