Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the herb garden up and running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the herb garden up and running!

Partially, anyway. It’s still a little early here in NEPA, by about a week. I got one of these standing things from Home Depot. It seems flimsy, but once it’s all together with the soil in it, it’s solid. It’s one of those things that everything depends on everything else to work.

I can’t find any English or French thyme, just lemon thyme. Maybe in a week or so? I still need that, and maybe some marjoram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	411C99B0-B0DC-4A31-A07A-BF41B5952E00.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1220023

Name:	9116014A-799C-4C50-A4EF-143F322224F8.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1220024

That looks great!

Comment

I just got mine up and running also. I’ve had my herb garden in the ground for the past 7 years but for the last two years my pugs from hell tuned it into their bathroom. I got a couple raised beds from Menards and have put my herbs out of the pee zone. It’s also gonna be nice not having to get on the ground to tend to them.

She’s going to plant flowers in the bed below.

Name:	77A43B6D-8B83-407E-A2B9-69C1FB59C6AB.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	1220120

Name:	B823367F-FC6D-4C7C-B5C8-DCEF143D3ACA.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	1220121
      Clockwise from top left:
      Purple Basil
      Dill
      Sweet Basil
      Cilantro
      Flat Leaf Parsley
      Curley Parsley

Name:	4205A091-26CD-490A-A15E-A930E9C78E72.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	1220122
      Clockwise from top left:
      Mojito Mint
      Chives
      Oregano
      Thyme
      Rosemary
      Purple Sage

I put both the Mint and Oregano in 9x9x9 containers in the beds to prevent them from spreading like weeds.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you ever thought you might have the "pugs from hell"….because of how you dress them up every few months?
        Last edited by Panhead John; May 11, 2022, 09:05 PM.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha. That’s why all of my plants in the back yard are fake.

I planted a bunch of stuff from seed, forgot to use markers, and now trying to play the "is it a weed or an herb" game.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        "Herbs: Weeds that taste good."

—Mosca

Our thyme from last year partially came back and we have a rosemary plant growing. We went shopping for vegetable plants this afternoon.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m hoping to move the one raised bed into my garage this winter. Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Mint, Chives and Oregano are perennial plants and will come back the following year as long as they don’t get too cold.

We have learned from last year’s disaster and are not growing from seed this year. We have 5 different tomatoes, cayenne pepper, jalapeños, mint, rosemary, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and one yellow pepper.

Comment

My herb garden is spice Island at the dollar store. 😜

Comment

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          Always in stock 🤣

We do a herb garden every year. I love marjoram, but always have trouble finding it.

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t know what I would do without my herb garden. I love just being able to walk out back and get what I need when I need it. One of my favorite things to do is a fresh herb vinaigrette. That’s our go to salad dressing all summer long.

Mint, thyme, and oregano are my standards. Everything else i just get at the store when i need it. No amount of living basil in the yard will support my pesto habit

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I had so much basil last year, I was making pesto by the quart!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I say that about cilantro in a raised bed. By the time I cut enough to equal two bunches from the market, the cilantro is decimated. Basil--I always have a ton but then I plant a lot of it in pots.

Yesterday we went shopping for vegetable and flowers at several different Greenhouses. Now I think I'm ready to plant as soon as it dries up.

Comment

This year I'm going with small bits of thyme and oregano, and large batches of cilantro, basil, and mint.

Kathryn

Comment

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc i also use the mint for Indian food, has anyone used the Indian Food IP cookbook? The biryani calls for lots of mint. Mint is a lovely summertime cocktail addition. I blend watermelon, lime, and mint to make popsicles for the kids. Its also great in a cup spiked with gin, tequila, or vodka. I do keep it in a planter though as it can take over.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m not a cocktail guy. I’ll have one, but it’s just not my thing. I certainly have room, there’s no harm in adding some mint I guess. I’ll see if I can find marjoram and tarragon first, though. I’d love to find some chervil.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I have two IP Indian cookbooks, MsTwiggy .

The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook: Authentic Flavors and Modern Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker by Archana Mundhe

Indian Instant Pot Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy & Fast by Urvashi Pitre

I've also got Anupy Singla's Indian Slow Cooker, whose recipes I adapt for the IP.

I've been eyeballing Madhur Jaffrey's Instantly Indian Cookbook, since I love her Indian Cooking Cookbook from back in the day.

Kathryn

Herbs for medicinal purposes? Like naturopathic medicine?
          For example, The Lost Book of Remedies
          After all the side effects as noted on TV for the different pills for what ails you--No Thank You.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; May 12, 2022, 05:55 AM.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            Comfrey for poultices, and the flowers are edible - fun in salads. Calendula for homemade salves. Echinacea/Purple Coneflower for tea. If you keep bees the propolis and honey both can be used to bandage wounds or treat burns and its good in the tea! Lavender for sachets and sleep aids. . .

This time of year the gardening bug bites me hard! I have multiple locations. Oregano, rosemary, thyme and chives lasted in their pots from last year. I have my favorite basil (minonette) coming up from seed. This was called boxwood basil when I first bought it, but it's not been easy to find so I grow from seed. It has small leaves that don't need to be chopped, so it holds up better in salads, etc.

Tomatoes -- I have 3 purple cherokee plants and a half dozen of different cherry tomatoes. I have really enjoyed the varigated color cherry tomatoes in the stores this past winter. One ichaban eggplant a couple of broccolini that have flowered. Put up a strawberry "tower" with Ozark everbearing variety, they've been tasty.

After 4 years, my raised bed planks are showing their age. I can maybe squeeze one or two more years out of them. I'm doing more in the fenced in area to quit feeding deer!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            Our chives have been absolute champs. Wife wanted me to throw them away because they were getting kinda nasty, I separated them down to a single shoot about a month ago. I suspect by the end of next month I'll have a usable plant again as it's begun to regrow.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Those damn deer have been at my forsythias. I looked it up, and supposedly they don’t eat them. To that I say, "Balderdash!" I sprayed deer repellent, that has done the trick so far. I think they remember that it tastes bad, and will avoid them henceforth.

Hoping to run out this weekend to fill up my planter. Basil definitely a must plant (would love to find some thai basil), outside that still trying to decide what to grow. Failed at every attempt to grow cilantro so not even trying this year. Maybe get some thyme and maybe chives. Then later in the summer, I'll get a couple tomato plants to grow in a planter and maybe a few habanero plants too

Comment

I found the thyme today, it was where I got my herbs yesterday. I went a lot earlier in the day this time!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here