Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobsta on the grill!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lobsta on the grill!!

**I had originally posted this because this was my first Lobster cook on the grill and I wanted to find information. As I soon found this is pretty much the only thread in The Pit on Grilling lobster. So, I would like to keep this one going. So if anyone has more ideas or suggestions, Let's hear them!! This is a great place to learn new cooking styles and techniques and grilling seafood is no different. Thank You!**

-Spinaker (We now return you to your previously scheduled program)

Evening Pit Members, I hope this Hump Day is treating you well.

I just stopped into Costco and scored four smallish Lobster tails for about $20. Not a bad deal, if I do say so myself.
    I would like to grill them up for lunch tomorrow. Any suggestions? I am going to use the gasser. But I am always open to using the Kamado too if someone has a better idea. I am looking for something to baste them in as they cook too. I was planning on splitting the shell and cooking them flesh side down for about 4 mins, then shell side down for about a minute. I am shooting for an internal of 135 F. Any help with technique and/or recipes is much appreciated. This will be my first grilled lobster cook. LFG.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Spinaker; May 20, 2016, 01:14 PM.

Please share how they turn out. I have always been afraid that cooking lobster on the grill would dry them out to much. Sorry I don't have any advise, just excited to see what has worked for others.

Comment

Clarified butter.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        10-4. How about grill technique? Jerod Broussard

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Google Grillin Girl....i think she has a good recipe

I like to put a skewer thru the tail so it doesn't curl up when it cooks but that is just a personal preference

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good tip!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tip! Thanks

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. I also like to slit the tail and baste with butter.

Also if you are going to serve lemons with the lobster go ahead and grill them off a bit

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Tip. Lemons on the grill are awesome.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I grilled the lemon with the lobster. Awesome move. Thank You

I'd take them to 140-145 in any two zone config you may use... Be sure to slice the shell, and add a pat of butter (and your favorite seafood seasoning) when you move it to the direct side of the grill. They don't take long, so keep a thermapen handy. If you cook to any higher temp than that, you run the risk of a very rubbery texture. That may be why they do surf and turf... you screw up the surf, you still have the turf!
      Last edited by CurlingDog; May 19, 2016, 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you slice the shell all the way through. Basically cut the shell in half?

I have been using the method outlined in the Serious Eats article I linked below and it works great. I steam the lobster tails/claws for about 1 minute then I put them on the indirect side of a two zone setup(about 350°) with my gasser and bring them up to 135° IT. I have even used the PBC with great results before.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the Tip. I will check out the link. I like the steam bath.

Malcom Reed 'How to BBQ Right' recently did an awesome You Tube video on this very subject. I'm doing his method this weekend.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Malcolm makes some great videos. I will check it out now. Thanks! Dude that video was perfect. i love Malcom. he's the man. Big boys always know how to cook it right.
        Last edited by Spinaker; May 19, 2016, 09:23 AM.

Thank You for all the great info folks!!

Comment

Spinaker, I have seen them done that way too, and truth be told you probalby can get a more even heat that way (think spatchcocking a chicken). I typically cut right through the center of the shell down the middle of the lobster tail. I know it works, but i think i will try "halving" the tails next time for something different.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha, Thanks!

Well, everything went very well. The Lobster was amazing and the steak turned out perfect. I reverse seared some Prime New York Strips to medium rare to make it Surf and Turf.

For the Lobster, I melted a stick of butter in a cast iron pan with some garlic, parsley and lemon juice. I split the tails, then grilled them on high heat for about 4 mins flesh side up. Then I basted them with the butter mixture and flipped them. I cooked them for about a minute, flesh side down. I took them off at about 130 F. They pulled right out of there shells and were delicious.

The steak and lobster combo was a huge hit. I was really pleased with the results. Thanks for the suggestions every body!!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	169857
        Last edited by Spinaker; May 19, 2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Dan, A Spinnaker is the main sail out front of the boat. But I've named myself after the reoccurring Character in Tom Clancy novels. He's the back channel into the Kremlin. Clancy was one of my favorite authors. Danjohnston949

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker, Your making me hungry & I just ate That looks wonderful!!!
          Dave

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker, That well manicured foot behind You to the Right Ain't on No Tom Clancy, I've read most but not
          All of His Books, That Gal behind You is not Some Secret Agent From Russia and I'd make Book on That!
          From Fargo ND, Dan

- Geez, where do you begin. Here, first, let me wipe the drool off my chin. What a great looking cook! I've got friends coming to visit in a couple of weeks and thanks to you, the menu is surf and turf! Thanks for a great cook and thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          CeramicChef Hahaha, I am just sharing what we all love to do here... Make ridiculous meals for friends and family. You will love it, especially on the KK. Just make sure you get fresh parsley, garlic and lemon and melt that butter slow and give it time for the flavors to mingle.

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Wilco. Over and out.

Thanks.

A tad late but I just came across this smoked lobster tail recipe on Pinterest
        Smoked lobster tails might just be the easiest and the most tasty thing you have ever done on your smoker and it is a perfect Christmas or anytime meal.

Comment

Never too late. I would like to keep this thread going . We really don't have a thread for this in The Pit. Thanks for your contribution! martybartram

Comment

Sorry if this is redundant having posted on another thread. Grilled lobster is so good. For those interested some tips form experience (while searching for advice on using the PBC for this)

If helpful here is how I grill whole Maine Lobsters. (I live in New England so they are plentiful)
            • Buy 1.4 lb. live lobsters. I like 2 per person.
            • Not just alive but lively. They should be energetic not limp.
            • I never cook a live animal so right before cooking pierce the brain with a sharp knife and cut (between the eyes while on their back). Do this quick and clean and thats that.
            • Blanch in salty water then throw in ice bath to hold until you're ready to grill.
            • Skewer from tail to head so it won't curl up in the grill.
            • Grill indirect. Done when they have a nutty scent and are deep red.
            • Eat with clarified butter and whatever you like to drink.
            On BGE time to done is about 10 mins but that's close to the coals and the PBC is a whole other thing. Will experiment and report back.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tips! I need to come back to this cook.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here