Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead Rubs Go Commercial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead Rubs Go Commercial?

One of you smart guys fill me in, I've been gone for a time. What up with this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Rubs.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	938480

Still a "smoked secret."

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Obviously no longer, that's from IG

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hence the quotations. Maybe a trial member can explain them.

I'm not sure the best way to link to a post from within another thread (if I do this wrong, someone please tell me the best way).

FYI --

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    Big Bad Beef Rub specifies powder and that is what I use. But I don't find there to be much of a difference. Chemically they are identical, one just has a larger grain (granulated). Because the grains are larger you need a bit more to achieve the same quantity of garlic. They all melt into the surface during cooking.

Commercial rubs use both, it is up to the developer.

Nobody outside our team knows this so you are the first: We are in development of a commercial version of 3 rubs and 3 sauces for release late winter/early spring. Many of the ingredients will be smoked and yes, there will be salt because that is what the public expects and without it we would be way too expensive. Shhhhh.

Here's an early draft of the label. Looks like I've died.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unknown.jpeg Views:	114 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	937091

Comment

• Mojo0209
      Mojo0209 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the logo and label. 2 color print on a colored paper. Keeps print costs down and looks classic and established. Sometimes I look at these eye catching labels and wonder what I’m paying for. Marketing or quality of what is inside.i use to work in prepress for a printer, kinda skeptical when it comes to all the bling some marketers r looking. Then again, maybe I’m not the targeted market.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally I think "Panhead’s Smokey Memphis Dust" is a little more catchy!
      Seriously though, I think the logo and label is excellent like you have it. The simple 2 color usage, the starburst around your head is eye catching, your name is prominent and the actual product itself, telling people what they’re buying, is also easy to read. To me, that looks like what a BBQ rub label should look like. Hard to explain, but that label looks like RUB.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 13, 2020, 11:08 AM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead I might be preaching to the choir here, but for your sauces, use the exact same logo of course. But...maybe make the tan background a little more orange/reddish, to help signify BBQ sauce? Just a thought.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 13, 2020, 11:14 AM.

It'd be nearly impossible to get the average Joe & Jane to dry brine separately. People won't read. People will taste it and use it and say 'it's bad, has no salt', then leave bad reviews. So, commercially it makes sense to add a little salt. Henrik ultimately went that route as well.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - a new face? This place is changing daily.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, had to update to my bush picture. Much more representative of my current state of mine. LOL tbob4

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Make it easy for the average joe. That’s the way to do it commercially.

Troutman nice to see you back... I hope all is well with you!

I need salt, but also agree that many rubs just have too much!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I love salt but I religiously salt brine all my proteins. Seasoning comes before the cook.

And thanks, good o be back !!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed on many rubs just have too much, I'm a saltaholic but have been cutting down or out altogether the salt in my homemade rubs.
      I get the importance of salt in cooking but also get the importance of less salt for a healthier lifestyle.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I missed you too. (Eyes watering.........) Seriously though, it is good to have you back, my friend. Troutman

The bigwigs are testing them pretty thoroughly before they hit the shelves so they won't be too salty that's for sure.

Comment

The salt issue is tearing me in half. You KNOW my position on separating spices/herbs from salt. It just makes sense. You need more salt on a pork butt than on ribs because of the weight and thickness. But every single commercial rub we can find contains salt for two simple reasons: (1) Consumers want the ease and simplicity and they don't understand the physics of how salt penetrates and nothing else does. (2) salt is cheap, even sea salt. Even smoked salt. So the more salt in your blend, the cheaper it is. This allows you to be competitive or make a large markup.

We want the blends to be similar to their namesake recipes from AmazingRibs.com, but be different. So we are experimenting with smoking smoke of the ingredients. These are the six we will roll out with at first, more to come:

Meathead’s Smokey Memphis Dust Spice Rub For Pork
      Meathead’s Smokey Scarborough Fair Spice Rub For Poultry
      Meathead’s Smokey Cow Crust Spice Rub For Beef

Meathead’s Smokey KC Classic BBQ Sauce
      Meathead’s Smokey Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
      Meathead’s Smokey Chocolate Chile BBQ Sauce

Notice that I change Simon & Garfunkel to Scarborough Fair in order to avoid lawsuits. Of the first blends sent to us, this was the most successful. They nailed it.

We have a tasting team: David Joachim, our editor, author of many cookbooks, and producer of a line of gourmet seasoned sea salts, (2) Clint Cantwell, Senior VP, recipe developer, champion competitor, (3) Max Good, the world's only full time grill and smoker tester, (4) Huskee, Pit Boss of the Pitmaster Club (4) Yours Truly. In addition, we are using Old World Spices and they have an awesome team of about 5 people in production, all food scientists, who start with our recipe, and offer suggestions that will improve it.

We are all tasting the blends against popular products on the market with the goal of making them the best at a competitive price. We taste them nekkid, in oil, and on food in head to head competition with top brands. Once we settle on the recipe, then we learn what the costs are and we need to decide whether to reduce markup or add more salt. This is fun and nerve racking.

At the same time we are working with an artist to design the label. We want something simple that reeks of authenticity. The sample above is not final, but it is close.

Wish us luck!

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Salt free puts one at a price point that is suicide.
        Last edited by Meathead; November 13, 2020, 04:37 AM.

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, the wife will be happy with the name change to Scarborough Fair. She could never remember Simon & Garfunkel and only ever called it Scarborough Fair in the first place...

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        That's my wifes maiden last name. I had a post awhile back on 9/4/20 saying I'd changed from calling it S&G to Scarborough Fair. Don't know if that was before or after you did.
        Last edited by wrgilb; November 13, 2020, 09:14 AM.

Meathead can’t wait! Can I be on the testing team? :-)

Comment

I love the thought and care here. I am excited to buy the ribs and sauces.

On the salt, I can tell you that some people (maybe just me) pay attention to the order of ingredients in a rub. The idea being the lower down salt is on the list, the better value you are getting. Killer Hogs rub has salt as fourth and one of the lowest I have found among popular brands, so maybe that is a good target for you too.

Comment

Looking forward to trying for sure!

Comment

The salt is okay. Remember that bbq was still really good before we were dry brining, back about 10 years ago when our rubs included salt. And, if it’s noon Sunday and I decide I want ribs, I’m reaching for the rub with the salt in it.

In fact, if you include instructions to apply the rub the night before the cook, the salt will dry brine the meat, and the other ingredients won’t make no never mind, as far as when they are applied!

And third, this way you get to keep the amount of salt properly proportioned. If it’s good right out of the cooker, it’s good.

I understand that it’s your name on the product, and you are strongly on record for advocating no salt in your rubs. But these are separate ventures. But there are people who make rubs, and people who buy rubs. If no one buys your rubs, you have sacrificed all your work to bring this to market on the altar of purity, depriving everyone of the other 99% of what makes everything you do worthwhile. No salt in the rub is correct, but it is a nuance. If the food tastes good, no one will care when it was salted.

Comment

I am in the group that buys rubs. It’s the convenience. And I can have a range of rubs in stock and ready to go. I know they all have varying amounts of salt in them. I do check the label for where on the list the salt is. And most importantly, I taste it before I apply it to gauge the salt content. And lastly, I apply the rub well in advance of the cook to let the salt do its magic. The other ingredients will be there right on top and ready to go at cooking time. Seems to work for me.

Comment

how do I order? I'll take one of each of the rubs.

Comment

randy56 We will have a link to ordering somewhere.

Comment

I like a salty taste, but I also like dry brining all my protein. So if the rub I'm going to use has salt, then I only dry brine at 1/4 tsp per lb. rate, instead of the 1/2 tsp per lb. rate. Looking forward to buying the new stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here