Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two polls to follow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two polls to follow

OK everyone, it's time for me to do the annual pork butt and beef chuck roast smokes for one of my long time customers. In past years I've used Meathead's Memphis Dust on the Pork Butt, and Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust on the chuckies.

Looking for opinions on what rubs to use for this year.

I'm thinking either Memphis Dust (a perennial favorite) or Hank's Pork Rub for the butt.

Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust, Big Bad Beef Rub, or Hank's Beef Rub for the chuck roasts.

Give me some more ideas today, and I'll create a poll tomorrow morning to let everyone vote on the choices.

If it's something I have to purchase (like Hank's) I need to get the poll complete in the next few days, as the luncheon is set for the 12th of December.

Fire away!

Best regards,
    Jim

Maybe two more polls for sauces to use. I usually don't pre-sauce the pulled meats, rather letting people choose from a few (or nekkid

Some ideas for those would also be helpful.

Jim

PS - I'm using a Kamado Joe Classic and a Flame Boss. It's an overnight cook, so it's mostly low and slow. I might turn up the heat a little in the morning to make sure there's time for the meats to rest. Lunch is at noon.

People's tastes vary on smoke, so I'll probably use apple and pecan, with a little cherry to give it that red holiday coloring.
    Last edited by jgg85234; November 28, 2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Go for Hank’s Pork rub, he might need the money.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        You getting a kick back?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It's rigged!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan, you are a very wise man ;-)

I am a big fan of Henrik 's pork rub. I also had great luck with his Beef rub as well.

For another beef rub, I really like Oak Ridge BBQ's Black Ops.

For pork, I really like anything from Meat Church.

I also love Head Country Rub. This stuff is awesome on both beef and pork.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Black Ops. Even better is their Secret Weapon on chicken.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not tried it on chicken, only pork, I will have to give this a go! Troutman

Personally, I think over-thinking the rub is over-rated. People rave about Texas brisket and it's rub is salt and pepper. That's it.

Comment

No bad choices anywhere here. I hate to sound conceited or whatever, but I like my rib rub for butts too. In case you've never tried it and might be interested.

Henrik's rubs are awesome. I am also a HUGE fan of Heaven Made Products' rubs. Their Texas Best Brisket rub isn't very peppery but it's big on that lovely umami sensation, and low on salt. Never tried their pork/rib rub, but everything else of theirs I've loved. Amazin' Cajun is another big favorite of theirs, it's a slightly spicy universal rub good on anything (literally) from eggs to veggies & salad to steak, turkey, pork chops & butts.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear @henricks rubs are so good you don't use them directly on the meat. Use 1 gram of his rub per lb of meat. Cook the meat how you normally would, then when ready to eat, snort a line of rub and take a bite.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

I really like Montreal steak seasoning for chuck roasts. MMD is fine for butts, but the last couple I have done I used Plowboys Yardbird Rub, and really like it.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Making Montreal, or store bought? I like the Mesquite rubs from the store for beef, put on really thick they bark nice. I use Hickory chunks to even it out.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I just go with the McCormick stuff, but thinking about making it sometime.

• weetodd
          weetodd commented
          Editing a comment
          McCormicks Montreal Streak Seasoning is my go to for most steaks. It is so simple and always good.

I'm still a big fan of Meatheads's BBBR on beef. I probably use it 3 out of 5 cooks, made up a huge jar of it I keep in the fridge. Interestingly enough I was watching Michael Symon's Burger, Brew and Cue yesterday and he was in some place or another where the pitmaster was mixing up seasoning for a bunch of briskets and it was the dead on MMD recipe with the addition of whole celery seed and the end. I may give that a try, if for anything added texture for the bark.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          BBBR is my go-to for many things, I even put a small dose of it on my ribs before the other rub to give them a good kick to go with the sweet. I use BBBR underneath other beef rubs for extra kick too, and it's a fine steak rub by itself.. 'Tis a great rub for sure!

I have for the most part gone exclusive with Oak Ridge BBQ stuff. I stopped making my own awhile ago. When I got involved in large event cooking I didn't have time to mix up large batches of rub and try to keep track of a large inventory of a dozen or so spices to mix different rubs.

Oak Ridge offered everything I was looking for. First off they have some of the best tasting and most unique blends of all the rubs I had tried and I've tried a lot of the commercial rubs. Secondly freshness. They make everything fresh in small batches. No inventory sitting in a warehouse waiting to be ordered and shipped while the spices are going stale. If you order from their web site on Tuesday they won't ship until the following Monday because that's when they mix and ship the previous weeks order. They do sell on amazon if you forget the shipping lag and need something quick but it may not be near as fresh.

Your rubs are packaged in vac sealed colored foiled envelopes that have a tight zip seal. No light can get at the spices which helps prolong freshness. Most commercial rubs are sent in plastic see through bottles.
        The cost is close to the same or better versus buying your own spices and mixing your own. Especially if you were buying your spices as fresh as possible from places like The Spice House or Penzy's.

Also for those of you still mixing your own Oak Ridge is selling individual spices in bulk now as well.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good information.

I like my rub for pork butt, so I'll throw that in as a contender .... Here's the post with the rub :-)

For low n slow beef, whether we are talking brisket, ribs or chuck .... I like salt, pepper, granulated garlic in equal parts. Aaron Franklin's "secret" rub

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Bookmarked, thanks!

I only ever use BBBR for beef. For pork I follow MD recipe EXCEPT I use Hatch chili powder instead of paprika.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          If you like ribs to have a little kick w/ the sweet, try a *light* dose of BBBR on your ribs first then the MMD. Yum!

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir. I'll have to give that a try.

BBBR has been my go-to for a long time now, but I just re-read the Mrs. O'Leary's recipe and I'm intrigued by the optional horseradish addition.

Comment

I vote for both of Henrik's rubs for this go-around.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            I am a big fan of Henrik 's pork rub. I also had great luck with his Beef rub as well.

For another beef rub, I really like Oak Ridge BBQ's Black Ops.

For pork, I really like anything from Meat Church.

I also love Head Country Rub. This stuff is awesome on both beef and pork.
            Spinaker please select your favorite from Meat Church so I can include it in the poll tomorrow.
            Remember, at the moment I’m collecting entries for the polls, which I’ll post tomorrow.

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Deez Nutz Honey Pecan Rub.
              Honey Hog Rub
              Holy Gospel

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are the rubs my local Q place uses! And he sells them too.

I didn't get to do the polls today. 2 customers came down with Ransomware. Busy rebuilding servers and workstations.

Any IT folks, this is a new variant of the Dharma ransomware that kept circulating last year. Microsoft and 5 ex USSR countries police busted them last December 11th. This stuff has been quiet since then, but it appears someone got their hands on the code to generate new variants again. This one sticks an email address (I've seen Hotmail and aol today) and the final file extension is .adobe.

Just a heads up.

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here