Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Last Minute Rib Rub Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Last Minute Rib Rub Recommendations

So we are about to be snowed in tomorrow around Atlanta, so I picked up a pack of spare ribs to entertain myself with. However, since it was last minute I didn't plan ahead with any rub ingredients. I have everything for Memphis Dust except the Rosemary and Ginger - will that be good without those two or should I try something else instead?

The ingredients i have on hand are your typical basics: brown & white sugar, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregeno, thyme, cinnamon, and kosher salt for dry brining. If roads are clear tomorrow obviously I can just go to the store and finish off the Memphis Dust. But if they are iced over, any ideas what I can do with what I already have? I figure you can't go much wrong with a simple salt, sugar, paprika, and black pepper combo, but I'd be more interested in what has worked for others rather than just trying something that might suck and ruin the ribs.

I also have some homemade rub I use for pulled pork left using the above ingredients, but since I haven't done ribs much I wasn't sure if what works for pulled pork would also work for ribs or if they typically need to be different for different taste profiles. Thoughts?

If you liked what You used for pulled pork, you'll like it on ribs!

Comment

• lschweig
      lschweig commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto.

I was going to say exactly what EdF said. I was going to give you a rub recipe with the ingredients that you have but then I read you have some homemade (like I do) and viola - you've already done it. If it works well post photos and your rub recipe.

Comment

Just curious........ How much snow are you guys supposed to get?

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
        DJ DeSpain commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm a survivor of "Snowmagedon 2014" in Atlanta. Took me 14 hours on a bus to get home from downtown to my bus stop in Kennesaw (24 miles), walking home the last 2 miles through snow, slush, and ice as I couldn't drive my car home from the stop. This year, I worked from home!

• DJ DeSpain
        DJ DeSpain commented
        Editing a comment
        As an additional note, as of 12:52 AM, it's about 2.5 inches of snow on the ground, but not quite as much on the streets. However, there's a layer of black ice underneath the little there is on the streets on the street in front of my house. I'm stocked up, not going anywhere until Monday!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Just 3-4" (NJ central coast)

Disclaimer: I have not substituted these in a rub but have played around in other dishes.

Based on the ingredients you listed here are some common substitutes:
      Thyme for rosemary
      Cinnamon for ginger

Play around... never know... you may find something you like...

Here is the recipe for Mike Mill's Magic Dust if you have the ingredients:
      1/2 c. paprika
      1/4 c. kosher salt, finely ground
      1/4 c. sugar
      2 tbs. mustard powder
      1/4 c. chili powder
      1/4 c. ground cumin
      2 tbs. ground black pepper
      1/4 c. granulated garlic
      2 tbs. cayenne

It is pretty dang good on ribs.

Comment

• MillerTime
        MillerTime commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Nate - might just give that a shot! I think the only thing missing is the mustard powder.
        Last edited by MillerTime; January 6, 2017, 08:42 PM.

What you have should be fine. I add ground coriander to most of my rubs, including MMD.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Coriander is a great addition!!

Thanks all for the advice. Might try my pulled pork rub or might just get adventurous and try Nate's suggestions. Only problem with mine is that it already has salt in it, so it won't play nice with a dry brine. Either way it should be fun!

Comment

Who cares bout eggs bread and milk when your snowed in. Just by golly always make sure you have an amply supply of spices on hand to smoke with. That's my motto. FYI, if I needed, I would walk to miles in the snow uphill,both ways, barefoot, to get my supply's for smoking some meats. Reckon it is just the way I was raised. The lady is always mad at me cause I have to many spices around the house.

Comment

​
          and that's just one cabinet. Not including what I have in the basement and out in the spare fridge and the pool room out at the garage

Comment

MillerTime when all else fails, equal parts pepper, garlic powder and table sugar will work well on spare ribs .... assuming you will dry brine with Kosher salt 6 hours ahead, if possible, and rub 1 hour before smoking

Comment

Well I forgot we had afternoon/evening obligations, so I had to get the meat on first thing this morning for it to be done in time. No time for dry brine, so I took ecowper suggestion with equal parts pepper, garlic, sugar, and salt and also added in paprika. I was afraid my pulled pork rub might be too spicy without plenty of other interior meat to mix the bark in with. Might not be the optimal method, but is a fun experiment anyway. First run with new SNS and DnG, so the experiment is what counts anyway, right?

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't wait to hear how it comes out

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here