Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining question

Suppose I add the salt back into the MD recipe when I make up a batch. Then I apply the MD rub, salt included, to the meat the day before. Will it still brine the same as if I added salt only the day before? Since only the salt penetrates the meat it seems like ther'd be no difference. Although, I'm assuming not, or Meathead probably would just recommend applying rub the day before instead of taking the salt out of the rub, but I'm curious if that's an option.

Only the salt will absorb, but you might end up with a kind of sloppy mess with the rub. I generally apply the rub while I am waiting for the cooker to come up to temp. Unless if I am doing poultry and then I apply the rub prior to going uncovered into the fridge.

I think others do exactly what you are proposing although.

Comment

When Meathead still had salt in Memphis Meat Dust, I used to apply that to my pork butts 24 hours ahead. The meat definitely was dry brined by the salt. The part I didn't like is that the rub itself turned into a gooey mess. Picking up the pork butt, for example, meant my hands were covered in MMD goo .... and it came off the pork butt everywhere I touched it. I think that alone makes sense as to why you separate the rub and the salt.

Comment

Also, I think there was another thread on this. You have to watch out because sugar actually removes moisture from the meat.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That's probably why the MMD made the pork butt surface so gooey

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here