Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite Brisket Rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The day before, I trim mine and dust mine with kosher salt, wrap and put in fridge. After I get the fire going, I remove and put a nice layer of 1/3 kosher salt-2/3 of 16 mesh black pepper over the entire brisket. This has worked best for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 24Oct.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	118710

Comment

• Smokin'Rick
      Smokin'Rick commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice bark on that bad-boy!

• 7over
      7over commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks fantastic! Making me want to hang a full packer in the PBC.....

Thank you all for your input. I enjoyed hearing your ideas. And I will experiment with them another time. But I think I'll stick with BBBR for this cook. I guess nothing beats the well balanced flavor profile of BBBR - with a touch of cumin to "spice" it up. I just finished trimming and salting. Well, on to mixing a fresh batch of BBBR. BBQ-on my friends!
    Last edited by Smokin'Rick; October 31, 2015, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Kosmos Q cow cover with Kosmos Killer Bee Chipotle layered on top is my current go to.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I Just picked up some Kosmos. Cow cover. I plan on using it next weekend.

I stay close to BBBR but add extra heat (the kids like it that way),some fine ground coffee (for that umami mouth feel), and cumin. Aaron Franklin talks about just fresh-ground pepper and salt for everything but I like BBBR better. I also load the brisket pretty heavy with rub because I feel I lose some when I foil the brisket

Comment

Simple 50/50 Black pepper and sea salt, then a bit of cayenne pepper for a touch of color and kick. Use a large restaurant style shaker and keep it mixed while putting rub on beef.

Comment

• 7over
          7over commented
          Editing a comment
          That is exactly what I've been doing and it's worked great so far. However, thanks to Meatheads webcast on salt, I've started removing all salt from my rubs and salting a day or two ahead instead. Then just before the meat hits the smoker I'll apply and pat on the salt-free rub. Got a set of 4 flank steaks for a party tonight undergoing that process right now.

Oak Ridge Black Ops

Comment

Salt and pepper is my favorite so far. Plan and prepare the whole meal.

Comment

kosher salt base topped by Webers Smokey Mesquite

Comment

How much lemon pepper do you all add to your rub if you're making enough rub for a 12ish lb brisket? I've never used it on brisket before, and very intrigued.

Comment

I have never tried the lemon pepper angle.

I just used some Big poppa smokers brisket rub. That stuff is amazing. Although I will be using Black Ops (Oak Ridge) this weekend. But I was very happy with the results I had.

Comment

I've used Butcher BBQ brisket rub and Big Poppa Smokers brisket and steak rub with great success.

Comment

The Texas style rubs I have tried on beef have too much pepper for me. My current go to is McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning as mentioned above by several members.

Comment

I have actually wet brined with two bay leaves, celery salt and a cinnamon stick. I use one can of life coke, and a darker beer as the wet agents. After 24+ hrs I use BBBR. It is really, really nice. I usually add a bit of extra garlic powder to the BBR too.

Comment

Dizzy Pig Game On or Cow Lick Steak.

Comment

An acquaintance or two use Tatonka Dust on everything. I can't personally offer an opinion, but if you like a black exterior, it might be the thing for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here