Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite Brisket Rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Your Favorite Brisket Rub?

Cooking a whole brisket this Saturday. Have always used BBBR in the past. Thinking of changing things up so I thought I'd reach out to the Pit community to find out if you use anything other than BBBR or Dalmatian rub (salt & pepper).

i have taken a shine to coffee...more of a olfactory hit than the heavy flavor... sweet and heat underneath are hallmarks of the rubs ive done. its a nice change.

Comment

• SoonerBQuer
      SoonerBQuer commented
      Editing a comment
      I am actually thinking of doing a bit of coffee in my rub next time. This has been a bit trendy in restaurants for steaks, so i think it's worth a try. Post the next time you do it.

I still like BBBR the best.

In addtion, the Peppered Cow from Simply Marvelous, and the Black Opps from Oakridge have both received great reviews from participants on #theRibList.

Comment

My basic approach for brisket is a dry-brine of sea salt with a generous layer of coarse ground black pepper mixed with some Old Bay on top of that for a good Texas rub. If I'm doing a cut that that I'm going to cook rare then I might add savory spices such as dill and garlic. I almost never use anything sweet on beef.

Lately I've been impressed with McCormick's Monterey Steak seasoning. Lots of bold pepper flavor.

Comment

Big Bad Beef Rub, after a 24-48 hour dry brine.

I tried some salt and black pepper the other day, not even close....fine on a steak, not a roast, that's fo sho.

Tri-Tip, I like a red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder kinda mixture

Chuck, Round Steak, Tony Chachere's....

Comment

Not a big black pepper fan myself, I keep it simple with Salt, Garlic and Onion.

Comment

I do salt-and-pepper then I give it a coating of BBR

Comment

BBBR with Cumin

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried Cumin. Doesn't take much. Nice little extra flavor.

• SoonerBQuer
                SoonerBQuer commented
                Editing a comment
                I love this for pork but i'll try this sometime.

BBBR. Exactly as Meathead wrote it.👌

Comment

Salt and fresh ground mixed peppercorns. We have a blend of black, green, pink and white peppercorns that has a great tangy flavour, far superior to plain black pepper in my humble opinion.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I second your opinion on mixed peppercorns

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep! I do that too

Sometimes I like BBBR and sometimes I like Black Op and sometimes I like S&P and sometimes I like McCormicks Monterey Steak seasoning. 😎

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to see someone else like that Monterey Steak seasoning besides me!

I've been looking at the ingredients on several of the McCormicks products and I'd almost be willing to bet they've been reading this forum as well as AR and have poached a few of our recipes. The Sweet & Smoky mix is virtually identical to my normal pork rub.

I always mix my own. I tend to go heavy on the pepper and very light with sugar. Additionally, Cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and lemon pepper in pretty equal quantities.

Comment

Oakridge BBQ Black Ops. Hands down.

Comment

Here's one I love on brisket. This is a rub that the local Jaycee's used on various cuts of beef that they'd cook in a "hole in the ground pit" covered with dirt. They served bbq beef sandwiches to the community during a
                    celebration called Oregon Trail Days in Geirng, NE. The entire process was pretty crazy. They ordered the meat at least 18 days in advance so they could wet age it. They ordered inside rounds, outside rounds, knuckles, but said that steer rounds were best. Then, 2 days before cooking, dip in liquid smoke and then return to cooler for 24 hours. After 24 hours they took the meat out and rubbed with the rub and let set at room temp for 24 hours. Anybody see any problems with this process yet? When my dad died a guy that worked with him brought over a roast that he had made using the rub, but traditional smoking methods. I love it.
                    Enough for about 12 Lbs of meat.
                    5 ounces table salt (no iodine)
                    1 ¼ TBS Brown Sugar
                    ¼ TBS Black Pepper
                    1scant TBS Accent
                    1 ¼ TBS Savory Salt
                    ½ tsp cumin
                    ¼ scant tsp Curry Powder
                    ¼ tsp Allspice
                    1 ¾ tsp Lawrey’s Seasoned Salt
                    ¾ TBS Celery Salt

Comment

BBBR with Cumin is my go to rub for beef, especially brisket.

Comment

• Smokin'Rick
                        Smokin'Rick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see many pro-cumin comments. I was thinking along those same lines. How much cumin would you add to the BBBR recipe?

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It doesn't take much. I do 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here