Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lemon pepper and...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemon pepper and...??

My wife decided to make lemon pepper the other day by putting a bunch of peeled lemon zest in the dehydrator, and grinding it up whenn it was crunchy. I was astounded at how fragrant and how much better it was than standard lemon pepper. It smells so much more like lemon than pepper, unlike the jarred stuff in the cupboard.

We often dry herbs - sage, oregano, basil, mint, rosemary, etc, so I know how much more vibrant those are than typical purchased dried herbs. I didn't expect lemon pepper to be soooo much better.

What else have you made that surprised you? What other things should we try? I want to try lime and orange zest, too, but a typical spice combo with them insont coming to mind. Ideas?

Getting ready to mix pepper with honey and drizzle on Brussel sprouts. Really good mix

Comment

I picked up a seasoning blend that has salt, pepper, cumin, and orange. I imagine you could recreate that for a good pork rub. I haven't tried doing it myself.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        skipsdaughter sounds just about like the recipe I use for Cuban style roast pork. Just needs garlic! Yum!

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this idea! Cuban pork roast sounds great.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Caffeine88 I will post the recipe

Caffeine88

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rk#post1129800

Comment

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, it looks fantastic!

Two things we've made are onion and garlic powders. We used 'Walla Walla' sweet onions to make the onion powder which comes out intensely sweet, however it cakes up readily. We use Russian Red garlic for the garlic powder. I have it on good authority from a Pit member that it "tastes exactly like real garlic" as opposed to McCormick's which was described as dark, bitter, and almost rubbery.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        I strongly suspect the Walla Walla and Vidalia are the same. While accounts of the origination of the Vidalia are a bit vague (supposedly a farmer planted onions which came up sweet and not hot, but the source of his seed is not made known) the Walla Walla was started from seed brought from the Island of Corsica. What the two have in common are federally protected trademarks, only onions grown in their respective regions may be marketed as WWs or Vids. Grow the same onions outside the region....

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        ...and they legally can't be marketed as WWs or Vids. Interestingly, seed and starts can be marketed, but finished onions cannot. So I can order 'Walla Walla' seed from Maine, or 'WW' starts from Texas, but if I grow them in the Okanogan Valley I cannot call them 'Walla Walla' sweets. So even though I start with 'Walla Walla' starts from Texas, I actually powder 'Okanogan Okanogan' sweets.

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb I always suspected this was the case, having eaten both. I had no idea you could buy WW starts, but not sell the onions as such. Marketing people.... Genius!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo