Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a French fry cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a French fry cutter?

Right now I use my mandoline but it only cuts 1/4" french fries. I would like to be able to do at least a couple of other sized like 3/8" and 1/2". French fry cutters seem to be kind of spendy on Amazon. Any recommendations?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6UX5CiI608UxaKrG-dyYaF9aOg6pYqyY0EJKX4jFzqMMSFjREqGqyJU7h_PbcSNtkDXG7_HOK_M0N6nNIgUOc5ecttWVVOGThddn1dtBiikTPLYsTzJqbWLAovRh3Q0vGtEEBQZxQNgeqWWRuGkMP3g3oq6b9ksLQzVJ2u_xM0OH2YEp4HSlu7JUEFhJnPLG9dfYahZQpDAkIfVrgFzavkEC0Ag3ucZVs8r0z8Ys0gkNm7PUCIch5CLS3UJZolT
Views:	773
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1220398

I recently bought this but have yet to use it.

I mean, for $20, I thought it was a gimme.

Weston French Fry Cutter Machine and Veggie Dicer with 2 Stainless Steel Cutting Blades, White (36-3301-W) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FPQQQNO/

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      The price is right! But some of the user review photos make me nervous.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I could share an actual review but I did feel like the user reviews plus the Weston name made it a good bet. I will come back and post an actual review once I have had a chance to use it.

I’m a fan of my Wusthof 8” Chef’s Knife ;-)

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep (+1) ... a good Chef's knife will do the trick every time.

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to recommend this but its' all about having uniformity for time to doneness.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Besides, I only make my own steak fries and a knife is the best way.

What's your mandolin? I have a Borner V slicer which also maxes out at 7mm (about 1/4 inch).

You could get just the cutting grids for the fancy presses and see how it goes without the press. I feel like if its sharp and you are only doing a few taters why do you need the assembly at all - they are offering the sizes you are looking for. I would cut the butt of the tater and stand it up and shove that grid down. Maybe you can fab a flat plate with two handles to go over the grid. . . sounds like a lot of work

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have a Cuisinart food processor but I'm also far less inclined to bust out a large appliance that has to be cleaned. I also don't think there is a rotary blade that would make bigger fries. Or is there? In any case, I think I'll probably buy a nicer fry cutter at some point because I don't want to buy one twice.

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked - their biggest rotary blade is 6mm which is the same as the mandolin. . . We don't want to clean our dumb food processor anyways 😑

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly.

Make sure you check how long a potato it can handle. I have a cheap Westmark and it can only handle pieces about 3 or 4 inches long. If the diameter is too big, you will have to trim the sides too. I sometimes have to cut into quarters so they will fit width wise as well as cutting for length.

Comment

I always worry about the cheap ones because I figure they will break. When I see ones used commercially they seem pretty substantial. I don’t think it is due to volume as much as it is the beast you are slicing.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure I want to buy a cheap one only to have to buy a good one later.

Here's one that's not to bad price wise. It makes 3/8" fries, but cutters are available for 1/4" and 1/2". You can also get cutters to make wedges:

Serve heaping helpings of fun, fresh-cut french fries with this Choice Prep 3/8" french fry cutter with suction feet! Featuring a cast iron body and handle, this durable, rust-proof cutter offers a stable, rugged solution for all your potato cutting needs! To use, simply place a potato on the shield between the pusher block and the blade frame. The shape and design ensures that the potato will remain secure in the cutter, and using one swift motion, pull the handle toward the blade to slice the potato. The 3 1/8" square cutting area produces 3/8" thick evenly cut fries to reduce prep time, so you'll be more than ready for the dinner rush. And, thanks to the included 4 suction feet, the unit can be moved rather than mounted stationary in one place! Give customers delicious, piping hot french fries to accompany their burgers, sandwiches, or subs with this 3/8" french fry cutter! Overall Dimensions: Width: 8" Depth: 13" Maximum Height: 18"

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a good price and what I was envisioning when he posted the question. I have wanted one, too. It’s not a gadget I could clutter my pantry with though. My wife would make me get rid of something of a similar size. Attjack - be careful ordering from webstaurant, though. Their shipping costs CAN be prohibitive

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I might have to just go to a local restaurant supply store although that is dangerous.

tbob4 Yeah, it's a pretty big single-purpose gadget. But my air frier makes great fries and my girlfriend likes fries too.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack - I would love one, as well. I know just what you mean about the restaurant supply stores, too. I forgot who recently posted photos of their local BBQ store. It was a giant hodgepodge of units and supplies. I don’t know how my wife would drag me out of the place.

Check out the French fry cutters on eBay. I just looked for a minute. There are some of the cast iron ones and heavy duty ones in the restaurant section. The pricing is all over the board from $65.00 to several thousand, there are a lot of them.

Comment

We use this one and also purchased a 1/4” die for it. We have had cheaper ones but something always broke, especially the cutting blades. Finally decided to spend a few dollars more and get one that would last. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gar...181FC38SC.html

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          MsTwiggy Did any one in particular catch your eye?

• MsTwiggy
          MsTwiggy commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack I did a search on Williams Sonoma and there are two options. 1) OXO Chef's Steel Mandoline which goes up to 9mm or 3/8" and has a steel deck 2) de Buyer Swing Plus Mandoline which goes up to 10mm or 0.4" and has a plastic deck. Both are around $110

They seem pretty comparable, twice what i spent on my current one but i have had mine for a decade and it's not as sharp as it once was. I did not look to see what a replacement blade costs but the product Q&A implied they were available

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          MsTwiggy Thanks I'll check them out. My plastic OXO is still sharp so I'm a little less likely to go that route but it is tempting to upgrade and save the storage space. Although my mandolin is a little sentimental because it was a gift from my mother. Today I checked to see if I could but a bigger fry blade and if course I can't because 1/4" is as far as the main flat blade can open. I was pleasantly surprised to see replacement blades were only $5! So there's another reason to keep it.

Yeah, my Mac santaku

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here