Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder Injection

Hey fellas. Going to do a pork shoulder over the holidays. Question - if I dry brine the shoulder overnight (approx 1/2 tsp per pound of meat) - will an injection solution containing high amounts of sodium produce excessively salty meat? Any other tips appreciated. Thanks.

This is the injection solution that I was thinking about using but am open to other suggestions: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EDKI8BTD&psc=1

I'd do one or the other. Not both. How big a butt? If big, +6lbs, I like to cut in half to get more bark on it. I also put a pan (with a little water) under the meat on the charcoal rack to catch drippings to add back to the meat when pulled.

Comment

I can’t say what difference happens with injecting or not, but, I have never injected food. Etc. I am probably not doing it right. But, if your fire is good and controlled, I don’t think infecting matters. Again that is one un-informed opinion. look forward to learning more from those here on their answers. Maybe some cuts are different though.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 20, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I've never injected a butt. I just add a little more salt, rub and maybe a stick of butter when I pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
          I'd do one or the other. Not both. How big a butt? If big, +6lbs, I like to cut in half to get more bark on it. I also put a pan (with a little water) under the meat on the charcoal rack to catch drippings to add back to the meat when pulled.
          It's a whole shoulder. 18 pounds before trimming it. So guessing maybe 16 when done trimming?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d likely separate that, I have found the upper section is far tastier then lower, I would cook them differently.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. So shoulder (butt) and picnic. Definitely separate those two at least. The picnic usually has skin on it also. Yes?

Agree not to do both. I think injection is overkill unless you are cooking in a sanctioned competition. Just my $.02

Comment

I do inject but not with a salty solution. I play around a bit but olive oil and beer or apple juice is usually my liquid base. If I am making a Cuban pork butt I use orange juice. I do throw a bit of rub in sometimes, but not enough to make it salty.

Comment

That's correct, it is both butt and picnic. I had planned on separating the two.

Comment

I don’t inject shoulders. Plenty of fat to keep it moist. A dry brine should be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
                  I don’t inject shoulders. Plenty of fat to keep it moist. A dry brine should be sufficient.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It’s among the best bargains for a smoker in the world. This baby cooks circles around cheap offset smokers because temperature control is so much easier. Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them.

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood including dual-tube burners that are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. Click here to read our complete review.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make their 22″ Pro Cart a great alternative! Click here for more about what makes this grill special.