Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder Injection

Hey fellas. Going to do a pork shoulder over the holidays. Question - if I dry brine the shoulder overnight (approx 1/2 tsp per pound of meat) - will an injection solution containing high amounts of sodium produce excessively salty meat? Any other tips appreciated. Thanks.

This is the injection solution that I was thinking about using but am open to other suggestions: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EDKI8BTD&psc=1

I'd do one or the other. Not both. How big a butt? If big, +6lbs, I like to cut in half to get more bark on it. I also put a pan (with a little water) under the meat on the charcoal rack to catch drippings to add back to the meat when pulled.

Comment

I can’t say what difference happens with injecting or not, but, I have never injected food. Etc. I am probably not doing it right. But, if your fire is good and controlled, I don’t think infecting matters. Again that is one un-informed opinion. look forward to learning more from those here on their answers. Maybe some cuts are different though.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 20, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I've never injected a butt. I just add a little more salt, rub and maybe a stick of butter when I pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
          I'd do one or the other. Not both. How big a butt? If big, +6lbs, I like to cut in half to get more bark on it. I also put a pan (with a little water) under the meat on the charcoal rack to catch drippings to add back to the meat when pulled.
          It's a whole shoulder. 18 pounds before trimming it. So guessing maybe 16 when done trimming?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d likely separate that, I have found the upper section is far tastier then lower, I would cook them differently.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow. So shoulder (butt) and picnic. Definitely separate those two at least. The picnic usually has skin on it also. Yes?

Agree not to do both. I think injection is overkill unless you are cooking in a sanctioned competition. Just my $.02

Comment

I do inject but not with a salty solution. I play around a bit but olive oil and beer or apple juice is usually my liquid base. If I am making a Cuban pork butt I use orange juice. I do throw a bit of rub in sometimes, but not enough to make it salty.

Comment

That's correct, it is both butt and picnic. I had planned on separating the two.

Comment

I don’t inject shoulders. Plenty of fat to keep it moist. A dry brine should be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
                  I don’t inject shoulders. Plenty of fat to keep it moist. A dry brine should be sufficient.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here