Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt - What to do with it? (Need Inspiration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt - What to do with it? (Need Inspiration)

Hi All!

I have a 10lb boneless pork butt defrosting as we speak. The Mrs. requested some chili verde, but I don't want to make 10lbs of chili verde... After I cut off around 3 lbs of the butt, what should I do with the remaining 7 lbs? I am looking for some inspiration. All ideas and/or recipes welcome! What is your favorite thing to do with a partial pork butt?

Thanks,
    Jesse

But, I have enjoyed it in homemade Ramen, Pho, Eggrolls, spring rolls, Carnita's etc....... Pizza...

Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 3, 2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      True... Carnitas would be a tasty application and fit with my Chile Verde...

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      100,000% agreement with all the possibilities listed

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I’d say something like Cuban sandwiches or portion out pulled pork, vacuum seal it and freeze those so you can have bbq in the middle of winter.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus 1 on the Cubano!

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it! I didn't even think about making Cubanos....

I am the kinda guy that makes a rack or two of ribs in my winter jacket during the biggest snow storm of the year. Call me crazy, but I like BBQing in the winter! Makes me appreciate it more

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      everyday is bbq day!

Al Pastor or carnitas are a huge hit around here!

Comment

I recently did this with a shoulder and it was amazing . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGy...ature=emb_logo

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice video!

All of the above. Take another 3-4lb section, smoke it for pulled pork. Take the rest (or some of the rest) and make carnitas.Slice a 1" chunk, marinate and braise for ramen topping.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The possibilities are endless.

EdF

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Homer Swineson and the wonderful pig. Thanks I needed that.

Pulled pork sliders, sandwiches, tacos, baked potatoes, ragu, enchiladas, soup, chili....hell I even heard that HouseHomey often baths in the stuff. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination. Maybe the most versatile protein on the planet !!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh the stories....

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ten Roger on yer last, @Brother !!!
        Pulled pork sliders, sandwiches, tacos, baked potatoes, ragu, enchiladas, soup, chili....hell I even heard that HouseHomey often baths in the stuff. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination. Maybe the most versatile protein on the planet !!!
        All True Stories, an Even More, as ya alluded to!

Never have (intentionally) bathed in it (but have), but it still makes a powerfully attractive cologne...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANDWICH 01.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	949347Click image for larger version

Name:	sliders 02.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	949348
      Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ragu 05.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	949349Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ragu 01.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	949350Click image for larger version

Name:	pulled pork sand 01 IG.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	949351

Shall I go on?

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I mean... yea please do go on! That all looks great!!

I am thinking Chili Verde, Pulled Pork sandwiches, and enchiladas

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Please, do go on, Brother!!!

Did I mention, "Please" ?
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 2, 2020, 09:23 PM. Reason: ficksed stoopid bbcode stuff

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d do, what he did!
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 4, 2020, 10:05 AM.

Remember that you're going to lose 40-50% in weight, at least, when that 10 lb pork butt is finished. You'll have enough for one meal and then leftovers for a 2-3 more creations, depending on what you choose.

Pulled pork is so versatile. It makes great loaded nachos, delicious tortilla soup, pork posole, etc.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Tortilla soup is one I ain't tried yet, many thanks fer th ideal, Milady!

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Another vote for loaded nachos - we always have those with our extra pulled pork.

Haitian Pork Griot? (May be behind a paywall at the NY Times)

Comment

How about freeze it? Wouldn't want you to overdose on it, and get tired of it,.
        Just this afternoon, I started defrosting a 1 lb. bag of cooked pork shoulder. We'll be having carnitas pizza tomorrow and carnitas tacos the next day.

Comment

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokingPat there was the one time where we had a housewarming party... and I smoked 70 lbs of pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches to feed the whole party. After about my 8th day in a row of pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and carnitas for lunch... I would consider that overdosing it!

We will probably crush it all this week... this isn't the first time I've been through a costco sized pork butt in a week!

We had a great discussion on this last year. My suggestion remains tamales. They're a Christmas tradition in much of Texas.

Comment

Add cheese, roll it and fry it in lard. Chipotle/adobo or green onions always play nice.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; December 2, 2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I would smoke the whole thing and then cut off what I need for chili
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; December 3, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              This would be my approach, as well, Brother...

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here