Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Baby Back Cook Good But Not Great--Pls Help, Help Me Rhonda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fkrall
    commented on 's reply
    Noted; thanks. I've saved Troutman's Primer!

• BFlynn
    replied
    You can also try wrapping in butcher paper. That will help keep them moist without killing the bark.

Last set I smoked for 3 hrs.
    Wrapped in paper and put back on for 1 hr.
    Unwrapped and sauced for 15 mins.

Your timing may vary.

Read Troutmans Rib Primer, if you haven't already
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 31, 2020, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fkrall
    commented on 's reply
    Well said!

• Whiskeyman53
    commented on 's reply
    Don't be jealous, it's one finger on 2 different hands.

• Mark V
    replied
    My ribs are never great all the time, I am not that consistent. Ribs are not all the same, hard to be consistently great. The smoker, the charcoal/wood, rubs and sauce, the weather all make a difference. We here are all probably too critical on how they turn out, the average person is probably real happy with what we consider just good.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    fkrall with blasphemy I can only fit two slabs of ribs, using an elevated grate, if it’s 3 or more you need to use the Weber rack.

• Sweaty Paul
    commented on 's reply
    Concur with jfmorris.

• Old Glory
    replied
    I'll defer to the experts but no one mentioned a water pan under the ribs. Not sure if that works for a Kettle and S&S but it might help stabilize temps and prevent dryness.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Was going to say that as well. Problem I see is you didn't start drinking before the cook.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Not much I can add to what @fjmorris has said
    Smoking is a relaxing past time not a contact sport sometimes doing less gets better results

• fkrall
    commented on 's reply
    Good point and very interesting, BFlynn! My 3 racks were 8.5#, total, significantly larger than those I saw elsewhere. I prefer my guy, but I was thinking of trying the smaller ones next. After your post--that's what I'll do! And yes, I dry brined, as I normally do.

• BFlynn
    commented on 's reply
    I'm assuming that you dry brined the ribs, since that's part of the last meal ribs directions. If not, you should.

How big were your baby backs? I'm seeing a lot of racks now in store at 3-3.5 sometimes even 4 lbs! What they're doing is leaving extra loin meat on the rack. That's gonna get dry. I try to get baby backs around the 2 1/2 lb mark.

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    You could add a bit less, I think the last few 5-6 hour cooks I’ve done, I’m using 3/4 full but still have a decent amount left. But I close the top and bottom vents and it shuts down pretty quick so that you can use the remaining briquettes for the next cook.

• fkrall
    replied
    Specific comments in-line, but overall what rapid, supportive, detailed, and helpful responses to my post. Thank you all. Was also wondering if I could add less than a full chimney of KBB after the 12-15 pilot group is underway. I did as instructed but that seemed to be overkill for a 5-6 hour cook.

Leave a comment:

• fkrall
    commented on 's reply
    Not gibberish at all--many thanks! Temps rarely stabilized because of frequent dome removal to rotate racks. Range was 225-260/70 per my Smoke. Biggest issue was they weren't consistent in any one range, so I had to keep making frequent microscopic adjustments each time they settled. Waited 10 minutes per adjustment ("10-minute rule") but then would have to readjust. Improvements would be less spotty dryness, but overall had good bark, good flavor, and good "feel" of the meat when eating.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here