Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Ragu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Ragu

Well you salt it and tie it up and inject it and season it and cook it slow and you rest it and you pull it apart and you end up with a big 'ole pan full of this......

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork ragu 01.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	845843

Now everyone knows this may be one of the most versatile of meats to cook; sandwiches, baked potatoes, tacos, enchiladas, stews, you dream it up and you make it happen. Well what happens when you just want to come home to a quick 30 minute meal and this stuff is screaming to be cooked. Well I have a suggestion....

Pulled Pork Ragu

Ingredients

1 pound pulled pork
    1 small onion diced
    1 cup celery chopped
    2-3 green onions chopped
    4-5 cloves garlic minced
    1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons Tony C's seasoning
    1 teaspoon each chopped cilantro, rosemary and thyme
    5 count olive oil for saute
    1 pound box Penne or Rigatoni pasta

Name:	pork ragu 03.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	845844

Directions

1) Bring a pasta pan full of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook as instructed, approximately 10-11 minutes to al dente.

2) Saute the onions and celery in the olive oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Add to that the garlic and continue for about 2 minutes. De-glaze the pan with the white wine. Season the mix with half your seasoning. Continue cooking and reduce by about half.

3) Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken stock and the tomatoes. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes to incorporate. Add the pork and the remainder of the seasoning. Stir to incorporate, continue to cook for 5-6 minutes. Add fresh herbs and cheese at the end and continue to blend for 2-3 more minutes.

You have now turned this.......

Name:	pork ragu 02.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	845845

....into that deliciousness....

Name:	pork ragu 04.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	845846

4) Final step is to incorporate the pasta into the ragu within the pot, stirring to fully incorporate and allow the pasta to absorb the ragu's moisture and full flavor. Top with some additional Parmesan while serving.

Pour yourself and nice glass of Chianti Classico, get some warm crusty bread, and enjoy Pulled Pork Ragu

Name:	pork ragu 05.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	845847
    Trout is out !!!!

Excellent! Like you say, such a versatile dish for making additional meals.

What smoke profile did you put on it for the low and slow cook? I’ve done this a few times and my wife thought the smoke overpowered the rest of the meal rather than giving the sweat and savory. So, I’ll have to use a different wood or less for the smoke next time if I do this. Just curious how you went about that part of the cook.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I always due pork butts in my pellet grill with hickory pellets. Leaves a nice mellow smoke taste in the bark, not over powering at all. I agree, you don't want heavy smokey flavor overwhelming your dish.

Looks wonderful. Will definitely have to give it a try.

Comment

Man, you just keep cranking this stuff out man! I love it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, your doing pretty good yourself.

Another winner of a recipe. Thanks, Troutman

Kathryn

Comment

I've made a similar recipe with pulled chuck. Yours looks real tasty.
        Last edited by JCGrill; May 14, 2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Looks good. Always enjoy your pics and write-ups.

Comment

A winner again

Comment

That looks and tastes like something I would enjoy. Just can't get hold of any wine st the moment or any other alcohol for that matter.

Comment

Will be trying this recipe out no doubt. Thank you

Comment

I have some leftover pulled pork in the freezer. It just might turn into this dish!

Comment

Thanks for this!!! I make something very similar, but add tomato paste and Italian seasoning before the wine and then use red wine and include carrots as well. It’s such a versatile go to, and agree with comment above about chuck (also shredded short rib works too!)

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Very nice, sir, thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here