Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First "pork" smoking (Pork Butt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8hrs & 40min we are at 194!! Cooler is ready when we hit 203F (IT). Should I keep my probe in the meet or just let it sit for 3hrs before shredding?

Comment

You can take the probe out when you put it in the cooler

Comment

And three hours minimum or max?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          1-3, longer if you need to but a cooler may not hold it above safe temps for longer than that.

That's fine

Comment

Well the butt is in the cooler, sadly the foil was popped and juices all over the place.. Put another layer over the butt and resting. Since I have plenty of fuel I'm cooking some fat I got to season the smoker.. Still frozen but I think anything will help gunk it up.

Comment

Sounds good, it's nice for things to go according to plan, but you don't learn that way! You now know the timing at 225 when wrapping, you'll just have to add a few more hours to go unwrapped. Did the foil break on the grill? If you have the butt sitting on the grate cooking, then wrap it and put it back in that spot it acts like glue as it cooks and hardens and will give you a bad time. Either put something down on top or give it a quick scrub with a brush before putting it back in. Never occurred to me that I might have to clean it and I have tore open dozens of them.

When you take the butt out go ahead and temp it so you will know how much rest time is associated with which temps and tenderness. If I wrap tight in a towel and then into a small cooler I am still in the 160-170 range after 3 hours and the tenderness is awesome, even though it is still too hot to pull. Also, try to take your time when pulling, a lot of people just smash them up and serve them, but there are often areas with some stuff you don't want to get a mouth full of, especially on the "top" above the bone where the 2 largest muscles come together.

Comment

Success!!!!! Thank you everyone for the help!

Comment

I always leave my probes in, since I like to monitor how well the faux cambro is holding temps, I am part geek I guess so I like to know what's going on. Then if it dips under 150-160 I put it back in the oven to slowly warm back up. I like to pull at 170-180ish for peace of mind.

Comment

What is this, a pork butt for ants!?! Looks good from the tiny pics How'd it taste?

Comment

Taste was okay.... Not sure if I liked the rub or wood used. Meat was near perfect, rub not so much.

Comment

WSMTish I'm glad it came out ok. There's a lot of pork rub recipes on here I'm sure you will find one that you will like. I zoom your pics in they look good 😊

Comment

Thanks guys, going to try this again but let it season longer. Maybe look for a sweeter rub, if you have any sweet rub suggestions I'm all ears.

Comment

what was the taste that you didn't like? Perhaps you had too much smoke?

Comment

Tasted like "curry" to me

Comment

Hmm, never heard that before with Memphis Dust. In the Rubs,Pastes, Marinades channel there's a few other rubs folks have submitted. Mine's in there, called Huskee's Rib Rub, works great on ribs, butts and chicken.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here