Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Ribs - Wrapped or Unwrapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Ribs - Wrapped or Unwrapped?

Do you prefer to smoke ribs wrapped after a certain amount of time or do you leave them unwrapped for the entire cook?

I explored both methods in the video linked below.

Last edited by kenrobin; March 1, 2020, 01:25 PM.

This is very personal and you will get lots of different responses. Personally, I never wrap pork ribs (beef ribs I do) and everybody in my feeding circle loves them. I think wrapping makes them too soft. But I like to sauce them and grill them off after they come off the smoker, so I need them to hold together when I flip them. So that may be part of my preference. Which do you prefer?

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I also prefer them unwrapped. I want the flavor of my ribs to be able to standout without sauce either but if I'm cooking for a large group, then I will sauce them to help make them look better.

Try it both ways and find your preference. I do mine at 275 unwrapped with a water pan under to catch the drippings.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried it both ways in the video. My average temp was between 240 - 250 and I had water in the chamber. Unwrapped is my favorite but the wrapped ribs were also good.

I use the PBC for ribs (pork) and let then hang the whole way. I don't sauce so when toothpick tender between the bones we either eat or I'll put in covered foil pan to hold in oven. Wife and son like moist fall off meat.
    Beef, I wrap as well as use a drip pan during cook on Weber.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP How long does it take smoke pork ribs in your PBC?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      For pork 3 hours is pretty close to being done on PBC.
      Just did some beef short ribs today. Also just over 3 hours on the Weber kettle running +250*.

Unwrapped with beans under them to catch drippings. 225° low and slow, no spritz. My wife likes sauced ribs, so I sometimes sauce them the last hour to let it tack up.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've done both, and can now tell ya' that you've got a question to ask underneath the question about wrapped - wrapped with foil or wrapped with butcher paper - and then beneath that, is it regular butcher paper, or PINK butcher paper!?!

Seriously, though, I've experimented and it really depends on mood and whether I want to speed things up. I prefer slow, low, and unwrapped - just like texastweeter above. I don't always have the time to do it that way, more often than not I wrap towards the end with butcher paper. (Pink or regular, I'm color blind (literally and figuratively here. )

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      When I do wrap, I've always used foil but I'm going to try butcher paper (I think mine is pink). Right now, my preference is unwrapped but time & the people that I'm cooking for plays a role in the decision.

I used to swear by the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method, but since joining AR I’ve taken to not wrapping my ribs. Just dry rub and a glaze the final 30 minutes.

Comment

I don’t like wrapping in foil. I prefer unwrapped, but two hours wrapped in butcher paper is a pretty good compromise between the two methods.

Comment

I prefer not to wrap, but I will occasionally rap (poorly, but I have fun doing it). My wife will request from time to time that I do baby backs in which I 2-2-1 them with a cup of apple juice, pour off and reduce the juice after the second 2, and then add steamed rice and saute' a la fried rice. She also requests that I refrain from rapping as well. Wives, sheesh, what do they know....

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          She just doesn't recognize talent when she sees it.

Unwrapped here - just like the texture better.

Comment

Based on feedback so far to my video, unwrapped is much more preferred which surprised me considering the popularity of the 3-2-1 & 2-2-1 methods.
          Last edited by kenrobin; March 1, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I like them wrapped but im lazy so I usually dont and they are still good!

Comment

I still like to wrap after 2-3 hours but mostly just because it allows me to gloriously baste them in butter and sriracha

Comment

They’re both really good. I mean, they’re ribs.

I used to wrap, but now I think it’s too much fiddling. They come out just fine by letting them go until the bones show.

Comment

• kenrobin
                  kenrobin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amen

I have never wrapped, but may start because my wife prefers ribs to fall off the bone...

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep - I think that most of my family prefers the results from wrapping for that same reason as well. I've not obliged them lately, but maybe I should.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris - you could always cut the ribs in half, (or whatever), and wrap one piece or rack.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RonB I’ve never actually cooked less than 3 to 6 racks of ribs at once, haha. I need to learn how to do smaller cooks I suppose!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here