Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Ribs - Wrapped or Unwrapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapped for year's then, when to the other side. Unwrapped.

Comment

My ribs get no wrap and no sauce. Ever since I had the dry baby backs at Central BBQ in Memphis years ago my rib game changed. The deep dark bark I crave barely develops by the time the ribs are done.

Comment

this is a good one from babyback maniac. Surprisingly, to them as well, foiled seem to come out the winner and butcher paper the dead loser. With naked in the middle.

Comment

I have never wrapped ribs. Hadn't even heard of it before I joined up with youse guys. Still, though, I don't think I'll ever try it. Sounds like too much work.

Comment

I know the comp guys have to wrap to get the mahogany color, but I definitely like the texture and taste more of the non-wrapped.

Comment

Have wrapped a couple times, however, prefer the unwrapped if left to my own devices. That said, if I'm cooking for my mom, then I wrap because she wants fall off of the bone ribs and if your mama ain't happy then nobody is happy and she did birth me and it seems that sacrificing a rack of ribs to keep her happy is worth it.

Comment

Never wrapped and don’t really feel compelled to try it.
                Way back when...when I first started grilling & smoking, it never even occurred to me to wrap things. So I didn’t.
                As time went by, and I got better at fire/heat control, I kept producing better food...and still had never thought about wrapping. It was only when searching for a new cooker a couple years ago that I discovered that some people wrap. O_o LOL Seemed a lot of hassle for limited benefits...and some trade offs. So I’m still right where I started in that regard.

For that matter, I’ve never wrapped a brisket either...because until relatively recently I didn’t even know that was a thing. LOL

Comment

I really can't recall if I haven't wrapped in the past or not. I have been using the 3,2,1 or 2,2,1 method for years now with a wrap up in pink paper, which I believe gets better results than foil. Coincidentally, I have two St. Louis ribs in the fridge that have been rubbed overnight. What better way to do my own test than now? Perfect timing.....

I'm imagining that the wrapped one will get done a little sooner than the unwrapped one, shooting for an IT around 198-200ish?

Comment

• kenrobin
                    kenrobin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree.... the wrapped one will be done first. Let us know which version you like best!

I cook them unwrapped and then wrap them to let them sit in the Cambro until I’m ready to eat. I have given up on trying finish the cook at the same time we want to eat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here