Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 HAM MISTAKE... or was it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to do MEATHEAD'S recipe this weekend. He calls for smoking 30 minutes before foiling... but...WHOOOOPS!!

Fell asleep and that ham smoked at 225F, for 4 hours extra! Oh great. This just happened. I went ahead with a quick foiling, glazing, and searing. Ended up over 5 hours total cook time! Internal temp 175.

I let myself down. Worse yet, I let my ham down..

I absolutely dreaded the painful results, which would confirm the stupidity of my error, and would further remind me of the money and time lost on previous cooking follies and failures through the years...

So how bad was it??
    Last edited by pitchfork_man; December 24, 2019, 10:59 AM.

it looks OK but when I took a bite, I was shocked.... this was not what I expected. At all!

It was perfectly delicious and juicy! See photos.

I want to share what I did, and why this "mistake" was AWESOME!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pitchfork_man; December 24, 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

First of all, this was a regular Kroger spiral smoked ham, on sale. Nothing special at all.
      Big green egg at 225, apple wood chips. Water pan 2" below.

First I injected with about 1 cup of Maple Syrup, grade B robust style. Tried to get it mostly in the middle areas.

Next, I opened up and sprayed water in-between all the slices. all the way around. (surprised how much did NOT run right back out, don't know why).

Smoked for 4.5 hours.

Foiled with 1/2 cup apple juice, 20 min.

opened, glazed, cooked 10 minutes.

Pulled out of oven, used SEARSALL to sear outside.
      __________________________________________________ ______________________

Obviously I was completely relieved! "Wonderful" and "Perfect" and "OMG" were the comments from folks. The smoke was indeed perfect, not too much, the flavor was throughout, and so was the juiciness.

I think the water pan, the injection, and the water spray were the "secrets" that actually saved the day! (despite the ridiculously long cook time)

What are your thoughts?
      Last edited by pitchfork_man; December 24, 2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Ham is a big solid chunk of meat and can take some abuse.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love it!!

I'm not sure the added liquids did all that much to keeping the ham moist, to be honest. Most ham has a lot of water in it already from the curing process, so IMO when I cook a ham, I'm interested in reducing the moisture content in the meat and thus concentrating and enhancing its flavor.

I recently smoked a ham at 275-300F for 2 hours directly on the grill's grate, baked it covered in a pan for another 1 hour at 275-300, then baked it another 1 hour uncovered but still in the pan with a glaze. No liquids were added. Four hours later with no added liquid, the ham was plenty moist.
      Last edited by IowaGirl; December 24, 2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• pitchfork_man
        pitchfork_man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but everybody kept warning about it drying out... so I did whatever I could to keep it moist.
        Interesting, the flavor 'reduction' makes sense.... and the higher temps were OK for your ham also.
        COOL! Makes me feel better about the long cook.
        What were you cooking on ? And, did you use Chris' glaze?
        Last edited by pitchfork_man; December 25, 2019, 11:14 AM.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        I used my new Hasty Bake cooker to do this ham. I lightly glazed it with homemade peach jam with a bit of Hatch chile powder stirred in. In hindsight, I should have used a jam with a bolder flavor to go better with the ham, but my Mister voted for peach over raspberry, so that's what I used.

I think you did good with your cook. The happy silence at the table while people were eating and the many compliments afterward that are proof you did it right.

it sure looks tasty, glad it worked out for you!

Comment

the ultimate ham recipe is one of the things here that really plugged a glaring hole in my game...now if I can just get bread and NY style pizza down...
        Last edited by texastweeter; December 25, 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• pitchfork_man
          pitchfork_man commented
          Editing a comment
          I had tried something a few years back, called "THE BREAD" that was only 2 ingredients and it was devoured instantly by the Superbowl crowd. From what I remember, the one bite I had was excellent. https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the-bread/

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I have my garlic bread recipe down pat. It involves butter granulated garlic, Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic, fresh garlic, salt, and red chili flakes. I'm looking more along the lines of getting some kind of consistency when baking my own breads.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here