Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time pulled pork on my gas BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time pulled pork on my gas BBQ

I have been wanting to try pulled pork on my gas BBQ for quite some time (and my son has been bugging me to try it too) but always found a reason not to. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to keep the temp steady enough, or I would find some way to screw it up. After reading many of the posts here at AR and everyone saying how forgiving the shoulder was I decided it was time! A few weeks ago I had an entire Saturday coming up where nothing was on the to-do list so picked up a two-pack of boneless shoulder (just over 7 lbs total) from Costco and went to work. I trimmed a bit of fat cut one in half to give me more bark and dry brined for 24 hours. I trussed them tightly to keep a few flappy bits near the bulk of the meat, slathered them in mustard and applied the rubs.

I had the BBQ at 225-240 (air probe was clipped to the warming rack above the meat), a water pan and the Amazin Tube Smoker going. After 2 hours of very consistent heat without me fiddling with anything I headed to my son's place to help with a project for a few hours. Of course the wind kicked up during this time and was blowing through the BBQ bringing the temp down to the 200 mark. I set up a temp wind shelter and got the temps back to where they should be.

When the meat got to the 150 mark I wrapped them in foil and went 2 more hours before unwrapping and waiting for the magic 204! Waiting and waiting and waiting...Moved the probe from the rack above the meat to the rack the meat was sitting on and noticed I was down in that 200 range! So turned up the heat to get to that 275 range and then at the 12 hour mark it was done!

Bark was amazing, flavors were amazing, how much I ate was amazing! My son made a batch of baked beans my wife made coleslaw and I made a pan of Jalapeno corn bread, what a feast!

So learned a few lessons. Next time the probe starts on the rack with the meat and maybe go for 250-275 right away. I trussed the meat quite tightly, is it possible that would have slowed down cooking?

Thanks to everyone who's posts I read and re-read that convinced me to give it a try.
    Attached Files

Mercy that looks good!

Comment

Interesting, I'm not surprised that it can be done, but not sure I have ever seen someone cook a pork butt on a gasser before. Nice job!!

Comment

I'm with Troutman, gassers, by and large don't really lend themselves well to smoking. Looks like you've got it dialed in though!

Comment

Great job and congrats on the 1st one.
          I was just talking to friend last night who has been done the amazn tube thing also with good results.

Comment

• Barry Friesen
            Barry Friesen commented
            Editing a comment
            I did have to refill it once during the cook as I was at 130 internal temp when the first tube was done (about 4 hours) but didn't refill it again as I didn't believe the meat would take on much more smoke at that point.

Looks good !!

Comment

to speed it up (if that's what your looking for) keep it crutches until it hits your final target temp and is probe tender. Don't crutch until bark is both the color you want, and set well.

Comment

I've done the same thing several times. When I first did it, I just had one of those metal boxes that you load up with soaked woodchips and set down by the burner. I got an Amazn Tube since, and now I've done it with both in there a couple times, one on each side. Holding a temperature steady has not been a problem for me. But my grill gets too hot if I have a burner on on each side of the butt, so I have to flip it around during the cook. As you noted, the wind can complicate things.

Comment

Very nicely done, sure looks good.

Comment

Nice job figuring the thing out!

Comment

Cool.

Comment

I made low and slow ribs on my gasser for years, no reason a pork butt wouldn’t come out great, too! Nice cook!

Comment

Looks great!

Kathryn

Comment

Great looking bark on those butts! I never would have expected that from a gas grill with a smoke tube! Amazing!

Comment

Can't get good bark on a gasser my %$#!!!!!! You nailed that!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here