Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time cooking Spare ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time cooking Spare ribs

Never tried Spareribs before. They were on sale and I have a son that likes to eat a lot. I used Mesquite chips in a cast iron box and Hickory pellets in a pellet maze on my Weber Genesis gas grill. Got to try my new thermometer as well.

Unfortunately, the pellet maze burned faster than normal, and I was out of smoke in about an hour. The thermometer was great though. The Weber lid temp read 280-300 while I kept the ambient temp at 225. My wife said they turned out really good. I wanted more smoke flavor. Not bad for on the gas grill. But this makes me even more impatient for the Kamado... Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	558.1 KB ID:	685388Click image for larger version  Name:	image (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	444.9 KB ID:	685389

Dry rub
    Smoked Paprika
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Chili Powder
    Cumin
    Salt
    Pepper
    Red Pepper flakes

They look pretty darn good. I'm trying to wait until tomorrow...

Comment

Sure look good. The ribs probably pick up most of the smoke in the first hour anyway, but it is hard to get a strong smoke on a gas grill due the lack of airflow control.

Comment

The ribs look very good. Probably not going to get more smoke profile than you got on a gasser. Most believe it comes mainly from the intial cooking period, up to about 140 degrees.

Comment

Smokey flavor isn’t going to happen much in a gasser. They tend to be very open (for safety reasons) and have a lot of combustion gases swirling around in the cook chamber, just draws any kind of smoke out of the chamber before it can do any good on the meat. Some guys try it below the grate, I’ve never had any luck. Is what it is, love my gasser for grilling but not smoking.

Comment

They look pretty darn good for a gasser. Nice job.
            You need that Kamado you are talking about 😁
            But than again if you really want that smokey flavor you’re gonna need a stick burner. There’s no comparison in flavor.
            Just saying. 👍

Comment

• Surly Viking
              Surly Viking commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I would burn through a lot of fuel in January in MN.
              One of the reasons I am leaning towards a kamado.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              True dat. The Kamado is much easier to maintain temps and you won’t have to go outside every half hour to tend to it.

They look good to me.

Comment

look good to me!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here