Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"prime"-pork-at-the-fresh-market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Prime" (?) Pork at The Fresh Market

I still consider myself a newbie in this world of BBQ, and probably the thing that vexes me more often than not is where it all begins... the butcher. I hit our Costco a lot, but also really like the meat dept at our local Fresh Market. They sent an email the other day re: "prime" pork, here’s a link to an article on their website:

Excerpt:

"Just like prime beef, the new Chairman’s Reserve Prime Pork is the upper-echelon of quality in terms of having superior marbling, a visible pink color (which is an indicator of the pH level and translates to a moister piece of meat). It is 25% more tender than other leading pork brands and the additional marbling imparts a buttery flavor to the pork."

I talked to the head butcher for a bit this morning (Louis, he has an offset and lord we get to talking) and this isn’t a different breed or anything, just higher graded pork. At the same price! Now... I don’t recall seeing any other reference in the past to "prime" as it relates to anything other than beef. Is this a new thing? Or just a Fresh Market marketing thing? (I’ll assume they do truly grade better unless someone here informs me otherwise). Or have I just been blissfully unaware all this time? 🤔

I was NOT there for pork, but it’s half off right now so I figured I’d get a couple of racks of "prime" BBs and toss them in the freezer for the near future. It’ll be interesting to see if we notice the difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	838CE072-7B32-43BA-9FB8-BED3F211DE66.jpeg
Views:	463
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	684561

Tagging jfmorris since I think he shops there occasionally too.

Reckon I'm a newb as well...
    Ain't never seen me no pork marked Prime...

I have every reason, until otherwise is proven, to believe that they are selectin out th best stuff, an labellin / marketin it as such...

Interested to see how it looks, an cooks...

Comment

I shop at the Fresh Market quite a bit too, but I haven't been in in the last couple of weeks. I am planning on going in today or tomorrow, and I am on pretty good terms with the butchers in our local market too. I'll ask about it. I haven't had a chance to make my own bacon - I need a garage fridge to cure it in - so I eat the Fresh Market applewood smoked bacon. It is pretty good.

Comment

FishTalesNC I saw this advertised special as well, but have not been in there yet - I think Prime Pork is a marketing thing, as I am not sure there is a USDA category for prime pork. Regardless, I am sure it is better than the average baby backs I buy.

I have two racks of Kroger baby backs thawing in the fridge, to cook on Monday, but might still run by Fresh Market later today, just to see what is up with these ribs. The price is about the same as what I usually pay at Sam's Club, at $2.99 a pound, so if its better pork, I'm all on it.

Comment

The local Fresh Market has become our go-to for most meats. We PBC'd (is that a verb?) a rack of their baby back ribs when they were on sale at $2.99 a couple of months ago and they were excellent. I took the "prime" as a marketing word. They also have beef that they call "premium" choice that we have decided is better than bigger grocery stores at a competitive price. They appear to use their meat sale prices to get you into their store with sales like this:

We've also gotten their prime short ribs and rib-eyes on sale at what seems like ridiculously low prices.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            PBC'd is now a verb, thanks to yerself!

It’s marketing. Maybe they source hogs more responsibly, maybe they select a bit more rigorously, but unless they say otherwise, commodity pork is just that.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree

Marketing. Pork has a number grading system. https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-stan...-and-standards

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            And if you read those descriptions, it has nearly nothing to do with the marbling. It's decidedly not an apples to apples comp to prime.

Unless they can butcher a whole carcass into it's various parts, they aren't butchers. Opening shrink wrapped/cryo bags and slicing them up makes them cutters. Actual butchers are fairly scarce and grocery stores don't need to "butcher" carcasses.

Comment

I was at the Fresh Market earlier today, and I asked about the Chairman's Reserve prime pork. The "cutter" (thanks for clarifying that, Bkhuna) told me that it is actually a grade, but the flyer they gave me says "This product is inspected by the USDA, however it is not graded based on marbling like beef". The meat is evaluated by a group called the Master Chef's Institute. Here is their site:

Further investigation shows that the Chairman's Reserve nameplate comes from Tyson Foods:

http://www.masterchefs-llc.com/2018/...of-excellence/

The ribs look really good though, and I bought a pack. Three racks of baby backs per pack.

Comment

Potkettleblack I tend to agree with you. They may have a culling process they go through or a small source they trust over another, but unless it’s a specific heritage breed or they have a controlled sourcing, it’s just good commodity pork. Our grocery chain HEB calls there’s Natural which is the beef equivalent of choice or better. They readily admit to not knowing the source (the local cutters that is) but it is better than average pork. Just don’t be fooled by the hype.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here