Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Burnt Ends with . . . . . Pineapple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Burnt Ends with . . . . . Pineapple?

I have a 4lb pork belly that I was going to make bacon out of and decided to do burnt ends. Cubed and seasoned it last night, I'll smoke it this afternoon.

I've become a big fan of smoked and grilled fresh pineapple. I was thinking about smoking and mixing one together with the burnt ends.

What do you guys think?

Update and pix below.
    Last edited by dsohmer; March 30, 2019, 02:19 PM. Reason: Updated

Sounds like a twist on Hawaiian kabobs...

Comment

I really like grilled pineapple, but I wouldn't try it mixed in with half the burnt ends, I'd somehow try a smaller amount first.

Comment

Sounds tasty ... but I'd probably serve separately and let everyone mix at the table.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here.

Uh yeah, I would try that for sure. Swine and Pineapple are great together.

Comment

Could be interesting to add some pineapple juice to either the braise or the BBQ sauce to tie the Pineapple into the Pork belly even more.

Comment

Sounds like a definite winner to me.

Comment

sounds good to me... let us know how it turns out

Comment

You can stick the burnt ends on skewers so they are easier to manuver in the pit. Leave the pineapple until the end of the cook as it is a tenderizer and you will end up with a gooey mess.

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How are you doin' buddy? I've been out a while...

I think some pineapple would be amazing I think I'll try that the next time I make these (maybe lacto-ferment the pineapple first). I would also add some spice - diced jalapeno or similar pepper to the braise.

Comment

As Ahumadora said, be really careful when mixing pineapple and/or pineapple juice with any meat. It is a powerful tenderizer and it can turn the meat to mush very quickly.

Comment

I say skewer both separately and serve separately. Cooked together doesn’t sound very appealing.

Comment

I'm with the smoke and serve separately group. One of my favorite flavors is smoked pineapple and teriyaki. You might consider that to take things up a notch.

Comment

As usual, lots of great comments and suggestions. Here's what I ended up doing:

Diced the pork belly and cut the pineapple into chunks.

Coated the belly with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub, Hot BBQ Rub, AP Rub. Left pineapple nekkid.

Put on racks and smoked at 250 for 2 hrs. Pineapple on top rack. It really dried out after 2 hours.

Put most of the belly in a foil pan and coated with honey, brown sugar and butter. Put the remainder of the belly in a CI pot with chunks of pineapple, honey, butter and brown sugar. Covered and back on smoker at 250 for 90 mins.

Uncovered and coated both pans with bbq sauce made from Rufus Teague's Honey Sweet, Texas Pete and finely diced pineapple. Reduced it down a little to cook the pineapple through.

Back on smoker,uncovered, for 90 mins at 250. It caramelized nicely.

Pork is tender but could've used a hit of something really spicy (as suggested above). There's just a hint of pineapple from the big pan and, as expected, a competing pineapple flavor in the small pan.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_191806.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	657632

Name:	20190328_192504.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	657633

Name:	20190330_082308.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	657634

Name:	20190330_083112.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	657635

Name:	20190330_085239.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	657636

Name:	20190330_110212.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	657637

Name:	20190330_110215.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	657638

Name:	20190330_131745.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	657639

Name:	20190330_131759.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	657640

Comment

Excellent cook, write up and pics! Thanks for sharing your cook with the rest of us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here