Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time with pork butt or shoulder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time with pork butt or shoulder.

Ive never smoked pork besides ribs. What is the difference between pork butt and pork shoulder? And can you share some recipes and techniques with me?

Boston Butt is a term used for part of the pork shoulder, and it is the most common one you will find for sale. The ones I buy typically have a small bone In one end, and are 7-8 pounds, sometimes more, and are usually somewhat rectangular in shape.

There are plenty of recipes on here, in the free side of the site. I usually dry brine with salt, then rub with Meathead’s Memphis Dust right before cooking. Sometimes I just rub with a salty rub from the store as I put it on the smoker. Meat can and should go on cold from the fridge, as cold meat attracts more smoke. Smoke at 225 to 275 degrees, until it reaches an internal temp of 195 to 205. I usually set my alarm for 203, but the key is ‘probe tender’, and by that, it means the thermometer or metal probe push in like into warm butter. I don’t wrap, unless pressed for time, and then only after they reach about 160. This is a long cook, 10-15 hours. Higher temps will get it done faster, but I stay below 275 usually.

Comment

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes

This is a good place to start. Lots of good info over on the free side.

Comment

Pork butts are an easy cook. Just follow the instructions on AR. The instructions above are the major points and will work fine.

Comment

Cliff notes:

Trim excess fat
          Rinse with water / pat dry
          Season with dry rub
          Cook at ~250 degrees for 8-16 hours (depending on size), until internal temp of 203
          Use forks or wear heat resistant food-safe gloves to pull apart in a bowl/pan
          Add in a little melted butter + splash of apple juice
          Add BBQ sauce to taste
          Enjoy

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood including dual-tube burners that are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. Click here to read our complete review.

Big. Bold. Flavor.

Meathead's Amazing rubs and sauce

Introduce big, bold flavor to your BBQ and grilling creations thanks to the Meathead’s Amazing line of pork, red meat, and poultry rubs as well as a KC-style BBQ sauce. Click here to read more and to purchase.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
          Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado. Click here for our article on this exciting cooker.