Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time with pork butt or shoulder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time with pork butt or shoulder.

Ive never smoked pork besides ribs. What is the difference between pork butt and pork shoulder? And can you share some recipes and techniques with me?

Boston Butt is a term used for part of the pork shoulder, and it is the most common one you will find for sale. The ones I buy typically have a small bone In one end, and are 7-8 pounds, sometimes more, and are usually somewhat rectangular in shape.

There are plenty of recipes on here, in the free side of the site. I usually dry brine with salt, then rub with Meathead’s Memphis Dust right before cooking. Sometimes I just rub with a salty rub from the store as I put it on the smoker. Meat can and should go on cold from the fridge, as cold meat attracts more smoke. Smoke at 225 to 275 degrees, until it reaches an internal temp of 195 to 205. I usually set my alarm for 203, but the key is ‘probe tender’, and by that, it means the thermometer or metal probe push in like into warm butter. I don’t wrap, unless pressed for time, and then only after they reach about 160. This is a long cook, 10-15 hours. Higher temps will get it done faster, but I stay below 275 usually.

Comment

It is said that the pig should be sainted because it is so reviled in life and revered in death. Certainly no other animal is so well used as a foodstuff. Chefs talk about cooking "everything but the squeal". There are sooooo many recipes for pork around the world. And it is all better on the grill or smoker.

This is a good place to start. Lots of good info over on the free side.

Comment

Pork butts are an easy cook. Just follow the instructions on AR. The instructions above are the major points and will work fine.

Comment

Cliff notes:

Trim excess fat
          Rinse with water / pat dry
          Season with dry rub
          Cook at ~250 degrees for 8-16 hours (depending on size), until internal temp of 203
          Use forks or wear heat resistant food-safe gloves to pull apart in a bowl/pan
          Add in a little melted butter + splash of apple juice
          Add BBQ sauce to taste
          Enjoy

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here