Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to try to tackle last meal ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things came up this week so I wasn’t able to do the baby back ribs until today. They turned out okay….and for my first rack on a grill…I’m kinda impressed with myself lol.

Here they are!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2900.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	622399Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2901.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	622400

After cutting off the membrane, I dry brined them for two hours. I then went to go set up the grill, which was a bit more challenging than I anticipated. We had a cold front come though this morning, so around 1 pm it was still gusting. I had a heck of a time trying to light six briquettes in the chimney. (I probably should have lit them in the SNS, but I had already put a full chimney’s worth of coals in it.)

I finally got them lit after using two rounds of Weber charcoal starters and waited for the grill to come up to temp. (I had the coals arranged in a snake in the SNS, with the lit coals at one end.)

Finally got the ribs on at 2:30 pm and added a decently sized chunk of apple wood. I actually got the temperature to hover between 240 and 260 a bit for the first hour. Then it shot up to above 260, nearly 270. I deliberately tried not messing with the vents, and if I did, only adjusting one of them, and then trying to wait 15-20 minutes for the grill to stabilize. Still I ended up chasing this sine wave of 235-272. The third hour – primarily due to my frustration/exhaustion from fiddling with it all – the temps stayed about 265.

At the end of hour three, the meat had drawn back from the bones just a bit. I poked the meat in several places with my Thermopop and it all read roughly 170. I wanted to pull at 190 so I let it go another hour.

Finally, during the fourth hour I got the temps to keep somewhat steady between 240 and 250. Once again I checked at the end of hour four….hmm….I’m still at 170. I then noticed that the probe went in with little resistance. Picking up the ribs with tongs, I inadvertently did the bend test and they cracked without effort.

I probably overdid these. But here are my impressions. I used MMD for the rub and I was very, very surprised they were not sweet, especially with all of that sugar. The bark was amazing. That was really tasty! I even had a little bit of a smoke ring. Also, there was just the right amount of smoke flavor. I am glad I only used one chunk of wood.

The meat fully came off the bone when you tugged at it, although it took more force than I thought it should. Towards the center of the rack, the ribs were moister than the ones at the end.

Arguably, I probably should have pulled them at the end of hour three. I didn’t think "the stall" was a thing with ribs, given their relative low amount of meat. As I was 170 at hour three and at the end of hour four, did I encounter a stall?

My temperatures are still running a little high for low and slow. The six briquettes I lit initially does seem to be a good number to get to 225-250. I think I had my unlit briquettes piled too unevenly. The SNS with the reservoir in place holds just less than a full Weber chimney. So with my full chimney amount, there were piled up a bit towards the end, which may account for my abrupt rise in temperature in the latter half of the cook. I will make them into an even layer next time.

--Michael

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Job, right outta th gate, Amigo!
      Them are some delicious lookin ribs!
      An ya even managed to git is some snaps, after hours of temp chasin!
      I hope ya join up, stick around, an show us yer hundredth rack, an beyond, brother!

Three sentences on how they tasted! Huh! "They were tasty". That’s it?
    Ok, was there anybody else eatin these things & did they have an opinion? I mean smoke rings & rubs & 3 hours vs 4 & shoulda coulda are all fine & dandy. But, did ya love em or we’re they just Chili’s ok?

Comment

lol.....abolutely! They were quite good. The bark was amazing....especially the texture coupled with the paprika with just a hint of sweetness. And the good flavor of wood smoke was delightfully present. I've eaten a lot of ribs at Chili's and none have them have ever had any smoke flavor what-so-ever. And good meaty pork flavor.

Wife liked them as well....the bark was amazing. I think she got the better portion of the rack -- the center.

They were just a little tougher than I would have liked. I may have misspoke when I said I overdid these....if the collagen/etc breaks down closer to 190/200, then maybe I didn't cook them enough.

--Michael

Comment

lol....maybe I should have done two racks? I just went back to the fridge for the 1/4 rack that was remaining only to find it gone. Wife ate them.

--Michael

Comment

• Black99vette
          Black99vette commented
          Editing a comment
          Wife finished them off -score! Many meals my wife looks over at me and say, "I love you!" At 225 I have gone up to 6 hours before and been fine on the ribs. I go for a little less tug as I'm not cooking for competition judges.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          This is about the highest praise.

Congrats on a good cook.

If you do this again, if you like sauce, a good idea is to brush sauce on both sides of the ribs for the last 30 minutes or so on the grill, and that is long enough to caramelize the sauce and set it good. Look on here for blasphemy ribs too, and you will find a good idea on how to cook your ribs in about 2.5 hours, and have that flavorful bark on all sides of each rib.

Comment

I almost sauced the ribs, but I decided against it for my first run to simply experience un-sauced ribs. Next time I do this, I definitely will sauce for the last 15-20 minutes. I am actually really curious to see which I like better.

--Michael

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Great approach!

This is probably the one thing I've done most - pork ribs on a kettle with SNS! You've read all the great advice, everything I know I've learned from these folks. One thing I'd add is don't overthink it, don't let your kettle drive you insane while you try to keep stable temps. I know - easier said than done. Let it roll, just don't let it get TOO hot (for ribs and for MMD), but otherwise it'll do its thing. Also, my experience is similar to jfmorris , I'm more on the 5-6 hours time frame particularly if you've bought the extra meaty ones. I usually do 3 racks at a time on my 26". After doing them enough times you'll just know by the look if they're ready. Enjoy the journey!

Comment

Hi, just joined and very interested in all you have to say. Have hot smoked 8n the past but want to give cold smoking a go
            have cured salmon in the past, gravalax, with great results. Would appreciate any input. Do I have to use sugar in the curing process as the missus in on another diet. I have a smoker, small, with a waterfowl above the coals
            Will this do. Oh and I'm from Australia. So I need to convert to centigrade and metric measuring.
            any help would be appreciated. Baz

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice to meet you Bazanja. Why don't. you make a new post with your questions in one of the BBQ forums? I am afraid burying it here under the topic of Last Meal Ribs is not going to get you the attention you deserve. Maybe Huskee can move this to where it belongs and delete my comment.

Welcome!

Comment

Hi Baz. Bazanja . Welcome to The Pit. I learn something new each time I visit, it's such a great site.

Cold smoking, according to Meathead, can be a risky endeavor. Perhaps you'd like to read his article on the subject here: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ats-dont-do-it

In the meanwhile, maybe you'd like to head on over to the Introductions channel and tell us about yourself and your smoker. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

It's nice to have you here!

Kathryn

Comment

Well damn... Those look 5 kinds of amazing. Why haven't I tried these yet??

Comment

Thise ribs look pretty good. Made me get up and warm up the last of my blasphemy ribs and eat them. I think it is about time I do a rack or 6...

Comment

Danged if I don't just happen to have a rack in the freezer that are now calling my name just in time for the conference championship games...

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Smokestack Lightning! Can't you hear it calling you?

• tstalafuse
                      tstalafuse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I most certainly can...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here