Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas, pork neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas, pork neck

I volunteer at a local Veterans Support Center (VVA154). We have a pantry that services 60-100 local veteran families a month. We get our main food delivery on Fridays and that is when we have 30-40 volunteers to help unload, sort, and put away the delivery. My main "job" is to cook lunch for them. I have 2 gassers, a Blackstone tabletop griddle, an outdoor double burner propane cooktop, and a large electric roaster available there, along with my home arsenal. We don't have a stove or oven at the Center (my choice since I'm probably the only one that would clean it). Periodically we get large frozen chunks of meat. We can't give them to families since we cannot thaw it and repackage it due to health department rules. so the head of the pantry will bring it to me and sneeringly ask "what can you do with this?" . Ever since I turned 30# of miscellaneous cuts of beef into pulled beef sammiches, it's his favorite game. I enjoy the challenge. I currently have 30# of pork neck thawing for next Friday. My thought is to seer them on the gasser, debone, then braise in the roaster. Thinking of using a varient of a mojo or piccata sauce with rice for the braising liquid. I humbly seek the ideas of this illustrious group of creative culinary geniuses. Thank you in advance!

Neck--whether pork, beef, lamb, or... is definitely in the braising category, and it is superb. Searing followed by a braise would be great--think osso buco in a traditional tomato sauce---or BBQ sauce, or let your imagination run wild.

IMO, neck=ox tail=shanks=cheeks...

Do leave the bone in during braising--assuming "thin" cuts with marrow exposed.

Comment

• Keiferr
      Keiferr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Willy. The only reason I was thinking of deboning was for serving size. Some of our volunteers come to work, some come to eat.

I like where your head is at.

Comment

Black Eyed Peas, to help them bring a New Year, filled with Hope...

If ya need some Collard Greens, or summat pls PM me, directly, an I will chip in, or fer any other thing needed...

I'm so blessed, this time of year, to be sleepin, indoors...

Comment

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea on the black eyed peas Mr. Bones! Need to make a mess of those. We're all very blessed. I see a lot who aren't.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, Brother...
        Makes me wish I was a Gazillionaire, even though I fully, truly know, from experience, money won't solve their plight...

It might soften things, a bit, fer them, though...

Might help me actually sleep, on th rare occasion...

Serious Eats has a recipe for grilled pig’s neck Thai style. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...le-recipe.html

Comment

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Donw!

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1F5220E-941D-4BFF-AA16-7B7A2B29A759.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	618603 Just an update. Seared the meat, sweated the onions, threw carrots, celery, and diced tomatoes in the roaster with a bottle of cheap white wine and the meat. Cooked for about 6 hours. Came out tasty and bite off the bone tender. Served with black eyed peas. Everyone enjoyed it! Thanks Willy and Mr. Bones!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, the old braise. Works every time and love the results !!!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job!

I have a pork neck in the freezer and I will go get a sack of black-eyed peas and have at it.

Comment

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        I used the wine to declare the pan after searing them just added the rest of the bottle to the mix. I served 40 people.

Great Job, Kudos, Bravo Zulu, ad infinitum, Brother! Ahhooorrraaaahhhh!

Yer braised neck looks n sounds delicious!

What yall done has far reachin impact, as yer well aware of!

Firebase Bonedaddy, forward...Out.

Comment

A question about pork neck arose today while I was reading Meat Head 's book. His recipe for porchetta (page 236) explicitly says to discard the spine as one does not "want spinal cord in (one's) broth".

So...since pork neck (sliced across the neck) obviously contains spinal cord...what gives?

Anyone?

Comment

When I seared it I checked for "stuff" and didn't find anything like spinal cord.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Nuthin like a great home cooked meal, made with love, an no spinal cord, I've always said!

Great Job, yall know how I feel bout this.

I can't speak for spinal cord bits in pork, but people are warned to avoid contamination from brains and spinal cord matter when butchering deer. We have chronic wasting disease (CWD) in the whitetail deer population in the upper Midwest. There is some risk of CWD in humans if one eats brain or spinal tissue. If you stick to only eating the rest of the deer, research is showing the risk is vanishingly small.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here